Stankie's Organics

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Stankie, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. WOW is all I can say!! Received my Attitude order today! I ordered last Saturday and it was delivered today!! A total of 6.5 days.

All my paid for and free seeds are intact/not smashed. I can see on the cardboard name cards in the seed bags little round indentations from where something heavy was placed on my parcel. More Royal Mail/ USPS's fault though. The Mandala seeds as well as the freebies look dark brown and virile.

Holler. . . . . Time to start my adventure from seed.

2. oooh what strains did you get?!

3. I ordered Ganesh from Madala Seeds. It sounds like a sweet strain, I just haven't come across any grow journals really.

I recieved DNA Sour Cream, G13 Blueberry Gum, G13 Pineapple Express, and Reserva Privada Kandy Kush (all feminized) for free.

4. damn i bet that blueberry bubblegum will turn out to be pretty wild, perfect combo of flavors.

5. #105 Stankie, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    Well my PM problems continue. I watered yesterday morning. I sprayed the sh!t out of my pots right as my lights turned off last night with a freshly mixed mixture of Pro-Tekt/Neem seed oil/hot water. Lights on this morning -- I go back to check the status and the white fuzz was already growing around the pots again this morning ~ almost exactly 12 hours after dousing with neem.

Only good news -- I have yet to see ANY indication of PM on my plants. Humidity where I live is generally below 40%. PM seems to only occur a day or two after watering. Thinking I may use plain water next scheduled feeding and see if my heavy use of soil food has anything to do with the PM explosion . . . or just resolve myself to spraying neem mixture a day or two after watering until grow is complete.

I still blame Eko Compost.

6. Hell yeah Stankie.........those are some killer pics of an awesome grow dude. Your hard work is paying off big time.

chunk

7. Thanks chuck!

I think my ladies are looking awesome too! :) I love the organic way!! Just wish I could get a handle on the pot PM issue.

8. Do you have a dehumidifier in your grow area? Sorry for the silly question if you already do.

9. I don't have a dehumidifier, but my grow room isn't sealed.

I live in Colorado and the humidity is rarely above 50% RH. For instance, it was rainy/cold all day yesterday and things are still really moist this morning and the RH is only 55%. I'd say RH is usually around or below 25% RH, especially during the winter! I grow in my walk-in bedroom closet with the door always open and a fan blowing fresh air in as well as a fan at canopy level.

The PM comes a day or two after I water, but only on the pots. I am going to water a little more lightly next time as well as just use water with no food.

10. Day 21 - 12/12

Group Shot - I lowered the growing plank by 3" today. The plants were getting within 8" of my 400w HPS, so I figured they could stand to be lowered. They are back to about a foot minimum distance to lamp.

[​IMG]

Red Dragon - Has a nice, but not overwhelming smell. She is very frosty! Making some nice flowers so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big Buddha Cheese - The smelliest!! She has a sweet, fruity smell that is amazing. She is also very frosty. I can tell she has a little more sativa in her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Purple Urkle - I don't know what is up with this strain/clone. The flowers have little to no smell. Almost no visible crystals. I'm still waiting for her to 'wow' me. :confused_2: I had to do a little bending on some of the really tall back branches.

[​IMG]

11. WoW Stankie... the canopy looks beautifully healthy man! Really nice. So, hey ya know, you seem to be going down the "not to trim" road. I think it'll be another nice anectdotal observation to compare to the "to trim" road. In any event, way nice stank!

12. Are you referring to trimming the leaves?

I have trimmed all the flowering sites that aren't right by the canopy, all the scrubby lower ones, in other words. I'll trim a leaf if I can't tuck it out of the way, but I usually always tuck. I'll even use leaves to position other branches, in a way. I only trim leaves that are blocking a flowering site.

13. #113 Stankie, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    I'm planning my soil for my Ganesh grow. Will probably start 3 seeds, this weekend or next, in some starter soil. Hopefully I receive both of my orders by early next week so I can start the soil 'cooking' process. Ordered a bunch of stuff today and think I will soon have everything I need for the most part. The only things I might need to buy I can get at my local nursery. I think this current soil might go to the compost heap after use considering what went into it. I made it hastily and with what was available at the time, which wasn't much. I would recycle it, but am a little wary with the PM problem on the pots. I ordered a large bag of EWC as well, so I am planning on using this solely instead of questionable bagged composts. I think I can source some local EWC as well to add, but the quality is up in the air.

Here is what I ordered and am planning on using for my soil mix for the Ganesh grow. I'm hoping for full potential out of the Ganesh :smoking: To members who can buy this stuff locally, in one spot, consider yourself lucky. Paying S/H blows :p

Fish bone meal
    Oyster shell flour
    Neem seed meal
    Kelp meal

Soft rock phosphate
    Sul-Po-Mag
    Minerals plus - a mix of sands/rock dusts
    EWC

Humisolve

14. Stankie

Add 1 cup of neem seed meal to 1 c.f. of your soil mix. This will help provide a systemic defense against PM - big time.

Also taking neem seed meal and adding kelp meal and bubbling for 24 hours and applying as a foliar application will help kill the anaerobic PM spores.

It's important to remember that PM is systemic - meaning that you transfer it from one plant to the cutting, the cutting now carries the PM fungi in its system which gets passed on and on and on.

Simply because you do not see a manifestation of the mildew, it is still there waiting for the opportune conditions and wreck havoc on your garden. Powdery mildew is THE most studied plant pathogen around the world - it's not even close.

There are approximately 3,500 strains identified (and misidentified) as powdery mildew. It's a bitch but once you get a handle on it you can grow without problems.

Liquid silica (Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt) is also an important component of the IPM deal (Integrated Pest Management) practiced by organic farmers. The plant can move this soluble form of silica to areas being hit and uses the silica to build defenses. Yucca extract also is helpful as the saponins contained in this extract trigger specific plant defenses against pathogens.

Liquid silica is also important for keeping the damage by leaf-eating insects at a minimum - especially spider mites.

HTH

LD

15. Thanks for the info LD!!

I ordered some seeds and I am planning on starting the process of finding a good mother to keep around. After reading what your wrote . . I am definitely throwing my current soil in the backyard after I harvest. Hopefully I can keep everything free from PM by starting new.

16. Now it probably makes some kind of sense on why I have grown the same plant (i.e. from the same seed) for over 25 years.

I'm a slow learner and I don't have the time to learn on how to grow another strain - especially the professional strains offered by the various seed companies.

I'll carry that burden to my grave I suppose - touching isn't it?

LOL

LD

17. gorgeous!:smoke:

Just wanted to stop by and give kudos to the man/woman responsible for those lovely ladies.:wave:

18. Thanks holynazi!

The fun is just beginning!! :)

19. F@ck!!!!

My Red Dragon is sending out male banana flowers mixed in with the pistols. One strain in my last grow did this also, but much later in flowering.

If it is my fault I don't know what it would be. Possibly too much soil food? Possible watering issues, too dry? Light to close? I know there are no light leaks. Temps have been fine so far.

I looked around and apparently I'm not the only one with Barney's genetics experiencing this. I'm assuming this clone was taken off a fem'ed seed. I am finished with clones from the dispensary!!

The seeds I have ordered are purportedly landrace genetics from India/Afghanistan, so I'm more confident on them not doing this on me. I checked my bag-seed jar to see what was in there last night. I have quite a few seeds marked "Good outdoor 12-2009". Maybe I'll crack a few of those in the future.

I need to think about what to do. I'm going to go hang my head in the corner.

20. Stankie,

Unfortunately, plants from femmed seeds run the risk of growing male flowers. There is a way to prevent this from happening, if you have the space and time to grow out a male plant and collect pollen.

If you can grow out a male and collect a good amount of pollen, you can selectively pollinate just one branch of your femmed plants, and it will induce the plant to creating seeds, rather than flowers to self pollinate.

You'll only have one branch that is seeded out, which isn't really a bad thing, but the rest of the plant will flower out without the risk of pollinating all your other plants. I like to use a lower, less prolific branch, and dust a few flowers with pollen. I then put a plastic bag over the branch and leave it overnight, or until the bag condensates.

Once the flowers are pollinated, the plant will devote it's energy into producing seeds (on that one branch), and stop trying to produce male flowers (which is a self preservation mechanism). It's a good trick to use when using femmed seeds from certain seed producers that have strains that are prone to going hermie.

All the best to you bro, and sorry you're having to deal with the heartbreak of finding the male "nanners" on your developing buds.

Take care my friend,

chunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.