Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Sour gummy guidance

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Temporarilycoldturkey, Dec 31, 2020.

1. So I am starting to make gummies and I really like sour gummies but when I put a citric acid/white sugar glaze on the last batch they got all mushy and, tho they tasted good, weren't really a good treat to have around. Is there a specific formula for adding the coating to gummies that someone could point me to?

2. I have not had any luck myself. They all melted together... making blobs of deformed sad, very sad bears. I found a solution after some research— I just haven’t tried it yet. Seems legit though!

Apparently there are two different types of citric acid. Who knew?! The more commonly used type which we find in stores and all over amazon, anhydrous, draws moisture from the air thus causing the melting effect. The less common type, monohydrate, has a single water molecule already attached to the citric acid molecule. Because of this, your gummy bears will reportedly hold form (according to sources)—again I have not tried this. I did find food grade monohydrate citric acid on Alibaba with a simple google search. Be careful if/when you go to purchase as it’s typically is sold as lab and medical grade. BUT there is a food grade version which is obviously whats need. Also, monohydrate is considerably more expensive, unfortunately!

Important info to note/alternative options:
    —Fumeric acid can be used but it doesn’t have an instant sour kick like citric acid dies.
    —Malic acid tartaric acids (food grade only). Malic may be a most stable... has more of a sour apple taste. Or so, we are told.

Here is what I plan on trying one day here soon. Good luck yo!
    1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup Fumaric acid, a half teaspoon of citric 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup Fumaric acid, a half teaspoon of citric acid. Good sour taste, no melting/gelling/weeping etc. Good sour taste, no melting/gelling/weeping etc

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Those silicone gummy molds work great for chocolate too. Not to junk up the thread, just saying.

• Like Like x 1