Solar panel set up in grow tent what do you think.

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by Deleted member 923969, Nov 4, 2020.

1. #1 Deleted member 923969, Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2020
    Here is a little solar panel experiment using the leftover lights that dont touch plants and it is working great its charging up solar panel amd i jave a long charger chord leading from it to use for cellphone and video games with xbox controller pretty good use of left over energy. 1604512303940.jpg

Sent from my LML212VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 4
  2. Get a bigger solar panel and use the electricity to run your lights. Free electricity. If you have any leftover you can sell it back to the power company.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. #3 Vee, Nov 5, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    I got me 12vdc 'top-up' solar panel directly powering a fan in my greenhouse is fun

but have not had mold since ...lol and true!

I'll hook up a battery once I remember to get a solar control box

I'm hoping this stuff could lead to bigger things ...lol

• Like Like x 3
  4. #4 ericmonroe, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  5. I love that Idea, lights that feed electricity back to themselves. Renewable self sufficient energy source...Sounds like a win-win to me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Just like perpetual motion machines. It doesn't work.

BNW

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Party pooper. When I was a kid in the early 1960s there was this fellow that set up a generator that used the electricity it produced to power the generator plus enough to run some other shit. He actually talked a couple of guys into investing but then someone noticed a power cord and he was charged with something like fraud, I don't remember exactly what it was. Perpetual motion machines have been used as a scam forever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1

8. Perpetual scam
    Good thread covers some of the better ones. Think it covers that one. Hell this scam goes back to 1600s if not further.
    Physics = something something
    BNW

9. I think the drinking bird may be the only true perpetual motion machine. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ever try to get some work done around a 2 year old? :blink::blush::(:eek::wacko::bang::confused_2:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Ended up getting another solar unit I'm looking into the long thin flimsy solar panels and want to build it into all 4 walls in my tent and figure out a way to reput the energy back into the lights itself minimizing the draw from the wall power to hopefully 5 percent or more. We had calculators back in school our science teacher had and would lend out and they had been powered by solar power only and the power it needed wasnt much it was able to be used inside the classroom running off the flouresent lights above all of us and ever since then ive always been interested in renewal of energy and keep it from being lost when it still can be used.

12. Maintaining a solar-powered grow room is likely at the top of every grower's wish list.

13. I tried all that, but couldn't get Gilligan to come out and peddle the bike. Ended up settling for sun light.

• Like Like x 1
  14. A solar powered grow room is a nice idea if you actually know what you are doing. A couple of solar panels placed in an area where you get good sunlight, like a roof top is best. But they need actual sunlight, grow lights do not count. lol

15. I'm gonna further my experment a bit and try out a led USB plug grow light lightstrips off amazon I wanna see if my solar panels can collect the energy the USB light strips will need as I place the light strip in certain areas to dispearce light to to where it normally would go to.

16. #19 madhossion, Feb 23, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    That's awesome to hear that you're using your leftover grow lights to power a solar panel and charge your electronics! Finding new ways to be more sustainable and reduce waste is always great. Plus, it's smart to have a backup power source in case of an outage. I'm curious to know more about the setup and how you use it in your grow tent. It can make more people think Are solar panels worth it, and they definitely are. So thanks!