Snickers finally has a journal

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by p_snickers, Sep 19, 2010.

1. #1 p_snickers, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2010
    I decided to finally start my own journal...first up are a few pics from my last one plant harvest. this thread is going to be a work in progress for a little while as I take pics, post them and add information about my soil mix and watering/feeding habits.ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Here is my last plant ~ 8 weeks flowering. I chopped it a little early because, honestly, I got impatient. she probably had a little more weight to pack on. final dry weight was 22.2g of smokable buds.

This harvest didn't yield as much as i wanted/expected but i did f*k up a lot during the grow...first off, my plant was 3 months vegged before flowering (WAY too much lime in the soil mix...ph problems for a LONG time)...it didn't stretch at all once switched...I had it in a 3/4 gal. pot for wk. 2-6 flowering. I decided (way too late) to transplant the bitch into a 5-gallon bucket. I was working with a VERY small cabinet at that time less than 30" tall. my light hung 3 inches above the top of the plant while in the bucket. one of the buds got light bleached on its top half. I definitely didn't use it to its full potential.

this soil mix was pretty much just MGOC and perlite...some lime (as mentioned before). I fed it synthetic nutrients for the first 2 months of its life then decided to adopt an organic regiment head up by the application of AACTs
    The early harvest made for a trippy ass high... SO damn good and the smoke was smooth and tasty. better than i ever hoped for.

Attached Files:

2. oh shit! that looks like some fire bud man. you know what strain it is?

3. i can't really get better pix of my current grow without fiddling around with things and...i just don't feel like it :p

126W GLH panel, 11 wavelengths, my grow tent is a simple wooden frame with panda film over top, 3 x 3 x 4 ft (L x W x H)

BTW, th pic is super white-balanced...that's why the light doesn't look purpple.....it is

Attached Files:

4. nice lookin plants man. cant wait to see the crop

5. bag seed...I have plenty saved up!

my plan for this current grow is to clone these two females next week, keeping one clone each for mothers and another each to start flowering in 1 month later. after i have those mothers going I'll go perpetual for the next 7 months or so. (i'll probably choose just one of them in the end, depending on the buds)

I have 2 other plants as well, still waiting for them to lift their skirts ;)

with this little project, I hope to build up a good stash before next summer starts to set in. I'm gonna be moving out of this house midsummer anyway.

thanks for checking the grow out! I'll try to update every once in a while but i must admit that i won't be taking pictures more than once a week. I'm lazy

6. #6 p_snickers, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2010
    thanks man! i'm planning to harvest just before thanksgiving...fitting, huh? The plants both look like they have enough indica in the genetics to finish in 8-9 weeks. I actually flipped them to 12/12 about a 1 1/2 weeks ago and they showed sex a few days ago. I'm actually going to LST both plants...sort of a faux-scrog...with those two pictured above, I plan to tie each of them down horizontally to the other pot. This should maximize my light's effectiveness.s

7. haha very nice! a thanksgiving harvest! sounds like a nice grow man

8. #8 p_snickers, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010
    LSTd the two females under the LED. my other two plants turned out male...into the compost they go!

before bending them I sprayed these two plants with a foliar spray of 1/4 tsp DynaGro pro-tekt and 1 tbsp Neptunes harvest liquid seaweed per gallon of water. once they absorb all of the spray, i'm going to lower the LED to within 8 inches on the plants. whatever i didn't use of that gallon of solution went on the rose out back

My soil mix for these ladies is a little complicated. I recycled the soil from my last 5-gallon grow (mostly MGOC) i let the roots die for a week after the harvest. I threw this in a rubbermaid container along with other soils from a few previous plants. I added some of my thermal compost, a few gallons of Sphagnum peat moss, an extra gallon of perlite, a good bit of alfalfa/Dr. Earth alfalfa meal (has beneficial bacteria in it as well), 1 cup each: Espoma Garden-tone fertilizer, Espoma greensand, espoma starter plus w/ mycorrhizae; 2 gallons of worm castings, some bat/seabird guano, 3 cups soft rock phosphate, 2 cups of organic brown rice flour, 1 cup MGOC bone meal, 1/2 gallon of vermiculite. I mixed these ingredients in at different times over a 6 week period or so. every once in a while i moistened the soil with a gallon of water mixed with 1 tbsp molasses and 1/2 cup of liquid seaweed to give the microbes something to munch on. i gave it one AACT also before putting it to use. This all made about 9 gallons of soil mix, each of my pots hold a little over 4 gallons.

I'm really very happy with these plants. I transplanted them 2 days ago, terrorizing the roots in the process. After i transplanted i watered them in with 2 gallons of water spiked with 2 tablespoons of liquid seaweed. The day after transplant, obviously, they didn't show any growth. When the light came on the morning, I measured an inch+ growth with each plant. with them growing so readily, i knew it was time to LST them.

A note on my addition of brown rice flour. I tried my hand at mycology a while ago and failed miserably. Brown rice flour was a main food source for the mushrooms. I figured it might benefit the fungi in my soil...why the hell not?!

Attached Files:

9. looks awesome! that sounds like a really good system. i remember reading about that in high times. plus it looks really kool when all the buds are growing up like that:)

10. #10 p_snickers, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010
    Made myself a screen today. 24" long / 18"wide / 18"high. used some green garden fencing that i had in my shed. I know they don't fill it in very well, but i'm hoping for a nice spread by the time stretching is over

Attached Files:

11. badass set up. the plants keep lookin nicer and nicer

12. #12 p_snickers, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2010
    I'm gonna take a few pics as soon as the light comes on in 15 minutes

The light is currently hanging about 13" above the plants. I'm still trying to get a sense of where the optimal light distance is for this unit. I'm also trying to take advantage of stretching to get those lower branches up to the screen and so i can spread out the cola some more along the screen

Pic one is the close plant close up
    Pic 2 is the far plant close up on the cola

As of right now i am definitely leaning toward the far plant to be my final mother choice. the sex showed much quicker, buds have started off stronger, earlier and are already looking thicker.

Only time will tell, however

Attached Files:

13. looks like its turning out very nicely sir! and are those lil hints of purple i see on yer fan leaves?:D

14. keep in mind that i am using LED. the light is purple. I have my camera so white balanced that it looks like day light. Any of the shadows tend to look a litle more purple in the pics

15. I'm gonna be watching this one. I think your soil mix is right on the money dude. Depending on the Water factor you should not have any issues with nutrient deficiency or toxcicity IMO. For what you're doing I would suggest distilled water if you don't have your water source otherwise pegged as a good clean source. You probably won't use over 5 gals your whole grow. No flushing and no leaching! You'll be water-only and cruise right on through!

Nice set up man. I'm pulling for ya!

16. #16 p_snickers, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
    when i water a 2l bottle does me just fine to soak each pot. makes it really easy when all i have to do is set aside some 2L bottles full of water. i'm going to water tomorrow morning with 1 gallon (between the two) of water, 1/4 tsp Dyna-gro protekt, 1/2 tbsp neptune's harvest liq. seaweed.

I came back from H2Oi in Ocean city, MD this weekend to find a black gnat swarm in my tent. Topped the soil with vermiculite, I'm gonna let them die off a bit tonight...But i do need to water them plants...they's thirsty

I feel good about this grow. So far, I have had LITTLE TO NO PROBLEM maintaining healthy green growth. I have a feeling that, after 2 or 3 cycles, i'm not even gonna have a clue as to how to diagnose overdoses/nute burns...I can't wait :D

thanks for hopping along, P38!

17. #17 p_snickers, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
    Update! clones have been taken!

they're staying under 24/7 light, 1 26w 2700k and 1 23w 6500k CFL with a 2 liter bottle (soon to be new GB...after they root :D) as a humidity dome. They're just in a spare closet...keeping it simple

in the second picture, the two on the left are from the 'far' plant in my tent, two on the right are from the close one

oh, and those pesky gnats are almost all dead, hazaa

Attached Files:

18. #18 p_snickers, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
    and so begins Week 3 of 12/12

I've decided to name the two plants. the one planted in the left container, up front in the SCROG shall be named Mona:hello:
    The on planted in the right container, to the rear of the SCROG shall be named Lisa:hello:

I'm watering every 4 days or so

Pic 1: the crop
    Pic 2: Mona's Private parts
    Pic 3: Mona's Long, Luxurious legs
    Pic 4: Lisa's Naughty bits
    Pic 5: and again
    Pic 6: The whole of Lisa...compact and (soon to be) busty...just the way i like 'em!

Attached Files:

19. Cool man, your screen filled out nicely :smoke:

20. thanks for stopping in! I didn't realize quite how much they had grown until i looked back at the first few pics i posted...my eyes got happy