Smoked/Grilled meats and fish

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by TimJ, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Here's some Landjaeger a dried german sausage 20191002_142233.jpg 20191002_143325.jpg I just took off the smoker. It is now bagged for further drying. When it loses 30% of it's starting weight it is ready.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. I would love to start smoking my own meats and cheese. I can a lot of fruits and veggies and I didn’t even think about smoking. I would gladly buy and even trade with you if I could. These look amazing and so delicious thank you for sharing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  3. It's very easy to smoke most things other than cheese. That needs a low temperature. I've just finished 5 pounds of breakfast sausage today. I'm from upstate NY. If we were close I'd share with you.

• Like Like x 3
  4. i used to have a Little Chief... good smoker. i used to have a source for fish and made fish jerky for a few years. with meat, in making jerky you lose about 75% of the weight...with fish it's closer to 90%.

• Like Like x 1
  5. myrrhlynn, I've never tried fish jerky. Sound interesting.The Landjaeger I'm processing now is a semi-dried sausage, It is more like a Slim Jim then a jerky. That's why it only loses 30% weight after smoking.

6. I’m from western NY, heading to Vermont for the weekend. What times dinner?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Just got home myself. Anytime is good for me. Your likely passing within a few miles of my home. I'm in Selkirk,NY.

• Like Like x 3
  8. We did. Stopped at a dispensary in MA. Berkshire Roots. Man they were pulling in $20,000 and hour at least. Grow, process, extract their own

• Like Like x 3
  9. the key to fish jerky is that you essentially need sushi grade fresh fish. we used to get Wahoo and Yellowtail right off the boat from some local charters. the process is the same as beef, though i first froze it very slightly so it would slice thin ... then brine it, smoke it and finish it off in a very low temp oven. if it tastes like fish, the fish was too old. most people who tried it never knew it was fish until i told them.

• Like Like x 3
  10. I've caught yellow tail and wahoo down in the Florida keys,they are both very good eating fish. I'm in the center of NY state. So I target mostly yellow perch and walleye here. Both are great in fish taco's. We do smoke trout and salmon here. My brother smoked some Mackerel. But, I haven't tried it yet. I'm still trying to wrap my head around dried fish. I'll try almost anything once. So next walleye I catch will get brined and dried. Do you back way off the salt?

• Like Like x 2
  11. i never tried a very flaky/ soft fish, though the brining process does firm it up some.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Love smoking briskets, ribs, pork butts, salsa, beans, corn beef and jerky.

So tasty.

BL

• Like Like x 3
  13. Buddy_Lee, you've smoked more than I have. I can't afford the price of brisket so I smoke chuck. I haven't tried smoking salsa,beans or corn beef either. I do make my own salsa though. I grow almost everything organic too. I only buy the cilantro and vidalia onions.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Try smoking some of your vegetables before making the salsa. Im slowly working my way to growing organicly.

BL

• Like Like x 2
  15. I'm making a few pork shoulder roasts for pulled pork over the winter months. It's hard to smoke things when it's freezing outside. The one on the left is just shy of 10 lbs. And the one on the right is just shy of 5 lbs. If anyone is interested in my dry rub or the exact process I use to smoke these speak up. I haven't posted it yet as it's a big list of spices. Best pulled pork I've ever had though. 20191020_122704.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. Not sure if I ever mentioned it here. But, our pork is raised 300 feet from my home. My brother is my neighbor and he raises 2 pigs a year and I tend to them when he travels. They got smashed pumpkins for lunch today with grain. 20191020_131449.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. I finally adopted a little chief smoker and I’ve been obsessed with cold smoking cheese! Extra sharp is amazing!! I put ice packs on the bottom and that’s been working well. It’s about 45F-55F here in the PNW but I’m still needing those ice packs. Time to learn about smoking meat and fish. Some wild caught coho salmon....need this in my life rn. And turkey legs! Lots of smoked turkey! IMG_5858.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. I love my Big Chief smoker. It's the larger version of yours. I smoked lots of trout in it 20 or so years ago. I haven't smoked fish in it recently so cannot offer any great recipes. I love smoked cheese as well. My favorite is pepper-Jack. Looks like that's what you have going? I used a combination of apple and cherry wood for smoking my cheeses. Keep on smoking and thanks for posting here.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Smoked shrimp. I finally mastered a great marinade. 20191107_182852.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  20. Started off the smoker season with some shrimp.
    20210315_152901.jpg

• Like Like x 4