Smoke Report- Nirvana White Widow

Discussion in 'Smoke Reports' started by Shiva Blaster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. #1 Shiva Blaster, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012
    This was a multi-strain grow in amended ProMix HP under a 600 W MH/HPS using a modified Lucas formula grow with GH's MaxiBloom and Koolbloom. All plants were flushed for a full 2 weeks prior to harvest, and have been curing in jars for a full 3 months now.

I had two of Nirvana's White Widow in my garden, this report is on the much smaller, very indica-dominant phenotype.

INFO
    Tester (and Grower) Name : ShovaBlaster
    Strain : Nirvana's White Widow (remmed seeds, indica phenotype)
    Method Smoked : 1/2 g rolled into a joint (no tobacco) with Zig-Zag whites.

PLANT APPEARANCE/DETAILS
    This plant was vegged for 5 weeks under a 600W MH and then flowered for 8.5 weeks under a 600W HPS was an extremely easy plant to grow......very short, dominant single cola growth with very little side branching. Classic fat indica leaves. It only reached a height of 2.5 feet, and had a very small footprint. It has a very similar growth pattern to the Northern Lights in my garden, just smaller. This phenotype would do great in height-restricted areas and sea-of-green style grows. Very low maintenance plant, I didn't have any problems with it at all. Plant not topped or trained at all, and was allowed to grow in its natural form.

This plant was by far the stinkiest of all plants in my garden, and was the only one to emit any semblance of the classic "skunky"-type odour, although it wasn't overpowering. The other thing immediately noticeable on this plan was the trichome production......this plant showed trichome production long before any other plant, and was by far the frostiest in my garden, living up to it's name.

Pictures and more details on the plant itself can be found in my grow journal in my signature.

On a scale of 1-10:

Overall plant appearance: 8 - small, compact plant, very frosty
    Ease of growth: 9 - Very easy to grow, no problems at all.

YIELD
    Despite it's small stature, this little guy was one of the best yielders of my 5 plants at a shade under 2 ounces with a total dry weight of 54g. This plant outproduced plants twice it's size, and I could have easily fit 9 of them in my tent without crowding resulting in a bigger overall yield. Another strategy would be to veg longer and utilize topping and lst.....either way, this phenotype is a great yielder for its size, with a ton of potential.

On a scale of 1-10:

Yield: 9 - very good yield

BUD APPEARANCE
    Lots of bag appeal here.....buds are small and medium sized, but extremely dense. The main buds are absolutely rocky hard with a ton of weight for their size....they explode when ground up. The buds look lighter than most of my other strains, but this is mostly because of the superb trichome coverage.....
    these nugs are absolutely covered! .This plant was harvested with 85% cloudy trichomes, 10-15% amber Lots of bright orange hairs on all the buds give them a bit of a reddish/orange hue.

One a scale of 1-10:

Density: 9 -buds are extremely dense, rock hard
    Bag Appeal: 7.5 -good
    Trichome Production: 9 very frosty

SMELL
    The smell of this White Widow phenotype has changed considerably throughout the curing process. As mentioned, the plant had a hint of skunkiness to it, and this smell was accentuated in the buds themselves after a good cure....a few minutes out of the jar, and my entire house had that skunky weed smell. The stench is thick and it really lingers.....I likely did not notice how badly this thing stunk when flowering thanks to my carbon filter and excellent ventilation.

I addition to the skunkiness, there is a definite hint of lemon present as well as a hash-type smell.

On a scale of 1-10:

Smell: 7.5 Strong skunky smell, not my favourite. Hint of lemon is nice. Odour control a must when growing.

TASTE
    Much stronger and expansive smoke than the Northern Lights which I have already reviewed. Larger hits of the thick smoke can produce some tickling and coughing. It burned very nicely/uniformly to a fine white ash.

The smoke itself has a strong skunkiness to it. The hashiness isn't really present in the taste, but the hint of citrus is there.

On a scale of 1-10:

Flavour: 6.5 -fairly generic, nothing special here.
    Smoothness: 7 -a heavier smoke

BUZZ
    To begin with, I am a daily smoker that consumes roughly a gram per day on average.

This stuff is a stronger smoke. Begins with nice rushing head high that can also be felt in the eyes, not too heavy on the brow though. Comes on quick, yet is relatively functional. The pleasant head high is accompanied by a nice body buzz......enjoyable and very noticeable but far from crippling or couch-locking, but still more of a night-time smoke.

Buzz profile: 50% head, 50% body
    Buzz length: 2.5 hours

On a scale of 1-10:

Potency: 8 - good potency, much better than what I buy locally.
    Quality of buzz: 7.5 - enjoyable buzz, good mix of body and head.

Summary

Overall, I'm happy with this phenotype of Nirvana's White Widow. The yield and potency are definitely there, but the smell and taste do not stand out for me and to me these factors are just as important. It's not unpleasant or inferior qulaity by any means, just not enough "wow factor" for me to give it a higher rating. Still a great choice for my first grow due to the low cost of the seeds and the ease of growth. High production potential with this phenotype, and a good choice for those looking to get a great yield and still get some high quality smoke.

Growth Rating: 8.5 - great yield and ridiculously easy to grow, stinky though
    Smoke Rating: 7 - decent taste, nice high, but nothing special

Overall White Widow "Skinny Skunk" pheno rating: 7.5

2. Here are the pics:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanx for review Shova. GC email notification is messed up for now ..had to hunt for ya. Maybe i'll give Nirvana ww a try. I did their Aurora Indica in 08 didn't care for it...4yrs later their product seems to have improved

4. No prob Mengle.......overall I'm happy with them. Some variability, but the quality and ease of growth were there for a low price. I'd recommend the NL over the WW, but that's more-so my personal preference. Smell and taste are important to me, and the NL had more to offer in these departments....got some really nice, sweet, fruity phenos as described in that smoke report.

5. Nice smoke report Shovablaster. Those buds do look like they are rock hard - almost looks like blue dream. You did a nice job of manicuring. I hear ya on taste and smell; that's a big deal for me as well. Thanks for the report.

6. Hey JPG, they are crazy dense! The yield on this little plant was impressive, and it packs a nice punch......if the flavour and smell were more to my taste, this pheno would have definitely have been a keeper. Thanks for the props on the manicuring.....it was my first ever harvest so there was a bit of a learning curve, but I'm happy with how the end product turned out. Glad you enjoyed the report, thanks for the comments :)

7. Yet another great smoke/grow report. The sativa phenos are probably more desireable for effect. The stuff I consumed was pretty racey for a little while. I know people also like finding the more sativa pheno in their Nirvana NL's. Thanks once again for the great detailed report, keep 'em coming if you can.

8. Thanks MB. The sativa pheno I got was pretty meh. The buds were light and fluffy, and the taste was the least favorite of my entire crop (and taste is a priority for me).....this indica-dom pheno was much better IMO.

I hope to have some more reports on the way, I've got some Bubblegummer, C99, and White Widow x Big Bud from Female seeds that are now 3 weeks into flower. If all goes well, will have some more reports up early in the new year ;)

9. Excellent review ShivaB!

I'm growing white widow currently and am on week 5 day 3 of 12:12. I took some clones from one in flower and made a mom from one of them. I'm so glad this strain....

A. Finishes fast <9 weeks
    B. finishes strong, with mass-y buds.

I never thought of her smell as skunky, to me it seems like and over sweetness smell, like a yogurt cup left out, or a banana peel ripening..... After reading that tho, those things are pretty skunky lol.

10. Glad you found it helpful, good luck with your WW. Just smoked my last nug of it last week, it was great stuff! :) Mine started to take on a real lemony undertone after a couple of months in jars, delicious!

11. #11 smellzlikeskunk, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
    Chrystal is a good mix of the two. [(nlxww)xnl] so its mostly nl, with a touch of ww. and im sure they at least chose good phenos of each to do the breeding with too. one of the best strains ive ever grown. it won an award for nirvana i believe.

nice review tho OP thx for sharing with us! :)

12. I agree with the comments on the Chrystal. I've grown it twice and I'm really happy with it.

13. Thanks for the Chrystal recommendation. :)

I now have some more strains under my belt, but would still recommend Nirvana's White Widow as a solid balance of low cost genetics/potency/ease of growth. I wish I still had some around as I find myself missing it's lemony/skunk taste from time to time, as it is very different than anything I currently have in jars.....I hadn't looked at this report or pics in a while, so thanks for commenting.

14. You should really give the Chrystal a shot. It won first place at the Dutch Highlife Cup in 2002. The first five pack of fems. I grew had three that looked a little mutant to be honest with you after about three weeks of veg. I considered killing those but I let them grow out, they turned out nice and produced sweet bud.
    The other two were beautiful plants and I took about five clones off of those two. Grew those out and had a really nice crop; about 1.5-2 ozs. of really nice dried bud per plant. Still have about four jars of nicely cured bud. Gave three ozs. to a relative who has MS and she loves it; she says it a big help with her with her pain. Chrystal has become one of my favs. and I think I will always have one or two per crop. Highly recommended.
    I know I'm going to give the WW a try after your report. Sounds like it's right up my alley. Thanks for the report.

15. Growing for the second time, buds in seventh week day after tomorrow of flowering A very good smoke easy to care for, thrives with little nutrients. I got four o's off first plant very nice!

16. Beautiful stuff nirvana is such a classic bank and ww is arguably the best hugs ever