Simple Harvest and Cure (Step By Step)

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Doh....misunderstood that sorry

2. Hi everyone. I have to go away for eight days soon. My plants will be ready for the chop maybe 4 days before I do. What do you think I can do in regards to drying and curing? I was thinking of drying them best i can and then putting the dried buds in something with very little airflow, like a big jar with 1 hole poked in it. Really don't know what I should do! There is nobody that can do it for me while i'm away :(

3. What about them boveda....if that's the name lol

4. I would hang for the time you can...then layer in grocery bags. layer of bud layer of strips of grocery bag, layer of bud. Throw bags into rubbermaid tote and put lid on..not snapped shut tho. I cut bags in half. If you leave on stems that'll slow the drying. If they get too dry, jar with boveda. HTH

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

5. #1667 Yellowskn, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    this is probably a total noob question and i apologize in advance, but could you put them in with uncooked rice instead of paper bags? or food dehydrator?

6. Would you say this is close to peak trichome harvest for an indica dominant hybrid?

Attached Files:

7. My big hang-up is I don't have a cool, dry place(particularly for the brown bag stage), because I live in a very humid climate.

So, anybody tried a refrigerator?

8. Never tried a fridge, but a tent with a few dehumidifiers inside of an air conditioned room has worked pretty well for me. To help lower the humidity further, you can lay out newspapers. They soak it up nicely.

9. Makes sense, theoretically. You mean just lay out a few newspapers on the "floor" of the tent? [I never thought of the papers absorbing the humidity....just absorbing moisture from the plants. Thanks.]

• Like Like x 1
  10. I work at a paper company. Very low humidity office.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Love the guide. Thanks for that.

On the drying part, why does it have to be dark? I want to dry in my grow space that will still be in use on a 18/6 light schedule. Just wondering why this isn't a good idea. Already have good ventilation, fans blowing in my grow space.

12. You should dry your plants in the dark for the same reason you should store your dried week in the dark. Light tends to degrade the THC. How much of a difference it makes is debatable, but why risk the fruits of your hard labor and time?

• Like Like x 3
  13. Thank you very much for the quick reply. I seen the suggestion to dry in a dark place on other guides. Never understood why light was bad. Now i know why.

Definitely not worth the risk. I need to think of another place to plan on doing my drying at. I'm still a week or 2 out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Great Guide Very Very detailed for beginners to the advanced grower/smoker .. Thank you for this great piece of info for the community ! Appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  15. great article. i,m a newbie. your plants appear quite green and lush. how did you determine time to harvest. plus, i've read and viewed quite a few books; vids; etc. i've yet to see the shredded bag/buds layer method (i'm assuming for drying). i don't quite understand the "chemistry/physics" of this method. what are you achieving. why not go from hanging to jars. thanks

16. Ole foreskin has stated hanging gets most of the water out, but unequally. The bag helps equalize the dry. ie big buds and little buds achieve the same amount of hydration. Probably why hang then jar tutorials emphasize a greater amount of time venting the jar. I like effective simplicity. Rumples method sure does seem to take the mystery out of it. Then make adjustments as you see fit.

2 things Rumpleforeskin. Thanks for the fascinating reading and knowledge. I don't believe anyones asked this one. How did you get your great screen name? Reading the thread, WE KNOW you can't blame it on a blazed night. I love it btw. Peace and prosperity (however you define it).

17. Hey, love the guide, I've just started curing my 2nd harvest (1st was too dry and never cured "properly").
    I've followed the steps and my buds are jarred up.
    My issue is that after 6 hours they were showing 69% humidity, so I opened the jars for a few hours as most people recommend. But my current room humidity (which I can't change) is 70-75%, and after I closed the jars the humidity inside was up to 72%. I then took them out of the jars and laid them on cardboard overnight, in my drying tent, with a fan blowing over (not at) the buds and an extraction fan going too. Jarred them again this morning, still 72%. They don't really feel wet - not as I would consider it anyway.
    So the question for me really is how are those methods supposed to help when my room humidity is so high? Surely leaving the jars open to exchange air isn't gonna help when the outside air being exchanged is too humid in the first place? How can I get it back to the 60s in these conditions?

18. Put a dehumidifier in your drying tent or get some 62% Boveda packs and put in jars.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2