RDWC: 2 plants per tote?

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by pvandevelde, Feb 15, 2021.

1. #1 pvandevelde, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Hi,

I researched a lot and i find a lot of old information.

I am building in a 4x4 tent a system with 6x 7gallon totes.
    the lamp is 600-1000watt
    i do RDWC

Will i be able to grow 2 plants in 3inch netpots per tote?
    That will be 12 plants in total.

I use feminised seeds.

Also, how long should the 18 hour period be?

And will the plants not grow too big?

I use 2 inch bulkheads with an opengrow nutrient controller: GroLab™ Doser Kit.

For ow the only negeative point i found was that it is difficult to separate a plant when one is sick.

Best regards,

PV

I now grow on soil and also have 12 plants, works perfect, i hav 1gram per watt yield and hope to get bigger yield.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I've been playing around with multiple plant containers, container size, and number of plants per sq ft, with autos in gravity-fed DWC.
    Since there is little control over growth without pruning, my comments might not strictly apply.

12 plant in 16 sq ft is too many, unless you are planning a SeaOfGreen.

Multiple plants per container is easily doable.
    My first ever grow was 6 plants in a 3 ft x 3 ft, which was way too many.
    Even 4 plants with ~ 2 sq ft each was too crowded, so I tried 2 plants in some 2 ft x 4 ft tents, which still isn't enough room.

I've also tried different size grow vessels.
    Including 2 plants in 15 gallons.
    Giving autos 7+ gallons each led to huge, uncontrollable plants.
    Now I'm using single, 5 gallon totes filled about half way, and it seems to be optimal.

In the future I'll be growing 1 plant in a 3 x 3 tent, and either 1 or 2 in the 2 x 4 tents, depending on strain.

3. #3 pvandevelde, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Hi, how long do you grow in 18 hours of light?

I am planning max 7 days of 18 hours, do you think that is doable for 12 plants then? no way more than 14 days. maybe even 0 days.

My totes will probably be filled also half way or 2/3, 5 gallons for 2 plants. what do you think?

do they remain smaller if they are with two in a tote? than 1 the same tote?

What can you say about two plants in 1 tote?

what do you think about my plan? how would you see a sog then? no veg time?

now i am growing on soil and i have 12 plants in a 4x4 tent... i just want to do the same with RDWC & get bigger buds?

will 1 plant de the dominant and make the other stunt ?

i want to harvest every 2 months ... i will need pre-grow tent also.

Thanks for the anwser!!!

4. I've experimented with 2-plant, 10 gallon totes, filled halfway, and they work fine.
    But I've switched to single plant, 5 gallon totes filled about 2/3.
    Tweaking ppm is more difficult in multiple plant containers, but not by a lot.
    The main reason I switched is because I worried about uniformity of the liquid in a tote 2+ feet long.
    But I might switch back.
    Hydro plants can get huge, and grow into the lights, so tall plant vessels can cause problems.
    You will experience much more ferocious growth in hydro, but bud size might not be significantly bigger.

I'm not a photo grower, but some people use 24 hours of light for veg.
    I only have annecdotal evidence at this point, but I do think less reservoir space keeps plants a bit smaller, like soil grower know.

Your plan should work, but expect a jungle.

The plants are likely to have random sizes, but a single plant is unlikely to dominate.

I solve the monthly harvest problem by growing autos in several different spaces, staggered in time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hi, thanks! maybe half tote for veg and full for flower hehe, I will experiment.
    EC & PH will be controlled by a computer.
    Even if it is not a lot bigger, the bud, I will at least don't have to water them anymore...
    i do recirculating deep water, so everything is connected :)

6. Hello,

I'm also experimenting with Aeroponics but for what i could read it's better to have 2 plants as maximum cause it can get too crowded as @bkarnaze said.

It also depends on your build but if you don't have too much space then it cat get really messy.

Let me know how yours is going, ill be showing mine soon :)

7. Hi, I am planning on zero days veg, and very little nutrition in the beginning. to cur down on cycle time of plants

8. That's probably the best that you can do

9. I have been doing 3 autos per 7 gallon bucket.. this is in a 3x3 there is also a photo plant in the res I need to switch to its own bucket soon.
    20210217_120554.jpg 20210217_120548.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. I like that idea. Is that in a tote? I’m trying to figure out a way to get away from individual buckets.

11. It is just a 7 gallon square food safe bucket. Brand name is ez store. They are not a cheap bucket and the current culture 4 site lid is about 25 bucks. The ez store lid that you can buy is not very well designed for making multiple holes in. I have only done one run fully with this 3/4 in one bucket but here is the harvest 3x grapey walter by mephisto.
    20210113_055340.jpg 20210117_084728.jpg 20210117_084945.jpg

• Like Like x 1