R.V or Bus?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Dizzy, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Me an my Husband been saving our money a really long time an we have wanted one of these I cant remember if they called a R.V or a Bus but you guys know what imean? Its basically a House on Weels? Well anyways we going to get one soon because we want to take another Trip to the West Coast like Arizona...an California again because we haven't been out that way since I was pregnant with Kyra an that was over 9 years ago. Well anyways I was just wondering if anyone else ever drive one of these before an is it hard to do? Also we will have in our Back Yard as well so the kids can stay the Night in it an have Sleep Overs if they want to :)

~Toni~

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. I had a 1962 GM greyhound bus professionally converted into Motor Home .
    Had a v8 8/71 Detroit diesel ..

I had to swap motor in Philly ,,, that was 12 grand ..
    I just bought a 2004 Dodge crew cad 4x4 diesel ram 2500 so I can put my overhead camper on and pull my boat .
    I get 16 MPG .
    I suggest staying away from gas engines ,, the ford triton and the GM gas motors in large motor homes don't go much over 60.000 miles without starting to have issues ..
    Might be better of renting a nice bus style motor home for your trip ..

I have 22k into my pick up and 8 k into a overhead camper then my 22 ft boat ..

You get coming back from Cali hyway 80 feel free to drop in ..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. RV's aren't hard to drive, but the longer the vehicle, the more difficulties you'll encounter. Anything under 20 feet or so is hardly different than driving a large pickup truck. With just two of you I'd recommend one of these smaller rigs.

Class types for RVs are "A" (huge and bus-like motorhomes), "B" (small, similar to vans), and "C" (smaller than A's but larger than B's). Again with only two people you really shouldn't need a class A motorhome.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. girl you adventurous. i'd fly and then spend the extra money on building a dope playhouse for the kid at home. they have some super cute tiny houses and playhouses. i think that's the term you're looking for.

everyone i know who has an RV at home has issues with the air getting old, stale and moldy smelling when it is being stored. don't know about your area but people get them here and then complain about the maintenance while storing them. i'd get a big cool van with seats that fold down if i wanted to buy something. they have some cool gypsy vanlife vans.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. I'm pretty into Motorhomes.. What's your budget?
    My goal is to upgrade to a late 80's - early 90's Prevost XL, but I am a mechanic and know airbrakes and such..
    Yes they are maintenance pigs.. Imagine compacting your entire property, from well, septic, and electric, and further complicating that by putting it on wheels with an engine and steering.. Their are a LOT of systems to maintain on a RV..

They are easier to drive than full sized tractor trailers by far, but most of them are flimsy pieces of junk that won't last the test of time like real bus conversions do..

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. #6 old shol4evr, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    delete

• Winner Winner x 2

7. I don't like to fly it give me anxiety attacks unless I am very medicated first. I only fly any few times in my life an it was To Ireland an then back here to America. Thank for the reply tho Skunker I appreciate the help man!!!

Im not sure the Budget my husband handles all that stuff tbh I don't know much about numbers an stuff. sorry My hubby a Mechanic too so im sure he knows all the facts on it but iono much for my self that why I made this thread. Thank yoou for the reply Grow :)

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thank you everyone else too an if anybody else want to reply feel free I like hearing yall thoughts on this :) :love:

~Toni~

• Winner Winner x 1

9. You should get a camper van/motorised home T:D I used to rent one & go fishing in it for a week when I was younger :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1

10. I was gon ask you yesterday but I forgot...what do you mean by Play Houses an where would you get those at?

Yep we seriously considering it Brews...Sounds like you had fun with those too man.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. I'd get a travel trailer you attach to your truck and pull along. That way you have a vehicle to drive while the camper can stay parked wherever it is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1

12. Theres that idea too lol thanks Forty that's a good one.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 2
  13. #13 old shol4evr, Feb 27, 2020
    delete

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Oh that sounds sick! I'd love to chill around in an RV for a while touring the countryside.

• Winner Winner x 1

15. Oh that's beautiful as well ill have to see what the man thinks as well tho. I know the kids would love it tho that's a great Idea.

Thank you Peaceful maybe you will get to do it sometimes as well man :)

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  16. I hope so. I need to roam girl! The wilds are calling me.

• Creative Creative x 1

17. Oh ok thank for the advise old shol. Ill have to talk to him about lol we still haven't even bought anyting yet so anyting is possible :)

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  18. #19 old shol4evr, Feb 28, 2020
    delete

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. This sounds fun! RV/Bus might be a bit big if it’s just for a trip. If you’re living in it for quite awhile then it makes sense.

If it’s just the two of you get a camper van. I travelled around New Zealand in a camper van with a girlfriend way back in the day. It was awesome. We had a toilet, shower, and little stove/fridge and a small heater for when it got really cold. Table in the back converted into a bed.

It is more about the adventure and less about the vehicle. Enjoy it!

• Winner Winner x 1