Purposefully drown plants for 10 days pre harvest?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Sonoma473, Sep 13, 2020.

1. I am about two weeks away from my indoor harvest and I read in “rollitup” that some guys purposefully submerge their plants in buckets full of water to essentially drown them for the final ten days- or until the plant stops wicking and it is a sort of cure that has tremendous effects. Like slowly suffocating the plant for slow fermentation or some shit like that. Has anyone tried this? Thanks!

2. the best thing that will result from that is mold. people will some times water cure if they got bugs, but its a stupid idea otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

3. How do u know its a “stupid” idea? Is that ur professional horticultural opinion or.....? These people didn't think it was a stupid idea and said actual science backs the idea.
    Drowning Plant Prior To Harvest

• Like Like x 1
  4. i have grown weed for 15 years, yes it is my profession. and yes my opinion is that this is a fantastic way to grow mold. if you want to ruin a crop based of the sudo science a few people linked in a thread from 2010 then go for it.

• Agree Agree x 2

5. Lmfao do you realize how old that shit is :D

Scientific studies and weed didnt even go together back then. Quit worrying about drowning or drying out your plants before harvest and learn how to properly dry and cure.

Starches and chlorophyll are broken down during this time.

Also toxicities and deficiencies lead to different tastes.

FYI you literally stated "these people said science backed it"

Bro you really believe everything someome says?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Im not gonna argue with u idiots. Science does back it up and u would know that if u actually read the thread and looked at the links which i know u didnt because its like an hour read. I didnt request two blowhard know it alls who have never tried it before to belittle me. I simply asked if anyone tried it before. Period. And screw your “15 years of experience” because Ive been growing since the early 70s. Before you were daddys little squirt bitch. So what? Nobody knows everything. I never tried this method and was simply curious if anyone tried it. Maybe u should actually read the thread and the science before u spout your holier then thou bullshit. And oh yea. Fuck off. Fuckin pricks.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. #7 old shol4evr, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    delete

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Here's what I generally do. Read/watch 100+ articles/videos. 95% of them generally say the same thing. I try to do what 95% of successful growers have done. Not saying that I wouldn't experiment occasionally and try stuff. But for a first run or a needed run why take chances.

9. Im not looking to be “liked” dweeb. I asked a serious question and got two condescending, facetious answers. Including yours that would make it 3 now. Its not difficult to surmise that some people on this forum are into power tripping more then they are into being helpful. So yea-dont worry-I will never ask any more questions on this “we are the reefer Gods” pathetic power tripping forum. You dont know how to actually engage. So again...fuck off yo. Sick of assholes.

10. Give it a try with 2 plants. One with and one without.

11. This is exactly the same response the guy on ROI got at first too. lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. #12 old shol4evr, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    delete

13. Nope Don't Drown the the Plants Please it is Mean! I Mean No Offense tho!

~Toni~

14. I'm doing a scientific study dunking my plants in gasoline 10 days pre harvest. I got it of RIU give it a shot bro

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. this is the issue with learning on the web

1 learner says shit others agree

so is correct in the mind of the noob

before Trump peeps thought for themselves?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Water curing works if you want to make weed not smell, as much and is easier to smoke in public!

17. Make it 4 assholes who think it's a silly idea. It sounds like the tips from the Old Farmer's Almanac.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. I read the thread on roll it up and despite what they said I've found no information on this subject other than peoples opinions that it enhances or helps the cure. I was able to find a few studies on the drowning of roots in plants though.

Pathways of carbohydrate fermentation in the roots of marsh plants

"We conclude that in all three species fermentation of carbohydrate results in the accumulation of predominant amounts of ethanol, smaller amounts of lactate, no significant quantities of malate, and probably appreciable amounts of alanine. Crawford's metabolic theory of flooding tolerance is held to be incompatible with these results."

So it sounds like there's at least some science behind anaerobic root conditions and a "fermentation" occurring. I also found this study,

Error - Cookies Turned Off

Although it is pretty old (1969), it suggests that in species intolerant of flooding there is an increase of glycolysis, which is the process in which glucose (sugar) is broken down into pyruvate. Next you have to look at what happens during the curing process, according to this article what happens during curing is

"The enzyme responsible for creating THCA (the enzyme is called THCA synthase) does not magically disappear once that flower is cut from the branch. It also doesn’t immediately denature into an inactive form. That means that as long as there’s still a supply of CBGA in the cells, THCA synthase will continue to catalyze the reaction that converts CBGA to THCA."

and

"There are many internal processes still at play here, including the breakdown of chlorophyll, which is of interest for cannabis consumers. Chlorophyll breaks down into metabolites, which along with the presence of other sugars already present in the plant tissue are seen as what can give that harsh smoke generally associated with improperly cured cannabis. Curing properly gives aerobic bacteria time to digest the chlorophyll metabolites and other sugars."

So based upon those two studies, as well as what we know about what occurs during the curing process, it appears there may actually be some truth to this. Honestly when I started typing this up I did so because I assumed this was some more bro science as people call it that you read about on the internet. Now I have no idea if this actually does help with the curing process and until further research is done there's really no way of knowing. So really you're leaving it up to anecdotal evidence, you trying to tell from your experience if it has a smoother taste or not. With all that being said, maybe its worth it to try it on a plant you wouldn't losing and see if there really is any difference. Also I by no means am I a scientist, I do have a degree in agriculture so I've read through my fair share of peer reviewed scientific journal articles but I most definitely could have interpreted this wrong so for the people smarter than I am feel free to double check what I've posted and correct me if I'm wrong, Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Root fermentation would only start after the roots are dead and after the roots are dead they no longer send water and nutrients to the rest of the plant so I don't see what difference it would make to the buds whether the stalk is cut or the roots are killed.

20. I don’t think it means the roots themselves are fermenting, rather that the chemical process of fermentation is taking place inside the roots.