Post your unpopular musical opinions.

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Hagakure, Jul 31, 2010.

1. 1977 was a transitional year for Prog.
    Amidst the burgeoning Punk scene in London and NYC, there were at least two bands releasing and touring behind exceptional Prog LP’s.
    One was Yes. Their ‘77 album Going For the One showed that they still had great Progressive ideas especially on the closing song “Awaken”. This was their last true Prog offering before they began slipping from selling out large stadiums.
    EAE9BCBC-7722-4D6A-B5C9-60876CA93ED7.jpeg

The other band with a masterful Prog LP that year was Rush with the release of A Farewell to Kings.
    The difference between them and Yes was that Rush were on the rise in their career in ‘77.
    They started to take over where Yes had left off.
    So, while Progressive Rock was still popular, it was coming to it’s end by the late ‘70’s.
    How do I know? I was there when it happened..
    39417760-03DB-454C-B73C-EA58279848B1.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. #5002 Deleted member 940351, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2018
    To be honest, I've never listened to Rush, nor did I know they were a progressive rock band, I thought they just played hard rock, anyway that's not the point I'm trying to get across here. What I'm implying is that for me prog is synonymous with Britain, prog only existed in the UK during the 70s, and after 1973 (the golden year, where it hit mainstream success with records like selling England by the Pound and DSoTM and more) there were no new prog bands, of course the big three Yes, Pink Floyd and King Crimson continued making records but three bands don't represent a whole genre, a movement does. That's why I think prog ran it's course, and died out naturally, (The Wall came out in 1979, prog was well dead at that time, but the record still got loads of acclaim because it was a PF record) same thing happened to psychedelic rock in 1969-1970, prog later came in, took influence from it and expanded vastly by mixing in other genres with it, but did prog kill psych? No it was just the natural evolution/course of music at that time, same thing happened with punk and prog, it took over because it was fresh and new.

This is just my opinion however.

3. Kpop is the worst genre in existence. I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Most heavy metal sucks, especially the screaming vocals metal. Screamo is a no go all the time. Ska is the best genre and heavily underrated.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gene Simmons is THE biggest dipshit in Rock n' Roll. Kiss are nothing special and are extremely overrated too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. You need to listen to more metal then, heavy metal is everything from classic rock like Zeppelin or Sabbath to the extreme stuff like Death. You can't say most of it sucks, it's very diverse. I really hate Nu metal (it's not even metal) stuff like Slipknot, power metal, glam metal and I'm really picky with extreme metal, however there's tons of good stuff. The classics like Judas Priest, Maiden, Slayer, Angel Witch, Megadeth, Metallica, Motorhead will always be legendary imo. If it's not your cup of tea, I get that, but although there is a lot of shit metal, most of it is not. Most of the crap metal came from the 90s and beyond.

7. I hate Megadeth, not a big fan of Metallica but I dont mind a few of their songs. But that's why I specified heavy metal. Metallica has a lighter metal sound to it. Hate slipknot beyond a doubt. Nu metal is awful. Led Zeppelin is more rock / heavy rock than metal to me.

I love nice guitar solos, but I prefer upbeat kind of music. Like ska! And I also listen to oldies rock and SoCal reggae (a very specific kind of reggae, most have a rock infused sound with it, I'm not super into roots reggae but I do like a few tunes from the reggae legends like Peter Tosh, Tenor Saw, and Buju Banton and others)

See I prefer feel-good kinda music. Metal tends to be about being down and sad (which ska has no shortage of but it at least sounds upbeat musically), and I've noticed both a bunch of sad people and angry people love metal. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm not sad or angry, and I feel music that you listen to has an impact on how you feel, or the music you listen to reflects how you feel. Either way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Haha yes, that's very true, I am the latter, same goes for punk which I love too. Well punks are just angry, I haven't come across a punk who suppresses his sadness. Grunge maybe too, heavy rock in general.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Screamo isn't metal, it's a completely different genre. I do get your point on why you dislike metal (although personally I disagree with it). I love metal but I'm a punk first and a metalhead second. I identify with punks more but I like heavier stuff more. My absolute favorite genre is probably Crust.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kiss is okay imo but I fucking hate Gene Simmons. He's such an asshole.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. #5011 Sublime, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    See I will specify with metal, when it comes to a wicked guitar solo, I'm always down for that. I love amazing guitar work and can certainly appreciate that. What I don't like its overly-heavy guitar work super fast-paced double-drum-kicking metal, if I described that right.

Crust is a genre? never heard of that genre.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Crust Punk, the best way to describe it is super heavy metal with punk lyrics.

13. #5013 Deleted member 940351, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2019
    Yeah, it’s pretty extreme. Supposedly (on paper definition) it’s a mixture of hardcore punk and extreme metal, so there’s a lot of bands, not all of them though, that utilize black/death metal style vocals.

By the way if you want to listen to some heavy metal with great guitar solos but with no bass pedals, not much aggression and moderate speed then listen to some NWOBHM. Bands like Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Saxon and of course Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

Just yesterday I was listening to some crust. I found this band on bandcamp called “No Relics”, but the classics like Doom and Aus-Rotten are by far the best.

This song is definitely amongst the heaviest and fastest songs I know.

• Like Like x 1
  14. My favorite Crust band is Disfear

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Just started listening to Amebix today actually, they're pretty good. But honestly what's the difference between these two besides that Amebix maybe is heavier? One is extreme metal and the other crust punk. I suppose that Venom has heavier guitar riffs, but Amebix has heavier drums and bass.

16. All reggae sounds exactly the same. Once you know one band/artist you know everything about the genre.

17. Most rappers have horrible lyrics they just rhyme to rhyme. Especially the new stuff is stupid

18. Most of the people who are considered attractive today are ugly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Music taste reflects your personality A LOT, and those deny it either have terrible taste or are in denial.

• Like Like x 3