PoiBoy's Sun & Soil Chronicles (in the Dirt Hole)

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by PoiBoy79, Mar 18, 2018.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Those aloes are definitely happy.

Sent with more cow bell!?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Looking good! I'm sure the crop is gonna come out great this year if you're already planning this far ahead.

Btw had a question for you as a fellow socal grower - how many gallons were you watering each of your pots, per week?

Also, you said you'd only visit your grow site on the weekends I believe? Were you only watering once a week?

We were doing a gallon or sometimes 2 a day. This season I'm going to grow without the live cover crop, and cover with mulch, hopefully will save on water - but was curious how much you average.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thanks Brah, I hope to have a good grow this year. It'll be another cheap grow until I start making the big bucks heh
    General rule of thumb is to water about 5 - 10% of the volume of soil, once you have the moisture somewhat dialed in. I have 45 gal containers with about 40 gals of soil. I just watered 10% or 4gals 3 times a week, making the totals for the week: 12 gals of water each plant, 72 gal for the garden.
    I'd say ditching the live mulch and replacing with a thick mulch layer has saved me an extra day of watering a week....25% reduction in water usage?

• Like Like x 5
  5. Thanks Poi, any big plans on how you'll change the garden once the big bucks start rolling in?

And regarding water - wow that is alot, I thought with mulch it would be much less. We've been watering with RO water, so I was trying to figure out a better solution for this summer with the water (I was filling up 1 gallon jugs once or twice a week at the water store, got expensive).

• Like Like x 3
  6. Whoa, yeah, RO water would be very expensive! Maybe you can collect rain water, or add an inline filer to the hose to bring costs down.
    I agree, I use a lot of water. I have a well'draining mix that's made for container gardening though. If water is a big concern for you, I'd suggest an in-the-ground grow. That with a heavy mulch will bring water usage far down. Add polymer crystals, and it'll be even less.
    If I had the bucks, I'd grow in a shadehouse with raised beds, fans, and I'd have a rainwater catchment system. Maybe supplemental lighting, and an indoor mother tent.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hope all of you are enjoying this beautiful Sunday.....from SoCal

20210328_105901.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Keeps the squares out lol
    In the tall grass smoking the same....

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Beautiful vue.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Thanks I thought so! It was a hazy sunny day, the channel islands out there.
    I was smoking a j of the ygriega jamming to

Lol it was a good beach day with the fam

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Sounds like a blast. Nothing like a beach day when there's kids involved.. tire em out,, fresh air,, and you don't have to do a thing but enjoy it. Good stuff. I need a recharge. Wife and I just planned a big bear trip in a week, can't wait.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Wow I'm jelly, been trying to go camping for a couple years now dammit....something has always gotten in the way. Get out there in the great outdoors bruddah! Last time we went to Sequoia I made a pact with myself that anything we cooked would be made on the fire, and any fire we made had to be from scratch...I had a small fixed blade I used to chop wood with.....let's say we found a new appreciation for the luxuries we enjoy at home lol.
    I think this time we want to do some beach camping, only thing is peeps reserve the spots a year in advance

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Do that shit
    I usually bring my 10x10 pop up structure, so we have the shade if we want and stay a lot longer. If I'm serious, I bring the hanging tent. Ever been in a 10x10 tent? It's the ultimate mobile toke spot lol....I kinda want it to be my bedroom. Throw pillows in there and you'll be kicking it like a sultan heh

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. hellz ya! hassan chop! lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. We got a cabin this time,last time we camped up there we froze our asses off, and my wife is gun shy now lol.
    That's awesome. Dude,I used to do tons of beach camping up in ventura. Used to do solo trips with my dog. Youd wake up to dolfins swimming by. Fun stuff. They're way popular now, I used to just go on a whim and get a spot every time. Maybe we all need to do a joint trip some time. All the family and chill. Then we get dumb when the kids crash. Lmao.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. A cabin sounds badass, I've never had the pleasure - glamping ftw!
    Trip out I woulda loved to wake up to dolphins.Love owls waking me up in the morning too.
    My wife has bad allergies in the forest so the beach is ideal. I was looking for a place that kinda has a mix of trees and beach. So maybe Malibu or Carpinteria close by.
    Yeah man a group trip sounds like fun camping...we'll def get cognitively impaired

Heh

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. #680 Sirtootsalot, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    That scenes great... Aw man, the doobie Brothers broke up. Lmao. Allergies suck man, I never had em till years after moving here, now I get blasted every year. Ocean camping is fun, even if it's just a overnight. There's also fun hiking over there. Let's talk, maybe this summer we can make that happen. Sounds fun.

Dude, I used to see All sort of cool shit there, sometimes there's this almost fluorescent thing that happens in the waves at night, so when they crash it looks like there's a light in the waves. In the morning you'll hang out watching the waves with morning coffee and dolphins swim by. I swear I'd see the dolphins almost every time I've gone. Seals on occasion too.

• Like Like x 3