PoiBoy's Sun & Soil Chronicles (in the Dirt Hole)

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by PoiBoy79, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Rain in the hole

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Monday 5.14

Got a few new things going on at the garden. I am finally starting to make my own worm castings. I have one outdoor static bin going in a spare 20# fabric pot I had lying around. That one is filled with a mix of composted horse/chicken manure and some weed and leaf litter from around the yard. I threw some earth worms in there for now but I'll need to add more soon....maybe some African Nightcrawlers. I plan on leaving it until next year.

[​IMG]
    Indoors I have (4) batch style buckets of the same bedding/food going - two have African Nightcrawlers and the other two have Red Wigglers in them. I want to see who works the material better/easier/faster. Either way, its gonna make some great castings - I have all the goodies in there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm hoping they'll be done within 12 weeks.

3. Thursday 5.17

Sprayed the girls with an EO/soap foliar on Tuesday and ended up burning a few leaves on all the plants. Whoops - the day was overcast so I thought I could spray no probs. Then the sun came out when I wasn't looking. That and maybe it was a bit strong - shoulda gone really easy the first time. Anyway - they look good. Especially the oldest plants: P x BH, Kali China, and Guawi.
    [​IMG]
    Got some more African Nightcrawlers - added some to the bucket and most into the outside fabric pot bin.
    [​IMG]
    I'm going full in on this vermicomposting - I just received my Urban Worm Bag
    Urban Worm Bag - Urban Worm Company
    This is a CFT system for making castings. The farmer I found on Craigslist will be by to drop off my composted horse manure on Saturday - then I get to fill this thing up!
    Peace in your gardens friends!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Friday 5.18

Fed the girls for the first time. Just topdressed a handful of my fertilizer mix (alfalfa,kelp,neem,karanja,crab,fish bone) in each pot and watered it in with yucca - adds saponins and SA.
    This is the brand I use - cheap and suds up Big time
    [​IMG]
    This is how the girls looked a few minutes after watering.
    Queen Mother
    [​IMG]
    C-99
    [​IMG]
    Panama x Bangi Haze
    [​IMG]
    Guawi
    [​IMG]
    Kali China
    [​IMG]
    The QM and C99 seem to be a lot slower than the others. I feel they didn't take to the topping as well. I have a feeling they're gonna kick it in gear soon so no worries!
    Irie vibes neighbors

5. #25 PoiBoy79, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Saturday 5.19

The farmer came by today to drop off some horse shit
    It's good - smells earthy rich and has lots of mycelium growing through it.
    When I screened it, the texture was like fluffy cake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I mixed 8 gallons screened compost with:
    2 Cups fert mix (equal parts: alfalfa, kelp, neem/karanja, crab, fish bone)
    1 Cup Basalt flour
    1 Cup Ag lime flour

Now I'm letting it sit under a tarp for a couple days before I introduce the worms. I plan to use this as the initial bedding for my Urban Worm Bag I just set up. I'm gonna fill the bottom with dry leaves, some mix with worms, then this new bedding on top.
    My idea is to amend the bedding 'batch style'. That way, instead of layering bedding and feed - I'd just add a few inches of amended bedding. I like how consistent the process has the potential to be. It'll be an experiment since I haven't read of anyone doing a CFT this way.
    Chee!
    I'm having fun with this - I hope you're having fun too gardeners!

6. Friday 5.25

We've had light rains and overcast weather here since I fed the girls last friday. They seemed to slow down and I thought I was seeing some slight deficiencies presenting. I think they needed some sun and for the pots to dry out. Thankfully the sun came out today and the plants seemed to recover.
    QM
    [​IMG]
    Kali China
    [​IMG]
    C - 99
    [​IMG]
    Guawi
    [​IMG]
    Panama x Bangi Haze
    [​IMG]

7. #27 PoiBoy79, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Tuesday 5.29

Howzit farmers!

I helped a buddy out the other day, and he gifted me his old compost tea brewer! I never made an ACT before..but since it fell in my lap, and I just happen to have some semi - finished vermicompost - it's fun time again!
    The recipe I'm using is simple and uses what I have on hand. I would've used only castings, but I didn't want to take much from the worm buckets yet.
    Here's the recipe:
    4 Gallons water
    1.5 Cups Worm castings (I used 1 C worm castings/1/2C Malibu compost)
    1 Tbsp alfalfa meal
    1/3 C Blackstrap molasses
    I didn't want to buy an expensive mesh bag right now, so I used a paint strainer to hold the solids in and shut it with a zip tie. Placed in the brewer and it'll run for 24 hours and max 36 hours.
    The material taken from the top of my African Nightcrawler buckets
    [​IMG]
    Tea time
    [​IMG]
    Shakas friends

• Like Like x 1
  8. #28 PoiBoy79, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Thursday 5.31

Sprayed the compost tea on the plants yesterday. They look healthy today. Weather is looking great to start June. Time to start some regular pest killing. Got some new lure traps for the adult budworms moths...can't wait to count the dead!

Guawi
    She is smelly - with a stem rub its minty wood resin.
    [​IMG]

C-99
    Seems to be catching up a little. Keeping my eye on it.
    [​IMG]

Queen Mother
    I think it could be a runt. I was hoping for a tall sativa - hoping at least the smoke turns out good.
    [​IMG]

Panama x Bangi Haze
    This one will be the biggest I think - and like the Guawi she is smelly and has a funky green citrus smell.
    [​IMG]

Kali China
    She has had variegated leaves from early on...kinda cool
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Gang
    - and my brother's plants in the black pots
    [​IMG]

9. #29 PoiBoy79, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Wednesday 6.6

The Dirt Hole is getting an upgrade.
    Can't deal with the dusty dirt and elm debris in my buds this year.
    So the tree got a cut and the grow area of the garden got the horse manure and clover/wildflower double whammy. Mulched the sides and back of the garden with some free city stuff.
    I've been watering daily for over a week and there are plants coming up!
    Took that as a sign to dig some shallow holes filled with composted horse manure for the final location of the plants.
    I started the plants early so they have the potential to grow big, but they're stuck in my 20 gallon pots. I hope this gives the plants somewhere to turn to for extra space and nutrition. Next year will be new larger pots.

Guawi
    [​IMG]

Kali China
    [​IMG]

Panama x Bangi Haze
    [​IMG]

Queen Mother
    I recently cut the two bottom branches off of this plant because the branches were staying weak and had very small leaves. I think this plant got a little confused after the topping, but since then has been growing normally but without side branches. I'm gonna have towers of power lol
    [​IMG]

C99
    I also cut a branch off of this plant. Instead of having four mains with the topping, this plant only put energy into three branches, the fourth being left as small as growth at the nodes of the other branches. Another deucer wild
    [​IMG]
    Here's the new locations for the plants
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was one of my Guawi rejects I gave to my brother - looking good! Might have to take it back
    [​IMG]
    The plant not in a hole is the other Kali China I had to part with - going to a homie....or not that's looking good haha
    [​IMG]
    Looking forward to a strong month of growth!
    Irie vibes to you and your gardens!

• Like Like x 2
  10. #30 PoiBoy79, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Monday 6.11

Hot days lately and ahead. Bug season is kicking in hard. Moth trap has some victims. June is full of action.

Made an alfalfa/kelp/aloe/peppermint foliar spray and gave the girls a misting last night.
    They look strong today.

Panama x Bangi Haze :
    It's been looking hungry. Some yellowing on the bottom. I grew Panama last year and it was a hungry plant. I will be increasing the nutrients I give it.
    [​IMG]

C99
    [​IMG]

Queen Mother
    [​IMG]

Kali China
    [​IMG]

Guawi
    [​IMG]

Tobacco Bud worm moth phermone trap -
    I counted six dead moths - killing all the males before they can sow their seed.....brutal!
    [​IMG]
    There are a few non-moths...forgive me friends!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wednesday 6.13

I believe 20 Gallons is gonna be too small for full season plants w/o me adding a lot of extra nutrition. I see some yellowing of the PxB and a little on the Kali China. Coincidentally, both happen to be the biggest plants.
    I wanna nip any deficiencies in the bud quickly before they have any chance to develop. I sprayed all the ladies with some fish hydrolysate and TM-7( trace minerals/humic&fulvic) with yucca and peppermint/lavender oil. I'm becoming fond of combining foliars for nutrition and IPM. This way I can visit the garden less.

Got a surprise in one of my pots! A mushroom!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This hasn't happened before, cool! Must be tasty, it got chomped by something

These were the ladies this morning

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Looks awesome man! You def should let those girls go into the ground imo. I've transplanted a few 20gal pots in my day and it's a pain but worth it. I have also had 20gal pots with big holes in the bottom grow down into a prepared hole that worked rather well. Good luck on those, I think you will be chasing deficiencies and watering a ton of they stay contained in those. I have been so far behind this year. Been dealing with some seizures and other health problems. So far I have 26 plants in the ground and another 15-20 to go. I'll finish that up tonight now that I am feeling better. The plants all range from 2-3 ft but have not really branched out yet because I neglected them while in recovery. I dont know if I'm doing a journal this year, I can't decide.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Howzit @michganman - where the schmuck have you been? I was just about to pm you.
    I'm thinking you are right either way I will have to get these in something bigger, be it the ground or in larger pots. Still got the better of 2 months veg yet. Fuck! I really didn't want to spend any more money!

Sorry to hear of your troubles brother - I'm sending healing irie vibes your way.

Your grows are epic, it would be a shame to not have it represented over here. I wonder if any of the seeds some guy gifted you made the cut? I planted early because was trying to be in the monster thread like I wanted to last year.........
    is this guilt shit working? Lol

Nah man whichever way you choose I got your back my broganic growholmes

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yup I have some of the seeds going on the side of my house that "one guy" gave me. They are looking very healthy, can not wait to see them finish. I am running just one strain in the main garden which I finished today too dressing and watering and adding bamboo stakes. Screw it, I'll start a journal...
    20180616_182601.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Saturday 6.16

That mushroom in the Queen Mother's pot got big!

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I have one growing in the C99 pot!
    I'll get a shot later.

C99 - she's been catching up, really bushing out and healthy looking.
    [​IMG]
    Kali China
    [​IMG]
    P x BH
    [​IMG]
    Guawi - might be my favorite right now.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. Whoa - that's badazz
    Start a journal I wanna front seat!

17. That mushroom is awesome man. I concentrated a lot on mycology during this past winter and hand a couple cool grows. That shit is fascinating. Journals up now btw

• Like Like x 2
  18. Here's that pic of the mushroom in C99's pot
    [​IMG]

19. Magical mycology?
    I am researching that - as in hands on lab research lol
    Whoa shit gotta go
    MM's journal is up

20. Awesome! Too bad you couldn't inoculate that mulch with some sort of edible mushroom such as oysters or morels or something