Plex server build

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by A AnoesisOrange, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Want to build a Plex server. Never been a hardware guy but wanted to do a build for a while since I work in tech and thought it'd be a cool learning experience. I have a guy at work that has done several builds and has built a Plex server and he is helping me out but I want to bounce ideas off other people as well so here I am.

Here's what I have so far:

processor: AMD FX-9590 Eight-Core $126.2

water cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm (CW-9060025-WW) 109$

tower: Cooler Master HAF 912 - Mid Tower Computer Case with High Airflow, Supporting up to Six 120mm Fans and USB 3.0 60$

motherboard: GA-990FXA-UD3 (negotiable)

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR 65$ (negotiable)

Lifetime Plex plan: $119

My Book (Recertified) 4TB external hard drive: 99$

GPU: ???

Power Supply: ???

Hard drive: ???

Total so far: 578.2$

Thoughts? Suggestions? Help? I'm a total noon, so I don't know what I don't know.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Also just wanted to mention that I'll probably just run some minimal flavor of Linux and will mostly just be sshing in to it. Ill use an old keyboard, mouse, and screen for initial install. Not too bent up about anything but the external hard drive and what goes inside the case.

Sent from my KFAUWI using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Personally, I would bump the ram up to at least 16gb , ditch the external drive and use the on-board raid controller to run either a raid 1, 5 or 10 on internal sata drives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. What would be the benefit of moving the memory internal?

5. First, it is one less thing to clutter up the area around your pc. If you are just going to be using the drive for the plex server media then there really isn't any advantage to making your storage external. It is just one more possible point of failure.
    Second, running a raid setup will give you fault tolerance and serve as a better way to maintain a backup of your files. If the external hard drive dies with your entire media collection on it, you are screwed without a backup. So you are left with being forced to maintain two copies. With a raid if a hard drive fails you just replace the drive, rebuild the raid, and keep on trucking.

So a raid provides a single solution for both storage and backup while eliminating the need to have external components.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. +1 on using internal HDDs. they are faster, cheaper, and more modular than external storage.

I have 4x 4 TB drives in my plex server right now and I really like it.

7. While an ssd has some advantages versus a single sata drive, I would still go with the raid. A single ssd still doesn't offer any fault tolerance. While they may not die as easily or quickly, solid state drives do die. Which means you have to use another backup solution in addition to paying for a higher priced ssd. The one advantage they really offer, faster read/write times, is going to be offset some by the fact the a striped hhd raid will have faster read/write times than a single hdd. An ssd raid would be awesome and the best of both worlds but would be expensive even if you go with raid 1 (mirroring).

8. I'm really not sure if 16 gigs of RAM is necessary unless you're planning on pushing a lot of encoding.

9. That is the same thing people thought about having 1 gb of ram, then 2 gb, and so on. For the most part, computers become out dated due to either inadequate cpu speed or inadequate ram. That much ram really isnt needed today for a simple media server. However, for $65 extra dollars I would rather double the ram and know that it will handle whatever I needed to do both now and in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Good to know!

11. I remember my uncle thinking it was ridiculous our first computer had 13gb hard drive. Now some games are multiple times that size haha

12. #13 jay719, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Yep. I didnt get a computer until I was around 21. A year later I started tech school and built my first. It was a bad mofo running something like 512mb or 1gb of ram, an 64mb video card, and two 20gb hard drives in an ide raid because they were the largest drives that were actually affordable. Those of us who had already passed our certifications got an automatic A in the class so we brought our "rigs" to class and played counter strike, which was still a half-life mod.

13. It's not the encoding that gets ya.. it's the transcoding especially for high resolution. eats up a heap of hardware resources.

I'm going down this same road but plan to go with a QNAP TS-251 unless something better comes out in the interim before I manage to follow through.

14. #15 DTucker1987, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    8GB is not enough I think. A 16GB OR 32GB would do much better. I didn't do this my self, I helped a friend build a Plex server so I learned a lot. I don't usually do such things, even though I have a piece of experience in technology. I didn't think I would need a Plex server, however, I looked for the best-reviewed NAS for Plex Servers on https://prizedreviews.com/best-nas-for-plex/ and I think I might get one for my self. The idea of a personal home library of videos, images, and music seems pretty compelling.