Pandemic Garden: sativa, indica, blends.

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by WeeDroid, Apr 28, 2020.

1. So I did some redesign on the fly.
    As noted the feet for the base were not bolted in as desired.
    Also I decided to attach the screen to the support uprights rather than using an independent pedestal to take the weight.

2. So the two big gals. I’m hoping the lightening I see in a few spots is due to the diminished light coming through the window.
    I may do a top dressing of worm compost and bat guano if it continues. 3A4E9D3A-7E6D-4901-98F4-D3DDF50ED34E.jpeg E9989ACE-4994-4571-A54C-DF4AF7ED6F3C.jpeg

3. DD9EBEA1-B5F2-46BB-98EA-62DCC1474A06.jpeg So it looks ugly atm, but it’ll take the girls a few days at least to get reoriented. Hopefully the plastic cover over my windows will be gone tomorrow.

4. 0E3D9915-340B-42A4-A55F-39B7D714DD72.jpeg So less a SCROG than a trellis I would say.
    Next year I’ll have a bigger screen and will install it earlier in the season.

This grow was a very last minute decision and I was just reusing materials I had in the garage from previous grows and Burning Man art projects.
    So a great trial run which may or may not be repeated next year. A substantial reason for doing this grow, this way, is because of SARS-CoV-2.

Who knows what next year will bring.

5. 17FC5217-DB15-4BCA-A6A8-2F24802E8296.jpeg F946133B-B733-4BA9-9DB5-4FADDB38A226.jpeg As expected the plastic came off the windows today. It really improved my mood!

6. Three girls a growing.

So the branches are still fairly flexible but I certainly should have done this sooner in the year.
    But already I can tell that this was a wise decision.

In about a week or so I will be trimming lower growth.

7. So the two outside plants popped on April 27th. They were labeled by the person who gave them to me, a trimmer by trade, as BB (Blue Berry I am assuming) cross Sugar Loaf (SL).

the one on the left is showing sativa dominant growth characteristics, but flowering along side the other BBxSL, which is showing more indica growth patterns.
    These strains were developed in an outdoor region not far from me. The growers like their early flowering varieties.

In between the two big gals is my pure sativa (imported from a UK grower), the variety is called Little Hands (LH). It popped on June 5th, so it’s two months behind the other gals.

So personally I am very stoked. Three females and two males. I should have plenty of herb to consume and be able to generate a lot of seeds for next year. C83D422D-CD68-4FE6-8A17-ED22EBE6D4E6.jpeg

8. Ahhhhhh
    I had forgotten how much I like opening my window for fresh air flow, a key component to any successful indoor garden.

The air quality in my area is unbeatable and with the proper windows and venting skylight open, the air flow in my home is amazing.

9. So the girls are slowly stretching to adapt to their screen. I hope they have a lot more stretch to them.

An unexpected bonus to having the screen is that it obscures the plants nicely, even with the room lit. During the day, the sunlight glare makes it near impossible to see in past the mesh curtain, but silhouettes were easy to see at night with a room light on.

No more.

10. And my final transplant for this season is done (LH 11, plant #5,
    3/4 gal -—> 3 gal pot).
    NO more moving plants around, it’s all watering and training from here to harvest.

I hope.

I am feeling a bit clumsy with this grow. But I am also okay with that.
    I have not grown cannabis in over 10 years, this was a last minute decision enacted during a pandemic and SIP protocols for my community. Using really old seeds.
    Plus it’s a very novel grow for me. I’m certainly learning a lot and will do a much more refined grow next year, assuming I do this again.

I certainly would like to, but who knows what the future will bring?

hopefully phatty budz! :Love-Plant:

11. Not that anyone is paying attention, other than me, but going over my notes I noticed a few fuck ups and such.
    I’ll be going over my notes, during the next few days, to clean up the mess.

• Like Like x 1
  12. So the plants are adapting nicely. I’ve only had one decently developed branch break (more of a bend/bent over really) on me. I just slit part of a straw, wrapped it around the break And it looks awesome!

Because my two main gals are indica, domesticated cross breads for my regions, I don’t expect a lot more stretching?

The bud tips are thickening nicely, but not seeing a lot more flowers. Yet. So hopefully I have a lot more vegetative growth yet to come CEDDF118-DD34-4A5C-A484-CA0B798B74B4.jpeg 9A32F165-31EC-4639-A299-087E94EAF760.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  13. One of the two main growth tips on the very stretchy hybrid.

18761172-694A-4FA2-87F6-12AC3340AB20.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. So the center, back side of the screen, there lives my one true sativa gal. She is about two months behind the other two, but at least I have a male and female now of this very rare strain of pure sativa.

Went into a 3 gallon pot a few days ago, tipped the two main growth branches the other day, and today I would swear that it’s grown at least 4 inches since yesterday.

interesting times that we live in.

1AD084B5-0293-414A-85FC-BF548CC207B5.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. That straw repair job. 8EB46215-FFC1-4A69-A3F9-D06634CD12D6.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  16. “Once in a while,
    You can get shone the Light,
    In the strangest of places,
    If you look at it right.”
    The Grateful Dead

So I’ve been considering a white curtain or some such to hang behind the screen (relative to the window) especially as summer winds up, the sun will drop to the south a bit and I will be getting many more hours of direct sunlight as the days shorten.

A really nice situation for the bud formations. 358A2D45-CE54-416B-ABCA-92503A97C1CA.jpeg 6D4E1586-6A0E-4EBA-AAEA-727C457DC355.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  17. So, instead of a curtain, a humorous light source ignited.
    It’s foam core so very light, yet big, at least 7 feet tall and about 3 feet wide of tongue in cheek in my kitchen. CBA985A2-041C-403E-AAD2-8B15E2A85EFA.jpeg 357FCC11-BC62-41B0-9C88-8F9FA9327919.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Day of sadness.

I had to cut my garden down.
    Landlord is selling the building, came today with a realtor to take pictures.

Pest inspector is coming over twice, starting in two days.
    Posted are my last two pictures before the chop. At least the cut plants went into my compost tumbler.

A real shame as this was the best garden I have ever had. But I learned a lot and it was only three plants that cost me nothing in overhead. 6A3E2F9E-A5BE-46B5-B885-96BD0B2320A2.jpeg 480C554F-104C-4DA3-9020-4D925B6527C1.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  19. I'm sorry to read about your housing situation, WeeDroid. Sad day indeed--I send you my condolences. Those are some beautiful plants--you obviously showed them much love and care. And what a creative grow style, I don't think I've ever seen someone take advantage of ambient light like that.

I don't think we've ever met, but I recognize your handle from old threads from the long long ago in the before time. It's wild how the forums serve as such an archive of knowledge and conversations.

• Agree Agree x 1