Outdoor Grow Guide

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Corto Malteze, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Hello my dudes and dudettes. I've been narrowing down my potential outdoor plot this year and I sure could use some help locating the best area. I have some pictures of a spot and I would be grateful for some opinions.
    The spot is in an old gravel pit that has a decent amount of new growth. I don't know the names of specific plants so bear with me, but there is some tall field grass, some shorter bushes with spiky palm leaves, some woody shrubs, pine trees and a couple of other species of annuals. There appears to be a decent top layer of sandy loam, but much of the area is covered in a gravel-sand type mixture. It seems like a nice spot to spread out a dozen plants or so, I am just curious if it can support cannabis without hauling in 300$ worth of materials. IMG_8068.jpg IMG_6339.jpg IMG_6341.jpg IMG_6340.jpg IMG_6338.jpg IMG_0834.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. I've not grown in soil outdoors but those soil ph kits cost f all. Maybe grab one of them and test the soil then if it needs amending I believe dolomite lime and some other ph adjuster, which i think r pretty cheap too, can be used depending on whether you're raising or lowering it.

If your soil is gravelly it will mean it drains well but also dries quick. You can get water pellets/gel u can add. Maybe look for decomposing logs/bark in the area that you add as a mulch which will release nitrogen over time into the soil for your plants.

With all that said the area looks good, plenty of greenery so there's a good chance the conditions are fine for you're plants

I'm sure others will know more

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hello I have recently moved 2 plants that were in flower to a more sunnier spot when i heard that more light = more buds but now it looks like they have stopped growing. They have looked the same for the past 1-2weeks.

These plants are very frosty at the moment but the hairs are all still white and stiff. The strains have said to have a 8-9week flowering time and its been 91 days since sprouted most are usually finished by now. Any Ideas?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Are you growing a photo or auto flowering strain?

Any pictures?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Photo and no not yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. i dont know about your set up but you say you just put them in a sunnier spot. Are they outdoors. Are you making sure they are getting the required dark period each day. I dont think photos will flower outdoors at this time. I'm looking at starting my outdoor plants soon not finishing them

• Like Like x 1
  7. Photo and no not yet.
    Yes this is outdoor section is it not? Where i live its Near the End of Summer.
    I just moved them to a spot that was getting a 3-4 more hours of early sun then the older spot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. that makes 2 of us that dont live in america. sounds like u fucked with the photoperiod mate. good luck

• Like Like x 1
  9. Any ideas what i have done wrong or what i should do? Should i move them back to a spot that gets less sunlight hopefully get them to finish up on flowering or?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Southern Hemisphere I'll guess.. LOL
    Depending on your latitude your plants likely started to flower mid Feb
    70 to 80 days actual from the first sign of flowering is a more realistic number.. In any event pull before the first hard freeze if you get them or sometime around the end of May..
    I've had high sativa plants that I didn't take till nearly the end of December.. Your August..

BNW

• Like Like x 3
  11. If you Ph your soil & it's 6.5, can you just use the soil thats already there to grow? in other words, is it mandatory to dig holes & use store-bought compost/peat/verm/castings,etc or can you just use the soil thats already there if it meets ph standards? (as long as u water of course)

12. chal7ds..
    It's just a plant after all is said and done.. Of course it'll grow in what it's planted in it's just a question of how well it'll grow in the limited time you have to veg it..
    PH isn't all that important outside and in soil your microbes will handle the PH just fine..
    If nothing else cut your home soil with 30% perlite and toss in some worm castings if you can afford it..

[​IMG]
    Current spring set.. My yard soil is like stone.. Chipping out a series of 12x12x12 inch or bigger holes in the yard took a 6 foot steel chipping bar to slowly get each hole hammered out.. I get 3x the size plants as I'd gotten just planting in the local dirt here.. This set is small because they are out of season and I can only veg so big in my shed.. Summers will be giants.. GIGO.. Garbage in garbage out.. You'll get back several times over every small input on the front side at harvest time..
    By all means start directly in your yard dirt.. I did the first few plants that way then when the results sucked I came back to the city and started reading on building a better soil..
    Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners
    ITGs soil thread isn't a bad place to start..

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  13. Any tips on keeping bugs and insects away without having to use sprays and chemicals

14. Companion planting with plants that deter pests and using soil amendments like neem meal/cake (for example) that most pests cant stand :)
    The more versatile the area of plants and soil-web around the plant the less chance pests will call it home.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I just wanna normal and convienvent practical setup, either build a greenhouse and / or in pots/in the ground. Probably gonna have to move into an ommp house or else somehow find my own property to do this.

16. So I have a question. I've been growing with feminized seeds Outdoors for probably the last seven eight years. But I found a seed company that I'm really impressed with but all they carry are regular seeds. So just wondering what is this way or what puts the least amount of stress on the plant to sex it before putting it outside? Should I just grow them to 10 or 12 inches then sex and get rid of the males then take the females out? Or should I take cuttings off the plants sex those and not mess with the Maine plants

17. I need help pls

• Like Like x 1
  18. I rarely buy non fem, but i put 2 in each hole, when a male shows i pull it, if 2 fems show, i pull them away from each other and let it ride...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

19. I mean when i buy regs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

20. Hello dear friends, beginner grower here.
    I have pictures of a plant i am growing at the moment. The plant is 3 weeks old, and just started to show sex ( auto seed). I try LST couple minutes ago and here's how i pinched her (photo). Is this any good, and do you have any more advice?

IMAG0116.jpg IMAG0118.jpg IMAG0120.jpg IMAG0117.jpg