Ornamental Flower Thread

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Organic sinse, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Yes. I may need to divide it into three and pot up each section in a 2 gallon fabric to make it until spring planting.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Woah those look alot different than my comfrey, what kind are they? Cool

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 4
  3. Bocking 14 Patricia. This is a crown cutting taken in December. Those are flower stalks. It's in flower right now, I cut it back once already. I also fed a lot of lower leaves to my worms as they died off. That may be why it looks different.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Oh hehe thank you TimJ. I too have that, although mine was planted from a root and only had huge leaves grow from the ground. Year 1 in my yard. One actually produced a flower stalk before dieing back from winter.

Tip anybody doing the comfrey method from root, start it in a pot, then transplant it into the ground (unless you keep in pot)

Rootzone and leaves developed MUCH faster than the couple I had put straight in the ground.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Just when I said I wasn't buying anymore bulbs, Lowes was putting out spring bulbs (pretty early for Alaska, right), and I picked up some Canna Lilies and Tiger Lilies. They went right into the cool storage area. Its hard to say no to $8 for a 3 pack.
    I know the Canna Lilies will be a done in one cause they aren't even close to being hardy enough, but should be neat to grow for a summer.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 4
  6. Great deal! Start the Cannas inside early (maybe March/April up there) then dig up the rhizomes and store them over the winter. That's what I have to do here in zone 6B and end up having 100's of rhizomes original_af3c45b8-e955-4875-9a05-6ee2a538bac7_20201108_132808.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Look at that pile! You must be busy in the fall.
    I actually plan to start most of my different Lily varieties in pots early, then plant them.
    For the cannas, how long after planting in containers do they typically break the surface? That little piece of info would help my planning a lot. Our last frost is typically around june 1. I was thinking something like 2 weeks inside, then move em outside. I can pull em in close to the house if there is a frost threat.
    thx in advance.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
  8. It depends on the variety and temperature for me. Some as quick as 2 weeks when its warm and some a month plus if its quite cool. Do you know what variety they are? I put mine in pots in a small cold frame last year mid March and they didn't flower for me until early July. If I start them inside my shed mid March then I can have flowers by early to mid June.

• Like Like x 1
  9. That's super helpful. I think I am going to play around with a couple different ways of stating things. Maybe one inside, one in greenhouse a little later, and one just on the porch. My real goal is to try and get them to bloom as early as possible. Most of my Asiatic and Oriental lilies bloom in September and October. As a consequence, they don't have much time to build a new bulb for the following year. I hope to get things happening a little earlier this year. I have trimmed a lot of trees to let in more sun to warm the soil earlier. I also plan to remove all the straw mulch to get the soil warmer earlier. Every little bit helps, and I am still learning lilies. I found a website from a now closed lily seller in Northern Canada. There were a ton of little tips for growing lilies in cold weather climates that I plan to use.
    This year I have Fall Planted Oriental, Asiatic, and Orienpet Lillies.
    For spring planting (starting in containers) I have Tiger, Canna, Oriental, Asiatic, and a ton of Orienpet (Tree lilies) lilies.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
  10. Yep thats the best thing to do. I find the solid leaf varieties grow quickest although I love the foliage on the striped "tropicanna" variety. Even without flowers they look great! The pots in the foreground have a striped red leaf as well as ones called cleopatra that have amazing red and yellow flowers. 20200814_095753.jpg

If they get some heat they grow like wildfire. These were from 2 summers ago and the red leaf ones in the middle garden were 3 one gallon pots with one rhizome in each planted in the ground late May and this is what they looked like in August. 20190819_114753.jpg

I'm looking forward to see how they turn out for you! I love the challenge of growing things that are not supposed too grow here.

• Like Like x 7
  11. I like the challenge!
    Your plants look great. I like your use of containers and also the hedges of flowers. I want to line my decks with containers filled with sunflowers, tree lillies, and whatever else I don’t actually get planted in the ground somewhere.
    Thank god I can grow pot all winter while I daydream about growing flowers!
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. A lot of nice flowers in here. I hope to join soon as I’m getting some seeds and plans to add some color and fragrance to my yard. I’m going to be looking to deter pests as well.

• Like Like x 5
  13. I’m plotting and planning for spring and have a question about Morning Glories. Someone on here had some really great ones growing last summer. I was wondering if it’s doable to get Morning Glories to grow sideways, but not up? I want to grow em along a 1’ tall wire border fence, and some more conventional spots. I was thinking of planting one plant every four feet, let it grow a foot up the fence, and then steer it along the top of the fence.
    I will also be training some up my deck railings on string. I have done this with peas and it was easy Peasy.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 4
  14. I c what u did there lol

Sent with more cow bell!?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. I've trained Morning Glories to go up and around my flag pole for the last few years, IME as long as they have something to attach to, and with a little persuasion, they will grow in any direction.

I'm also going to plant multiple colors along my deck railing. My plan is to throw all the different colors in a bag to mix them up I was just gonna plant them in a single row a few inches apart. then train them to grow on the rail. I might need a short piece of welded wire up to help them get to the railing, but once to the railing, it should be fairly easy to train them to grow on the railing. It only takes a few minutes to train them, pretty simple.

Every fall where the flower grows there will be a seed pod that forms, each pod holds a few seeds, I harvested some of these (the ones on my flag pole I got from my mom) this fall, my sons wanna go around to various spots and plant them by a few telephone poles.

Seed pods on the left, seeds from one pod on the right. There are lots and lots of pods.
    20210228_065340.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  16. Thanks! I figured they would be easy to train. I have 4 different colors coming. There is one or two spots I want to plant morning glories, moon flowers, and 4 o,clocks. It will be interesting to see how/when they open in the midnight sun.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
  17. Added some color around the house
    052E42BB-B2DC-4E59-838C-3C15A73E5512.jpeg
    4E78D5B8-16F5-485A-959A-2CBFD37BAD1D.jpeg

These have been taking off lately, forgot what they’re called.
    17BBB8AC-4CD2-449F-9FCF-CFCAB92E7D2C.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  18. The flower in the first pic is truly striking! I love the stripes and lovely balance of red, white, pink, and yellow. What is that btw?
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Scentimental rose. I agree and which is why I snagged it up immediately when I saw it.

that first pic was a newly blooming rose after transplant. This pic is the roses that were already open before transplant.
    CDEBBACA-1030-423C-A986-4E30B77E9408.jpeg

• Like Like x 6