Organic Vegetable Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, May 19, 2014.

1. Are Felco gardening shears worth it?

I've got some old shitty shears I want to replace but damn, these things are $100 :eek:. I'm all for spending that kind of money if it's a quality product that will last for ages. I'm wondering what your experiences are.

• Like Like x 2
  2. A good tool is well worth it.
    Depends on how much you use your shears.
    I've had a few pair of shears over the years. My felco 13 are definitely quality. Need to sharpen them and care for them like any tool might require care. Solid handle and not janky like cheaper shears can be.

• Like Like x 4
  3. A added a Garden Patch Growbox SIP to my collection of these planters. I’m not sure of my plans yet but I’ll put it in my garden thread. The Organic choice cost 5 more bones and includes a serving of Jobes.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Not much chatter about what's popping in your gardens. I'm so excited to have my hands in the dirt. Planted cool crops, my hops popped up, so I strung their trellis. I also munched my first asparagus, my lovage is up, berry plants are getting leaves, and I'm keeping an eye out for mushrooms.

What's going on with your garden?

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. I’ve just got a couple of tomatoes and a pepper plant seeded right now, just chomping the bit for planting time.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Put in some lettuce a couple weeks ago. They're taking root but its slower growing than I'd like. Want to get to the store for more starts but my time is getting more and more limited it seems. I'm probably going to have to take a day or two off of work to get caught up on things.

My fall garlic is a bit of a wash... the Spanish Roja popped up extremely well whereas not a single Transylvania is visible. I'm probably going to give it a couple more weeks before I cut my losses and use that space for more spring greens, maybe some more kitchen herbs like basil and dill

I'm definitely looking forward to predictably warmer weather because peppers/tomatoes are what I'm really looking forward to:)

• Like Like x 5
  7. Spanish Roja doing very well :)

Put in more lettuce and some broccoli starts to take up space in the failed transylvania garlic bed, mixing in my diy frass and dusting with myco. The biochar I put in a month or so ago gave the soil a super sexy texture... granular and fluffy... so much better than the dense and clumpy crap I had before.

When I was digging around I pulled up a few transylvania cloves, they were kind of mushy with no signs of growth. Looking online, it looks like other people had similar complaints with this variety as well. Oh well, I'm not going to fret about it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Looks awesome! Mine is just starting to come up. Too bad about the transylvania garlic.

• Like Like x 4
  9. IMG_20210415_143959.jpg IMG_20210415_143936.jpg IMG_20210410_155222.jpg 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20210409175402099.jpg 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20210409175054699.jpg IMG_20210410_155754.jpg

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Thanks! And yep, the temps have been creeping up
    Thanks! And yep, the temps have been creeping up Thanks! And yep, the temps have been creeping up. High 90s by next weekend. Already seeing some of the flower bed dying off.

• Like Like x 3
  11. I've been working on my 3k sqft garden soil fertility. Fall cover crop from last year is poppin. Lot of OM to be added when it's chopped and dropped

20210417_122951.jpg 20210417_122937.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. @Joeblowprojects , that is gonna be a nice bed with all that knocked down and composting in place. Sweet project.

• Like Like x 4
  13. This was last fall when I tilled it. You can tell the difference in the soil that's been worked for a little bit vs never worked soil. The plot in the back hadn't been worked and is basically all clay. The front is the garden that had been worked and is a lot more dark and rich.

Screenshot_20210417-161121_Gallery.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. Just the perfect height for taking a leak in plain view!
    cheers
    os

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. I just realized I wasted my mycorrhizal inoculate on a good portion of my spring crop... turns out cauliflower, broccoli, kale and spinach don't use that symbiotic relationship. Oh well, live and learn.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Good info! I thought you could put it on everything, I've got vegys started in root riots and I crush the mycos and put in rr, the broccoli is just coming up today.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Came across this:

Vegetable Plants That Don’t Use Mycorrhizal Fungi
    There are some plants that generally do not form relationships with mycorrhizal fungi. The most important for vegetable gardeners is the Brassicaceae family:

• broccoli
    • brussels sprouts
    • cabbage
    • cauliflower
    • collards
    • kale
    • mustard
    • rutabaga
    … and members of the Amaranthaceae family:

• beets
    • swiss chard
    • lamb’s quarters
    • quinoa
    • spinach
    • purslane
    • amaranth

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. What sort of things should I put in my garden today? Zone 6b, so I'm finishing up on my spring stuff. Already have cauliflower, garlic, broccoli, 5 varieties of lettuce, spinach, two varieties of kale,, snap peas, bush beans, oregano, sage, basil (looking a bit yellow and weak though, I think I may have overwatered it), thyme, rosemary, lemon balm and lavender.

I'm running out of stuff to plant until tomato/pepper time... any ideas, friends?

• Like Like x 3