Nitrogen Toxicity in organic soil

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by Bmangrowing, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Hello all,

I am having some issues with my grow. I believe I have nitrogen toxicity. I am using stepwell organic super soil and I also used some other dry amendments added to the bottom few inches of the the pot (kelp meal, blood meal, oyster shell flour, and bone meal) it was all cooked before hand for a month.

At this point, 6 weeks in, should I just leave the plants since they are in their final containers and just water with plain RO water (0ppm) from here on out or will my end results not be worth my efforts from here on out and it’s time to cut my loses and start over? I have a while left to veg as I want to fill 70-80 % of my screen before I flip to flower.

my leaves are super dark green and have curling on more leaves then not. That’s why I believe it is N toxicity.

setup info
    3x3 tent
    Lights are 28” away
    Temps are in the mid 70s
    Humidity is in the mid 30s
    I have two fans going on low settings 20” above the canopy
    The strain is Forbidden Dream by Humboldt seed organization
    I water every 3-4 days at this point.

I will post more pictures when I get home as well peeps.

Attached Files:

2. Here are a few more pictures.

Attached Files:

3. I agree theirs a lot of (N) in your plants but I see no approching nute burn

I suggest as a cautionary method of re potting your plants in a 50/50 mix of perlite,
    (or clean river sand) and your soil mix

do it days end so they recover over night to continue under the lamp but at some distance
    in case of transpllant shock

lift think before you water

good luck

4. thanks for the advice. Not sure if I want to re pot at this point. I just put them in their 10 gallon homes on the weekend. The soil they are now in is just stepwell super soil with no extras added by me. The amendments I had added were in the 3 gallon pots they just got moved from.

I cut some clones so I’m thinking if these plants start looking terrible I’ll just cull them and use the clones.

do you think their is a chance they will put grow the current issue without re potting?

5. yeah no sweat you are over thinking this
    often even the best growers still burn the shit out their stock ...

like me getting in some new soil too ...
    making the mistake of buying in at the wrong time of year ...way too much chicken shit over the spring issue soil these hippies make
    down goes 30 bomb autos to the trash the other 10 seedlings are in my bubblecloner washing the roots and using up fuel(nutes) before I replant in 5 days time these are 3 inch seedlings ..lol

6. Yeah even the best have their issues from time to time. I seem to have good luck in my greenhouse but back luck in my tent . But like I said worst case I have my clones in the bubbler that’s should be ready to go in 10 days or so . I’ll do 4 to cut down on veg time since this round may end up getting composted .

move fried a couple plants with chicken manure before. Is was an ugly, ugly death for those poor plants. Almost painful to watch

• Like Like x 1
  7. Did you measure these added amendments? The problem is the bloodmeal considering it is the high nitrogen amendment from the ones you listed. Also why place a layer of amendments at the bottom of your pot? You always want mix with soil or top feed.

Rule of thumb is 1 cup of amendments per cubic foot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I make a layering mix of this amendments. I only used 2 tbsp in 3 gallons of soil and cooked it for a month. I have done this in the past so the plant has some extra nutes available at the bottom of the pot when the roots arrive. I usually don’t do this so I think that’s where my problem lies. I usually only use it as a top dress but figured if I cooked it into the the soil and added that to the bottom 3” it would hurt anything. Well I think I was wrong . Although I didn’t put in raw amendments as I know better then that.

9. I have used this with success in my greenhouse but this is the first time attempting it indoors. It was mixed globally in the soil and cooked. I’m thinking my strain is sensitive to high levels of nitrogen. After doing some research I was able to confirm it only enjoys modest levels of nitrogen. I cut some clones on the weekend and I’ll likely cut more and cull these girls as too much nitrogen will make for some airy fluffy shit bud. I’ll let them go until the clones root and see what happens in the mean time.

I’ll leave well enough alone next time and not fuck with things that already worked in the past

10. When I was less of a newb...lol
    I thought it would be a great idea to throw raw dry amendments into the bottom of the hole when transplanting. I figured that kelp would be a good way to help with the transition, I was wrong. I forget how much I added, maybe a few tablespoons, but it was waaaaay too hot and fried those ladies in no time.
    Cooking it for months may not be so bad.

11. Haha

I had cooked it for a month but perhaps that wasnt long enough. Guess we will see lol.