Never seen that much praying?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by HugoHugieri, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Someone on the forum told me that when the leaves are in the praying position it means they are happy, and i could confirm that on the last run i did.
    This time tho it is very "vertical"

Also in second pic, the leaves tips are kinda brownish, i am going for advanced nutrients grow micro bloom and i provide some rhino skin for silicon and cal mag once a week, the medium is soil and they growing under a max dimmed 240w qb IMG_20210208_014620.jpg IMG_20210208_014718.jpg

Sent from my M2004J19C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. I've been told it's a sign that the plants have all the available food, and are "working" hard to get all the light they can. I caught mine praying pretty good the other day, it was nice to see. Nothing quite like that though. Crazy to see them change throughout the day.

I do agree, that's some serious vertical. I've seen it briefly with my outdoor plants, I don't think I could achieve that indoor.

IMG_4130.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. Well, nice to hear! Nice looking plants you getting as well!

• Like Like x 1
  4. A touch of tip burn isn't the end of the world, that's about where you want to be for nutrients, plants will take whatever they can get if they are healthy and ready for it. Sounds like you're riding the sweet spot, nice work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. This set of gsc I'm running right now I tried 3 different techniques. I left one untopped I topped 1 early in veg and I topped the third right on flip.
    The one that was topped right on the lights being flipped was doing this same thing but not the other two. It only did it for the first couple weeks of flowering and has sense settled down. But it's displaying some really crazy growth patterns and much more frosty then her two sisters.
    Your plants look great by the way. Cheers on a good grow!

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. I think it's just like the sunflower thing.

7. I also used to think "praying" was a sign of happy plants, but am not so sure anymore.

To absorb the most amount of light, a leaf needs to be perpendicular to the light source in order to expose as many light receptor cells to incoming photons. An angled leaf has less surface area to catch light with.
    And so my theory is that praying is really a sign of too much light and the plant is pointing its leaves up to reduce the amount of photons hitting the leaves.
    Now, I little bit of "too much light" might not be such a bad thing because there will always be some sort of limiting factor and I'd rather have too much light (as long as no damage is done) than too much water, or nutrients.
    But also consider that too much light means the plant is working extra hard, it's at its maximum capacity for processing light but ALSO the extra light causes increase in respiration, which in turn causes more water to get sucked up by the roots, which in turn causes more nutrients to be pulled in with the water, which can lead to nutrient toxicity, or burn, which is what you are seeing now IMHO.

I would pull the lights back a few inches (or dim them just a little) and observe how the plants react.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Nice, will try and make an update!

• Like Like x 1
  9. I would agree with you, but the fact that I've seen it with my weak ass grow lights has me wondering.

10. My plant that did this was under the weaker of my two lamps as well. Curious.

11. welcome to the 'Advanced' ...my Granny who grows bulk Saffron says leaves pointing up(praying)

is a sign the plants are happy at their maximum...any more and you will 'tip' them

so long as you are well vented and well watered... still green then you are fine

avoid turning your back ...lol

good luck

• Like Like x 2
  12. My own personal BRO-science says it happens a lot after watering, when they’ve gone a few extra days without. From thirsty to fed I seem to think I notice it happen more often. That is my complete personal bro science account though. And I can’t find anywhere else someone saying the same lol..

but I have heard (I think on a kis organics podcast) that praying leaves is a plant trying to reduce service area because of “too much light”.

but from posters on forums i wouldn’t say that I intense light is always the cause...
    for this one we need horticulturists from the land of the legal to study and tell us the answer.

Whatever the reason it doesn’t seem to lead to negative effects.

I like this theory a lot. I’ll keep in in mind. I bet granny Vostok knew her shit lol..

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. I had 2 green crack gals, one was normal and the other was praying like crazy....never could understand why only one would react like this

DSC_0665.JPG