My first Dodge ..

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Headhunterpipes, Mar 5, 2020.

1. I pick up my new used Pickup next month ..
    Its a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT with the 5.9 Cummins rated at 305 to 325 HP ..

In 1979 Cummins Engine Co distributor in Wyoming hired me as a Mechanic .
    At first the only thing I worked on was semi trucks with Cummins engines ..
    Then moved on into heavy Equipment/mining Equipment that had Cummins diesels in them.
    Looking back most all the truck engines I worked on were 290 hp to 400 hp but 350 and 400 HP Cummins Diesel engines were mostly new on the market or kind of a unusual ...
    When I was young traveling in mountains of Oregon I remember all the semi trucks could only do about 25 MPH up hill and the exhaust coming out of the trucks exhaust pipe was coal black .
    Cummins did have small cam NTC 855 CI 350 hp to 400 Hp but still there was a shit ton of 290 and 335 non FFC engines ..
    FFC means full flow cooling system ( the engine didn't have oil cooled pistons or piston nozzles , non FFC )

My point is these engines in these trucks were same HP and torque rating or less then the 3/4 ton truck I am buying .
    The new Dodge diesels are 400 hp if you want that much ..
    Even pulling a overhead camper and my boat at the same time do I need all that horse power ?

I worked for Cummins for over 20 years and at one point I seen the Cummins 5.9 engine in full sized semi trucks as test engine ..
    Those engines were set at 300HP and I thought WTF … I bet that engine don't last .
    I had a 88 or 89 dodge 1 ton service truck for a couple years … never had a issue with the engine ..
    I started looking into the newer diesel trucks ,,, woo doggies ,,, fuck the engines are plagued with issues ..
    Seems the first generation of the dodge Cummins had the least amount of issues ..

• Like Like x 5
  2. Welcome to the new world of diesel's brother. Doesn't matter if it's a power stroke, Cummins, or duramax, they're all dogshit nowadays for the most part. I drive a f450 everyday for work and its shit. Turbo boot blows off exceeding to much PsI for turbo. Etc.

I will say this. Cummins makes the best diesel. If I ever get another diesel it will be a new ram. But that being said..... my first truck was a 93 ford with the 7.3L motor in it. I rolled over 400k miles on stock injectors..

They dont make em like they used to

Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. Do you need a pick up with 400 hp ?

I had a 80 something ford 1 ton with service truck for like 2 days .
    It had the international Diesel in it ...
    Where the clutch pedal was in the fire wall ,, the fire wall was broken out to the point if you pushed in on the clutch pedal instead of disengaging the clutch the fire wall would flex .
    So the new shop manager welded in a piece of angle iron on the drivers side right next to the vacuum brake can on the fire wall to the front grill area so the fire wall wouldn't flex .

2nd day in the truck coming back from a mine in the evening I about hit a cow ..
    I got thinking about what if I would of hit that cow it would of shoved that angle iron through the fire wall and into my stomach ..
    Next day I unloaded my tools told the boss I refuse to drive the truck ..
    Company sold that truck without the angle iron in it and got me new Peterbilt .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nothing better than having a well broke in Cummins. When you mentioned travelling the mountains of Oregon, it brought back memories of struggling up Cabbage Patch back in the day in a Mack. Now I've got a 2015 Ram V6 240hp Ecodiesel that will pull it on cruise control at 60, in seventh gear, while hauling six horses. How times have changed.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Right now I drive a 2014 Chevy 1500 Ltz.

The heaviest load I need to haul is about 8k lbs. That's me loading up on pellet fuel for my pellet stove which is my main source of heat. I'll pick up 4, 1 ton pallets.

My 1500 is rated to pull 9500 lbs on a trailer.

So my truck is ample for me and what I do.

Now later down the road as my heavy machinery accumulates since I purchased 7 acres, I will have to look in to something that can haul say a skit steer and tractor etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Nice looking truck … right now I have a 96 f 150 4X4 300 ci six ..
    honestly I cant wait to get rid of it.
    I just closed a deal where I am selling off a bunch of equipment ..
    There are 3 ford 1 ton trucks ,, two have 200HP turbo Mitsubishi 6 cylinder diesel engines in them and one with 3/53 Detroit .
    The Detroit a joke but was the first truck sold .
    One of the ford truck has a two speed axiality transmission in it .
    These trucks are trashed …….. but the engines only have about 50k on them ..

My dodge I am buying has 90.000 miles on it .
    I was told at first it had 70 then 110 thousand ,,, batteries were shot after putting the batteries the odometer said 90.000 miles ..
    The truck sat for seven years ...

• Like Like x 1
  7. New diesel 3/4 ton trucks crew cab starting at 65.000.00 $ to 75.000.00 $ ...
    Way to much to much money for me ,,, I am pretty much retired ,,, I have a machine shop ,, but that does justifying buying a 70.000.00 $ pick up ..

• Like Like x 1
  8. I will never buy a vehicle "new". I got my 2014 Chevy in 2017. 3 years old. Only had 25k miles and I have a lifetime transmission warranty. Only thing that sucks about the warranty I cant service it myself. But I'll bite the bullet and pay for an oil change to keep my lifetime tranny in tact.

If I ever get a new truck, a diesel, it will be used strictly as a farm truck so I dont see myself paying more than 10k for a work truck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. I quite dislike diesels and the jacked up diesel truck scene...
    Most of them just think they are cool and use them only to run errands.. I really don't like the idea of a deisel just to start it up and drive a couple miles to town, and start it to drive back, never even coming up to a good operating temp.. It is not the place for a diesel IMO..
    I also don't much like perfectly clean trucks lacking dents and scratches.. Pickup trucks are like tractors to me..

But, for an actual WORK truck, that will see serious miles, and haul stuff, sure diesels excel there..

I also think the Cummins is the best diesel normally available in pickemup trucks..

If I was buying one, a diesel, I'd be most interested in a Cummins that is older than the EGR/DEF emissions crap, or plan on the first project to get rid of that junk..

And 300HP, the truck is still 3 times the weight of a 300HP sports car, so I don't expect it to actually be fast or something..

I went on a week long trip across a few states very recently in a Freightliner with a straight 6 Cummins in it, no muffler, single stack, and a jake brake..
    The truck pulls fine and makes a lot of noise.. My friend that owns the truck likes making a lot of noise..
    Straight 6es make good noise.. But better at higher RPM than diesels spin..

I very much like straight 6 engines, especially BMW straight 6s, which I have 2 of, on purpose..
    Easy to work on and a superior engine design from the start than V engines IMO..

I do think the Cummins makes for the best diesel pickup truck if that is what you need..

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. I am buying this truck to use to haul a overhead camper and pull my 19 foot aluminum fishing boat with ..
    The reason for a 4x4 drive is because my favorite fishing place has a steep ramp and often covered in pea gravel and sand ..
    Crew cab because the back seat is where I will keep my doggie ..
    The diesel because I get 16 to 17 miles to the gallon .

Check this out ..
    Every inline six cylinder engine in the world that has a clock wise rotation has the same firing order .
    153624 ...

• Like Like x 1
  11. #11 old shol4evr, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    delete

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Dodge make pretty good vehicles. I've had more issues with Ford and chevy for sure, and when things went wrong, they really went wrong.

Never had a dodge truck, but I had a stratus yrs back. That car drove me to festivals all up and down the coast. Needed an engine, but as long as I kept oil in it she just kept on chugging, snow rain or shine.

Hope it treats you right, congrats!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. #13 old shol4evr, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    delete

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Called the Dodge dealer to get my new used truck serviced ..
    I want all the filtered changed including the auto transmission and all the fluids changed .
    I got the dealers operator and asked to speak with service !
    I got transferred , then got hung up on ?
    I didn't speak with anyone !
    I called back ,, same lady answer the phone , I told her what happened ..
    She transfers me again to service dept and once again I get hung up on ?
    I call the third time ,, same lady answers the phone , I say this time put me through to the manager/owner .
    This guy that answers seemed to think this isn't a big deal and really it shouldn't be a big deal .
    But it worried me if I did have a issue with their workmanship am I going to get treated the same as I am now ..
    I guess dodge dealer ship isn't getting my money ..
    I figured this complete oil change and transmission and gear boxes lubes were not going to be cheap ..I figure over 500.00 bucks .
    Wow how times have changed where dealerships don't mind loosing customers ..

• Like Like x 2
  15. They make all their money on signing high interest predatory loans these days..

DIY

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. The owner/manager seemed rude or bothered that he even got this call .

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dodge dealerships in general seem to be awful. My wife gets horrible service every time she takes her jeep in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. At a hundred bucks a hr shop rate ,,, me being a retired heavy equipment ,,, kind of worked in this field I expected more of a professional atmosphere.

19. Took my truck in the dealership ,, had 5 recalls on it and had the transmission oil and filter changed and the engine oil .
    they quoted me 249.99 for the transmission and 59.99 for engine oil change .
    plus like 10.00 to `12.00 bucks for windshield wipers.

they forgot to charge and to replace the wiper blades .
    final bill was 368.00 ?
    The managed to add on about 30.00 bucks .
    I asked for a military discount which they forgot too .
    The bitch is I cant drive my truck anyway ,DMV is closed because Corona Virus and I cant transfer the title to plate it ..
    I was hoping it was made inn the USA

Then to top everything off I just figured out my ram 2500 is made in Mexico ..!

20. Dodges are complete trash, the only reason someone buys a dodge 2500 or larger is cause it has a Cummins...... no one buys a Cummins cause they actually like a dodge.....

any diesel is trash if it’s model year is past 2003 due to amount of electronics add in for emissions.... mechanical is the best way and offers up options for alternative fuel.

IMHO any diesel motor past 2010 is complete trash due to the lower ends are made to be just slightly stronger than the top end and when common rail pumps fail they take out the Entire fuel system.....

each truck has their problems, it’s best to pick which ones you’ll be the happiest with when it’s time to fix it......

Also I saw someone said something about an eco diesel, those are sketchy trucks, massive recalls on them for catching fire or blowing motors due to oil cooler issues... so be ready.

disclaimer, I am a diesel mechanic.... I prefer a Ford due to turbo placements and ease of access to top end motor work (if we are talkin about new new trucks). And fuck a Chevy all day long, I hate them fucking packed in piles of shit.