mr smoke's second grow

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Mr Smoketoomuch, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Well, here's the journal of my second grow of the season, after the test run with autos (still in progress at http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-...ganic-au-naturel-auto-finish-grow-2010-a.html)
    This is mostly going to be somewhere to keep and share pictures, but feel free to ask questions and make comments.
    The plan is to raise a variety of seeds, find a good father and then make a lot of seeds. I figure half the grow will be indoors, and half outdoors, but this may change if I can't get a handle of the logistics. I started 48 seeds on August 6, by placing them on wet papertowel in a dark, warm place. After 24 hours I transfered them to a mix of perlite, potting mix and Searle's 5 in 1 organic fertiliser (about 40/40/20) then watered and placed into the tent under CFL @ 13/11 (because I was acclimitizing the Roadrunners for outdoors) for a couple of days, so they got quite spindly.
    I've planted 4 each of Affigumtops (3 germed since 08/08), Blueberry (4 germed since 10/08), C99 (4 germed since 13/08), Bigbuds (4 germed since 08/08), Mandala mix (4 germed since 15/08 (one in the last 24 hours)), Sensi seeds indoor mix (3 germed since 11/08), Sensi seeds outdoor mix (4 germed since 13/08), African Buzz (4 germed since 08/08), Mr nice seeds indoor mix (3 germed since 09/08), Jamaican Pearl (4 germed since 10/08), Mr nice seeds outdoor mix (2 germed since 09/08 (slightly disappointing, but the mix is pretty cheap (for MNS seeds))), and AK47xC99 (4 germed since 09/08).
    That's the boring stuff out of the way, here are the pics.

Attached Files:

2. Wow SMT. Did I count the germ rates right...44 out of 48? That's darn good man! I have to say, reading your method to germ them had me scratching my head for a minute but no doubt that was just a pimple or something because what you did worked GREAT!

That's one of the things I love most about our beloved. There are so many styles one can adopt as their own, work on mastering that style, and reap great rewards with just a little bit of tender loving.

44 public reps for a fanstasic start to what ought to be a great grow for you (and a private rep if I have the rep bank to do so :D).

Way nice man!

3. Right on brother! Exciting this is!

4. Thanks, I'm pretty stoked (and a bit overwhelmed, to be honest)! I get 43 / 48, which I thought I wrote in the original post. Which shows why I prefer pictures over words...

Yep, she pretty much grows like a weed. I guess the real art is in growing the varieties that are more finicky (and hopefully still more worthwhile).
    To make it a little clearer, after the 24 hours of paper towel (which I laid the seeds on, not covered by more paper towel like I usually do), I think 1-2 had obviously germinated (tap root). I then transfered to the containers shown above, which are the bottoms of a terrarium type arrangement (with a clear plastic cover) and kept the covers on for 3-4 days in very moist medium. I suspect they liked the warmth (right on 75f), high humidity and airy soil medium.

Thanks! (I'll accept 43 ;) and I figure there will be a few culls along the way (but I'm hoping the pictured Blue Berry is a male!))

Thanks bro! You know I couldn't do it without your help, so HUGE PROPS to you!!

5. Oh, a quick note for added clarity (sorry!). The "y germed since xx/xx/" dates in the first post (apart from being in day/month format) show the approximate speed of germination from 6 August until the 15th (when the post was made).
    So for example the Big Buds and African Buzz had 4 from 4 above ground on 8 August (!), whereas the C99 and Sensi Seeds outdoor mix took until 13 August to get 4 sprouts.

6. Well, it looks like the outdoor site is out, as I went out there today and it's been somewhat cleared... I grabbed my tools and a picture (see the old thread), and bolted.
    So now I'm investigating an indoor grow. I'd already ordered a grow tent and 400W lighting rig; I was pondering a plain water, organic indoor soil portion for the grow (so I can go away for a few weeks and let the machines look after the plants), but I think I'll be moving into hydroponics as soon as I can get it set up. I'm tossing up between a top feed and a flood and drain setup. In the interests of maintenance and reliability, neither of these will be using soil... So I guess I'm out of the organic game for now, and I suspect I won't be back until I can either find a SAFE place to grow outdoors, or can learn more and feel motivated to do an indoor organic grow. I really need to learn more, and particularly practice more, before I undertake something like that.

7. Damn, that's too bad SMT but glad you got out reasonably unscathed.

Man, you can do maintenance free organic soil indoors. Use large enough containers and a drip system, get your soil mix right and have confidence in your electrical controls and I'm pretty confident one could leave a grow unattended for a week at least! Seriously, maintenance free. The only "worry" is vertical growth and clean, constant electricity to keep everything regulated and powered.

Water-only dude! You can do it!

8. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm mostly worried about getting sediment into the reservoir. I'm aiming at smaller containers for the number of plants (~40, that have to fit into around 1m x 1m (3' x 3')), and I'm pretty interested in a flood and drain system, but regardless, I'm in a hurry to get it set up (I know; bad idea) because the plants are already severely root-bound, and for sediment reasons an inert medium is pretty much a must (for now).
    Besides, this is all a big adventure for me. I've never done anything like growing indoors before, let alone hydroponics, so no matter what happens I'll be learning and using my mind fully, in a way I haven't done in a long time.

9. Don't mean to LOL but I am chuckling a little bit...~40 plants is a LOT of maintenance man! Damn! I'm kind of scratching my head wondering how you're going to fit ~40 plants in a 1sm area?!?!

IDK, maybe consider a self-engineered flood and drain table that will fit 40 plants in 1 gal containers/grow blocks. Get 'em set up and grow only the meristen cola - remove all other branches. That will make a nice SOG. I think you have the watts for it - 1K right? Even if you get a 50/50 female/ratio 25 plants is something! Way cool!

Gonna stay on station for this one. Ought to be right on!

10. Actually it's 400w, I don't want to chew the power too much (yet). But yeah, a SOG is what I have in mind, with breeding from a selected male, as it's still mostly a seed grow (and I'm not too fussy about picking out seeds). :)

11. #11 Mr Smoketoomuch, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2010
    OK, I rotated the trays today and took some new pics. They are really doing amazingly well for having so little light, care and soil. I estimate each of the plants has about 1 cubic inch of medium! There's a tiny bit of nutrient deficiency evident, but most of the plants look reasonably happy. Of course they will look happier in the next week when they get transplanted. :D

That Mandala Seeds plant is the purest looking Indica I can see offhand, and certainly the biggest and most obvious one. I took pictures of the couple that have obvious nutrient deficiency, though I saw one other with slightly curled down tips. I'll have a much closer look when I transplant them, and more pictures.
    And the AK47 x C99 is so consistently beautiful, I had to take a photo :D .

Attached Files:

12. Sorry it's been a while, and I've had stuff on my plate...
    As the pictures show, stuff has been happening. not sure which is what, I didn't bother to check the tags when taking the photographs...

Attached Files:

13. And the males removed...

Attached Files: