Mr. Coffee ... upgrade?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by myrrhlynn, Jan 14, 2021.

1. #1 myrrhlynn, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    i have been a Mr. Coffee guy since college with an MTBF of about 7-8 years and my 4th or 5th has just died. i see a newer version than my near-decade old last model, but i also see some other units up to about $100. Cuisinart seems to be the top dollar model, but i have to imagine much of that is name recognition.

any good reason to not just go with another $25 Mr. Coffee?

2. For $25 and 7+ years of use I'd go with another one.

I'd probably go with ninja over cuisinart if your after that kind of mechanism

Easy make 4 cup at a time or a full pot, comes witch scooper too

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. In 20 years I've had 2 Bunn coffee pots, at about $100, I love em. I especially like that it's instant and you don't have to wait for it to heat up, it's already hot. So if you don't mind waiting on the brew stick with what you got.

4. My last coffee maker purchase was a Breville. Best $300 I've ever spent on a coffee maker and that was over 6 years ago now. Still brews a perfect cup to this day.

All other ones I've bought in the past 40 years were good for the first year then just slowly produced lesser quality coffee until they either crapped out, or I just replaced them.

And yes, I maintained them, cleaned, descaled, etc... our water is dame near pure, 10-20ppm on avg.

I liked it so much I dropped $650 on their espresso machine, was not disappointed.

5. i was buying Mr. Coffee machines annually because they're garbage. finally switched to a French press and i've never been happier. also end up getting coffee from Wawa a lot, i enjoy their Cuban blend.

• Like Like x 1
  6. i've had access to a Bunn at work and at my club. great machine, but i've never seen one that isn't huge. i have a small kitchen/ counter.

i'll have to look at the Breville. a few years ago i bought my aunt a small Breville oven and it was nice looking and very reliable.

thanks for the input.

• Like Like x 1
  7. maybe i was lucky. actually i replaced some of them because i broke the pot and a new pot (if you can find the old style) was usually 80% the cost of a whole new unit.

8. yup, $300, you're right...lol.

img4o.jpg

wtf... i haven't bought something cool in a while.
    definitely looks like a harder pot to break.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ive had the same cuisinart ($79 at wallmart now ) Almost 15 yrs twice , daily used for the last 10 yrs Still going without an issue. On it second pot today right now

10. the carafe is stainless steel inside and out, keeps coffee warm for hours!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. you seem to be right about the upkeep. most of the 1-star reviews complained about the grinder jamming, etc. it will not be in a high use office setting, so i'm sure i can take care of some regular maintenance/ cleaning. i like the flexibility to brew any size from a single cup to a whole pot.

12. #13 OldUR, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    We’ve had many different coffee makers over the years. Cuisinart, Bunn, plus many of the low budget models. Eventually went to a French Press and a good burr grinder. Very happy. Simple and great tasting coffee! Then a couple of years ago our daughter bought us a rebuilt Gaggia for xmas. Not sure we’d replace it if it broke, but damn, the coffee is amazing.
    upload_2021-1-15_7-5-26.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. There it is!! We have a winner, nothing beats fresh ground coffee and a French press..

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. I've got a Breville espresso machine. Picked it up second hand at about 50% retail cost and it's been doing me solid for over 3 years now.

I keep a french press for nights on the boat or camp-outs :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  15. i've been rethinking the choice of a machine with a built-in grinder. the more i read reviews, the more i see a definite split of about 40% 5-star and 40% 1-star. i suppose it could be a matter of care, but the grinding part seems to be the most critical ... either it works great or the other school that seems to have endless problems.

on the other hand, most of the upper class of plain old brewers have a lot of choices that get 90% 5-star reviews.

i'm trying to support some local small businesses so i've been feeling good about getting out in the morning and buying a cup or two at the bagel or doughnut shops, so i'm fine with looking a bit more.

for $99, this Cuisinart is looking good.
    at WIlliam Sonoma, out of 3000+ reviews, 91% are 4 or 5-star.
    i like the self-cleaning feature.
    img48o.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. I used one of those Cuisinart's for years at an old job and it did fine. I've been making coffee with a cone by the cup for a few years but finally my wife and I decided to buy a maker. I went ahead and went with what is supposedly the hot shit for makers but not sure it's worth the premium. Of course I grind before each pot or cone, use an Encore bur grinder that was given to us. I'm not a fan of French press, I don't enjoy the fines that show up in the cup.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. coffee back in the kitchen... the world makes sense again...!

Mr. Cuisinart.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. San Diego Zoo, Polar Bear Plunge mug... :)

• Like Like x 1