"Money can't buy happiness." Bullshit.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Purple Drank, Apr 8, 2011.

1. where is anyone even remotely mad :confused:

we're just talking... mostly about OP being greedy lol

2. If you have money, and you're unhappy then I don't know what you could be thinking. Don't sit in a dark room by yourself with a bottle of whiskey wondering why you're so empty. Use your money and go someplace you've never been. Buy a wave runner. Like Daniel Tosh said..."You ever see a sad person on a wave runner?" No you haven't, because you can't be sad on a wave runner. And with the legal immunity that money brings (at least in this country) you really can do whatever makes you happy. If you have money you will always be able to find a woman. And it may just be the money they're attracted to at first but I think people fall in love pretty easily.

What's that you say? You have millions of dollars and you're not happy? Why aren't you climbing a mountain, or bird watching in Brazil somewhere? Yeah I guess sitting alone in the dark getting wasted by yourself is just as good. You're actually capable of doing it. When I get there they'll say "oh it'll cost you 1000 dollars to look at this mountain that we didn't make and have no right to charge anyone for but we'll do it anyway", and so I can never go, and so I will never be happy because I will never have the money to see the things that man hasn't been able to rape yet.

But on the other hand:

They say that Richard Cory owns one half of this whole town,
    With political connections to spread his wealth around.
    Born into society, a banker's only child,
    He had everything a man could want: power, grace, and style.

But I work in his factory
    And I curse the life I'm living
    And I curse my poverty
    And I wish that I could be,
    Oh, I wish that I could be,
    Oh, I wish that I could be
    Richard Cory.

The papers print his picture almost everywhere he goes:
    Richard Cory at the opera, Richard Cory at a show.
    And the rumor of his parties and the orgies on his yacht!
    Oh, he surely must be happy with everything he's got.

And I curse my poverty
    Richard Cory.

He freely gave to charity, he had the common touch,
    And they were grateful for his patronage and thanked him very much,
    So my mind was filled with wonder when the evening headlines read:
    "Richard Cory went home last night and put a bullet through his head."

And I curse my poverty
    Richard Cory.

3. For some people, money CAN buy happiness, but only temporarily. Hell, look at all the celebs who have millions of dollars but yet we always see them on tv or on the cover of magazines, leading miserable and pitiful lives. I won't deny having money makes me happy, but that happiness only exists because I am at peace and content with other things in my life. Just my opinion, interesting thread.

4. I think in some cases it can buy happiness. Like if I was a mulit-millionaire, I'd be traveling the world. I would go to sooo many places, and it would make me happy for a while. But I think that would get boring because I wouldn't have anyone to go with, but then there's the fact that I could easily meet people where ever I travel. I think money can buy happiness for a short amount of time, but not really in the long run.

5. 90% of happiness is money. CREAM sad but true in todays society

but without that other 10% of real happiness that 90% means nothing. I have all the money I need right now and I'm not happy. I'd give up all my money to get that 10% right now.

6. Why are you unhappy now? I mean if nothing is really messing your life up, what's there to be unhappy about?

Happiness doesn't mean feeling ecstatic all the time, happiness is the absence of unhappiness. Being entertained isn't the same as being happy. I can go see a movie while I'm unhappy and be entertained. Money can cure boredom, but being bored isn't being unhappy. I'm bored a lot and I consider myself a pretty happy person.

We're all so preoccupied with feeling like we did when we were kids, creeping down the stairs and nearly pissing yourself looking at the gifts you got on your birthday/Christmas/whatever. A couple of months later you weren't still as happy with the shit you got. The joy you get from buying stuff, acquiring material goods, is always impermanent.

Just by the fact that you're on GC means you ought to be happy, cause having internet is a luxury, it means you can buy food and you have a place to sleep, and your shit isn't being ruined by war, among other things. You have it better than most of the world, but because we don't have to struggle (or very rarely) to sustain ourselves we get bored, and people think being bored is being unhappy.

We should be happy we have the luxury of getting bored :p If you're bored it means you can't think of something you want to do. In a lot of other countries people don't ever get to do what they want to do. We've all done so much that it's becoming hard to think of new shit.

7. #47 travilanche, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
    ^Truth.

Thinking about it, I think happiness is relative to each person individually and thus you can be miserable despite your financial condition. I could tell a kid in africa that eventually roast beef gets boring and they would think I was fucking insane. But I grew up on a cattle farm, and we had roast beef every other night of my life for like 15 fucking years and now I can't stand that shit. I turn my nose up at it. That may sound like a luxury to everyone else in the world, but I would much rather have some KFC every once in a fucking while instead of that bland, tasteless, stringy shit.

8. #48 Barnkis, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
    This is what I think of that term. Money can't buy happiness, because the things that truly make you happy, what your soul is really longing for are not material goods. It's good old life experience, having a purpose in life, loving and being loved in return. I've had times in my life when I've been making way too much money for my own good, and times where I was pretty much dead broke. Money aint shit. It doesn't even represent actual value anymore, its just a piece of bloody paper.

If you follow a course of obtaining material possessions to seek happiness, you will NEVER be satisfied. Those that aspire to own the nicest luxury car, own a big house, own businesses etc, will never get what they're looking for. Sure the initial rush of buying that car or house is nice but when it wears off you need a bigger more expensive car, more income, more employees, etc. its a never ending cycle of waste and despair.

Realizing that these physical things aren't necessary and are ALL luxuries, and start focusing more on your actual life, the situations and the people in it, youll start having much more fulfilling relationships and you wont be all consume consume consume

my .02 on this anyways.

9. As long as I don't live around pest, have the internet/cable/phone, a hot meal every night, and a nice girl keeping my bed warm, I feel like a king.

Chasing money is a trap. You'll be on your death bed wondering how many years you wasted chasing distant treasures and the devil will be laughing in your face.

10. I'm guessing you've never experienced the feeling yet
    Each person is different though. Some people love money, and only money
    My uncle loves having cash. It makes him feel big. And whenever i'm sad he basically throws cash at me, and I hate it.
    He always excepts me to be happy after. All I think is 'how is this going to fix my problems? All I can do with this is go buy drugs which makes them worse'
    It's not true exactly, but that's my mindset. Nothing I can do or buy with it is going to make me feel better, because my problems cannot be fixed with money
    Most of life's worries are actually not about money, but people. Social interactions and such
    I strongly believe money doesn't buy happiness. It brings out the lies and fake personalities in people

edit: If you've ever been 'rich' or had an item that is very sought after, then you'll know what I mean

11. Your fucking right dude...have u even seen a sad person on a hovercraft?

12. Money cannot buy TRUE happiness, because it's a state of fleeting satiety. You desire something, you attain it and then you're happy for a time. Much like quelling the symptoms of a sickness with medication. It may be alleviated, but you'll always require more medication, until the malady passes or is cured. This is illusory happiness. It is a distraction from the fact that you cannot be happy with the way things are.

True happiness is a state of contentment and understanding. It is self-perpetuating and it burns by its' own oil.

It is one thing to maintain a comfortable life, being out of danger, being safe and being somewhere you can call home. These are basic necessities.

Basically, the capacity and the potentiality to be happy lies SOLELY in the mind. You don't need a thing to attain that, other than to realize it.

13. First off. I'm going to calmly disagree with this entire post.

Secondly, I'm going to explain to you, why your view is skewed.

YOU personally, might not have a drug problem, or can love your family, and all that stuff other people have surely stated. But no, money does not buy happiness. Money buys things that make you happy. In the end, these material possessions will not respond to you, tell you how good of a job your doing at work, how you handled that first date very well. They will sit there. Nothing more. Nothing less.

In the end, yes, money can be nice to have, I won't lie, I'd like to have $1000 right now. But, you see, the thing is, money is not required for happiness. You should be happy that you are alive, you have a family, you do not have a drug problem, and that you can do anything you wish to do.

You do not require money to go rock climbing. You do not require money to see the latest movies. You do not need money for transportation.

Money is not a gateway to happiness. It might be a key out of many, that bring happiness. But money itself, cannot, and will not bring happiness.

Unless your a shallow person that is.

14. you can be miserable with/without money
    you can be happy___with/without money
    you can be_________with/without money
    anyone
    want an
    algebra
    lesson?

15. This right here. Anyone that completely disagrees with the statement, "Money can't buy happiness", is wrong, and anyone that agrees with it is wrong. Above is the only correct answer.

Buuuut, I will give some examples here.

Say you love sports. Well, being incredibly rich can buy you tickets to anything game you want which is sure to bring a huge sports fan happiness.

Say you love to travel the world. Yeah, I don't need to explain how expensive that is.

Love cars? Jay Leno owns a freaking warehouse (literally) filled with all of these nice cars. Wouldn't that bring a car lover happiness?

Basically, the joy one can obtain from a hobby can be increased ten-fold by having lots of money.

Love, the very thing that is supposed to bring you true happiness. Let's face it, many women aren't going to stay with some broke dude, it's sad, but it's wired in women's DNA to find someone that can support them and their unborn child. (You can argue true love with someone else, don't believe in it). If you're a millionaire, you become a MUCH more eligible bachelor.

Or maybe you'll end up like Tiger, lolz. But is that such a bad thing...;)

16. money buys car, house/apartment, needed for having an actual life. most people arent happy when they dont have a life.

17. this thread is just ignorant.

18. You're confusing happiness and pleasure. Pleasure is short-lived, happiness is inner-peace and contentment with your surroundings. I will concede that financial security will quell your worries, but there are a VARIETY of other factors that come into being happy.

If you had nothing but money, you wouldn't be happy. If you had nothing but material possessions, you wouldn't be happy.

19. OP never meditated

20. Someone tell me what the fuck "happiness" means. There should be a definite answer because a word is something that we define. But there is not a definite answer, every person has some different idea of what happiness is.

We experience so many emotions, both positive, neutral and negative. Fuck what word you attribute with a certain emotion you feel, if someone finds pleasure, or happiness, or a sense of achievement, WHATEVER, from attaining money, then that's awesome. If someone else doesn't experience these emotions from attaining money, great. It all depends on the individual.