MMJ industry

Discussion in 'Cannabis Business Conferences and Trade Shows' started by DankDrD, Sep 1, 2018.

1. I'm trying get into the industry I'm curious the best way to start and things to be aware of. Tia

Sent from my Z982 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Where do you live?
    Do you know anyone in the industry?
    Do you have any applicable experience with horticulture or gardening?
    Experience in sales?
    Male or female?

3. Male or female?

Yea, this doesn’t matter. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'm in California I've done sales for about 10 years and as far as experience I only have what I've done on my own. Closet grows experimenting with concentrates. I'm also male if that even mattered

Sent from my Z982 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Check out events that have something you are interested in.

Be it a lab or a supplier or grower, in CA I'm sure there are a lot of similar "trade show" type things.

Check out new trends in horticulture, dispensary sales, or processing, what ever you are wanting to get into and find some business conventions that relate. Rub elbows and all that. Check out these businesses social media presence and research research research.

Try to gain some entry level employment within the industry is what I'd also recommend but each state is different and the milage may vary with that effort as well.

Hey I'm in the same boat as you pretty much. I'm sure there are many of us! Have a (sort of) steady main gig and I'm trying to find a way into my states industry. Went to a Marijuana Policy Project Business seminar but didn't really meet too many people. Was great to go and support the cause. Have some security and sales experience but way more experience with media in my case. Plus, I'm much more interesting in processing and honestly, I need to become a little more healthified before I can go full tilt into the working force again. I had considered going back to school to try for a nursing degree, for that side of the dispensary consultation, and to again rub elbows with scientists, lab people at the University, etc. Also wanted to audit some organic chemistry and botany classes too... If I can find the time and money.

I'd love to find a position with any of the larger groups that have licenses in my region, just to learn and see how it goes within the next few years as medical changes here.

There aren't many causes left that I'd sweep floors or basically do anything just to be able to contribute towards it and also make a living. This is one of them. Unfortunately, I have worked only for myself for over a decade and it's hard to try and re-resume and be current and also, do what is super hard for many and accurately "sell yourself"... Keep at it mang.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sorry to say but the majority of bud tenders are female.
    That's the reason I asked.
    I know that it isn't right or politically correct but it's the reality of it.
    If you don't have any experience in the cannabis industry, the easiest way to get in is bud tender.
    There are a lot of delivery services around where I live. A few advertise when they are hiring. Mostly drivers and delivery personnel.
    If youre looking to get into the grow end of things I would suggest applying with hydroponic companies. They're always hiring sales people and if you prove your knowledge you will make strong connections with big growers. A lot of them are big on social media so that is also a huge strength. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I downloaded Eventbrite, an app that tells me whats happening in my area. I have gone to many FREE consumer days, and a few Cannabis Job Fairs. I have talked with many interesting people and enjoy the Marketing Magic they use to dazzle New Customers. The Give away Swag Bags are pretty Nice too! To get in the Business you have Love it! swagbag.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. New West Summit 5
    Cannabis Tech, Media, Science, Investment, and Beyond.
    San Francisco, Ca Oct. 10th 11th.
    Great Conference to Mingle with the Movers and Shakers
    in the World of Cannabis. Celebrities become consumers and
    us Consumers feel like Celebrities!

9. Looks like a fun exhibit! I'll have to do a search for something like that in the Midwest. I don't know if there is anything a "normal" person can do to get into the business? By normal I mean no sales or real growing experience. I've tried a few plants in containers back in the day and had a vegetable garden before, but nothing like what they are doing now days. I've worked in the office, delivered pizza, factory work and nursing. I haven't smoked in years, but used to really like it and always had an itch to try to grow some good bud myself or be involved in some way. Now seems like the perfect time as there are courses on it and it looks to be a big industry fairly soon.

10. #12 Storm Crow, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    @Medsport7 Your "in" may be your nursing experience! Even if you were just a CNA, people with actual medical experience are scarce in the cannabis industry!

@ anyone interested in working at a dispensary as a budtender- Grab a copy of my List New July 2021 "Granny Storm Crow's List" and start educating yourself! The more you know, the better your chances of getting hired! Even just reading through the News section, can give you a pretty good education. :coffee:

You'll need to bone up on the medical uses of the THCs (8, 9 & 10), CBD, CBG and CBN ,as well as the terpenes- myrcene, beta caryophyllene, limonene, pinene and linalool. The study below has a nice chart that has what each one does. You can stop at limonene- the rest of the terpenes that they have listed are minor ones and not important yet. (However, they did miss "sleep aid" for CBN :goodnight: and beta caryophyllene is sometimes considered as a cannabinoid and not just a terpene.)

Advances and Perspectives in Tissue Culture and Genetic Engineering of Cannabis. (Canada)
    (full – 2021) Advances and Perspectives in Tissue Culture and Genetic Engineering of Cannabis

I'd also suggest checking out any dispensaries that you are thinking of working for as a customer. Buy an eighth, ask a few "beginner's" questions, see what their "vibe" is like, and how each one treats you. Check the restroom. Make sure the dispensary is clean and inviting. Let's just say there have been dispensaries I have visited once, never to return. :hide:

I found a very good local dispensary and I've been volunteering there (once a week) for several years. During that time, I have seen exactly ONE unhappy customer. To make a long story short, she was a "harder drug" user who claimed she got shorted (she wasn't). She got a free gram out of it, yet was still angry when she left. :confused_2: (This can't happen any more, since everything is pre-packaged in California.)

Every other customer complaint I've seen (usually leaky vape-pens) has been handled to the customer's satisfaction (replacement, and usually, a 10% discount on the next purchase).

Unfailing politeness, patience with beginners, and a willingness to clean the glass cabinets frequently are just as important to keeping a dispensary job, as learning about the products (check WeedMaps for what's available in your area). Beyond that, it's mostly common sense- don't steal, have a neat and clean appearance, and show up on time and ready to work.

Hope that helps,

Granny :wave:

• Winner Winner x 3