Male Isolation Chamber (Pollen Collection)

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Dewave, Mar 4, 2009.

1. #41 ludachris420, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
    I just run my males in a bathroom away from the grow rooms and use the bath tub,add a light and when finished I just hose down the walls and tub. Course I have a extra bathroom to do this. .and I would say any fan going is sure to move pollen.pollen is so light it can become airborne without any air movement.

2. So in order to pollinate a plant, a cutip should get a dab of pollen from the envelope and just spread onto the pistils of the flowering female? Is there an age that's best for this? I have some pollen in the freezer and I'm thinking about crossing some genetics...

3. seeds take about 3-4 weeks to mature so roughly halfway through flower should be a fine time

4. And by using a cutip, will I be able to transfer the pollen to only a couple bud sites or should I just watch out because pollen is so small that it can possibly fly everywhere?

5. q-tip will suffice as not much pollen is needed

make sure you turn of all fans and such as well, don't want pollen everywhere seeding the entire plant and possibly other crops

6. Okay very nice. So as long as there's no air flow, I can seed just a couple bud sites and get some seeds to plant for the next indoor season this way? Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it as I don't want to mess up my first genetic crossing.

7. actually female cannabis has peak ovulation times. They are within day 28 to 35 pollenating outside of this window will get pollen all over the other plants. Pollenate during this window to a plant you pull out of your grow room with a brush or ruffled up cutip and you can stick the plant back Into the room without any worry of pollenating other plants or branches.

8. #48 orellej, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2015
    i have had two males this year, an afghan kush and a pure afghani. as soon as i find a male i move it into my back room that has lots of windows and before the pods even begin to pop, i trim off all the branches with pollen sacs and put them into a paper bag to dry. if you leave them all on it is very difficult to control. I just leave the top pods on. i made a foil cup below the one cluster wrapping it around the branch. then i cut a paper plate that fits around the very top pods to collect the pollen. just the top 50 or so pods put out a lot of pollen. i can touch the bottom of a pod that looks like it is about to pop using my finger, then walk out to the greenhouse and touch a female flower rubbing off my finger. so i hope to get some good seeds and one of my new strains will be afghan/ charlottes web which should be great for pain, sleep. i have been taking lyrica for two years for back pain with shooting pain down the femoral nerve. i have some oil i made from the charlottes web which i eat now for the lyrica withdrawal which is really bad. i have also pollinated an afghan kush, an opium, caramelo and a viet/thai female so next year will be interesting.
    so my point is basically cut all the pods off but a couple clusters to make collection easier and control the pollen. there are many growing around where i live so i must be very cautious. john

Attached Files:

9. Wow this is amazing.............But one question is hovering in my mind that why you have sealed it in a container? By the way it is very nice research.

10. Because if he/she didn't then they have a good chance at contamination of pollen to all his female plants this way it's controlled release of pollen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app