Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making Water Soluble Cannabis Edibles at Home

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Ringodog, Nov 17, 2020.

1. I use a modified version of the original Duquenois-Levin test from the 1930's. It is single stage and does not use chloroform. I don't mind using chloroform for TLC but I don't do the Duquenois test often enough to store chloroform. This version is super DIY friendly. It uses plain old Denatured alcohol for the extraction and Muriatic Acid (HCl 37%) and Vanillin (5% diluted with the denatured alcohol).

3 drops of the extraction with 10 drops of the vanillin. Shake and add 10 drops of the HCl. Shake and wait up to 30 minutes. Usually starts turning right away and seldom goes longer than 1/2 hour.

I put a plain piece of caramel in a vial and added the vanillin and acid. It turned a very nice dark purple. When I tested the fermented juice that I made with the caramels, it showed zero. I have run the test over and over using different amounts of the sample but it's just too weak. I need a human test subject. LOL I did filter it and drank a shot today just to taste it. The taste is very tart. Typical of hard cider. So, I am thinking attenuation of the sugar was high. No real cannabis taste. I'll follow up when I get a human subject. LOL

• Like Like x 3
  2. I made another batch of tapioca maltodextrin infused with feco. My first batch was made with coconut oil, rosin, and powdered lecithin. On this batch I used mct oil, feco, and liquid lecithin.

Although in total I more than trippled the amount of maltodextrin it is still stronger than the first batch, (2 grams rosin on the first batch vrs 3,4 grams of feco on batch 2) although to be honest ill have to test more to be sure, I might have over did it today, lol.

I've been using this in coffee, shakes, and right off a teaspoon.

In coffee, as a treat, I use a tsp of the powder, hot chocolate mix, milk and mix it with coffee in a magic bullet for a mocha blast off. It does mix well without a blender in a hot drink though, it melts quickly. I can usually feel it before the coffee is gone.

In a shake or in food it still works but in a hour or so for me.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I used the last of mine in some hot chocolate the other night. It had cocoa butter in it so that worked well. I think I'm going to double up on mine this time, too, but not sure if I want to use a flavor this time. Nutella could be interesting.

Any bitterness to the feco/lecithin mix? :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. A very slight after taste when I used it in coffee by itself, but almost any flavoring will hide it. I use almond milk.

I use it most often just off a spoon and let it melt in my mouth, there is a little astringent after taste, but its easy to eliminate with a drink of something.

It seems to be fairly versatile, as far as how to use it, a nut butter seems a good fit.

• Like Like x 3
  5. I'm getting ready to start the citric acid decarb, the ethanol version since others here have done the vinegar. I think the ethanol will give a better extraction, maybe but since the kief remains in the mix that may not apply here. But I'd rather not have the vinegar aftertaste.

I'm not going to use the heat like BKS because I don't want any heat that could lead to some decarb. It's supposed to have the same reaction except that it takes a little longer. :)

citric acid decarb 1.jpg

• Like Like x 2