Lux Meter

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Scopetonic, Apr 18, 2021.

1. For those of you who use a smart phone lux meter, specifically the "lux meter" app on Android, what kind of readings are you shooting for at canopy height during mid flower?

I'm thinking 30,000 to 50,000 lux. When I took readings today I got about 35,000 average lux. I thought that was about right until I took the meter outside and measured full sun which was about 130,000 lux on the meter I am using. I read that the full sun should read about 50,000 lux so I think my meter is overreading by well over double.

What do you all think about this and what lux readings do you get when you point your meter at the sun and what readings do you shoot for at canopy height?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Waiting for Photone to come out on android. Im in the same boat as you.

3. Rare for growers these to use such an outdated shit...
    flip to U-mols along with the relevant PPFD
    for a more accurate reading as plants don't use Lu ....lol

check Bugbee in YT

good luck

ps the amount of Lu, you get is dependent on the time of year and day even cloud cover

4. The lux meter just gives you a idea how bright your light is, it don't measure spectrum that your lights put out. But with your light and plant is growing good under 35000 lux you just use your meter for that. I was going to buy a par meter for $500.00 but I think I know my lights pretty well so I can use my lux meter for different settings during grow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. What does your lux meter tell you when you point it straight at the sun? I understand there's going to be some variation, but it should be relatively constant as long as no clouds.

Also what are your target lux readings for various stages of the grow.

I just got my heat situation fully under control with a 600w hps in a 39"x39" and I want to drop my light down but I also don't want to push it to far

6. Buy a lux meter off amazon, they are like 15 bucks.

7. This is the one I use and love it, set it to lux and press the range button three times until it's on 100 simple as that.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. This plant here is only 31 days old in a 20 gallon air pot, and I'm only giving it 35000 lux and seems happy.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Like Clearsky said get a lux meter off of amazon. The lux readings from phone apps where way off ( lower ) than what the lux meter showed.

• 5,000 – 7,000 lux for clones and seedlings

• 15,000 – 50,000 lux for vegetative growth

• 45,000 – 65,000 lux for flowering

I also use around 35,000 lux for vegging and it works awesome.

The maximum amount of light recommended is 75,000 lux and anything higher than this will lead to diminished returns. Light bleaching will start to happen at 80,000 lux.

10. I find 35000-50000 to be about the max for flowering.

11. #11 bryan oconner, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Lux. It will also depend on the source of light it comes from . CFL HPS MH LED .
    With Mh i am giving them 22000 lux over the tops at a height of 3 feet with a 1000 watt bulb.
    Any closer is not needed in veg . With a t5 the lux is 25000 at a height of 3 inches over the top of the plants .
    With the led i was using it was total trash . It was 35000 lux and it was doing some sick shit to the plants . height was 18 inches then 24 then 30 inches worked better . Then stretch .Then me taking it down hang it in the garage .The led was not made for plants it was made for shop lighting .
    This is why it was hurting the plants . I thought the 6500 shop lighting would be perfect.
    I will update my hps lux later when i get home .
    Does a cfl bulb even make 20000 ? i think its 15000 tops . It will veg ok

12. Awesome! Thanks everybody for the specific lux values!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Damn my DE MH is giving 20,000 lux at a height of almost 6 feet in a 5x5 tent.

14. Still very curious what everyone's lux meter says when you point directly at the mid day sun with clear skies. Please post altitude and any other pertinent details.

Mine read 132,000 at 300ft

15. Mine said 130.000 at the time I tried it, around 10.30 AM I think it was.

16. No sun yesterday. No sun today. Probably no sun tomorrow.