Coronavirus COVID-19 Love in the Time of the Corona Virus

Discussion in 'General' started by Superjoint, Mar 17, 2020.

?

How long ,do you think, before the coronavirus pandemic will fade?

Poll closed Apr 7, 2020.
  1. A few weeks

39 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. A few Months

128 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. At least until next year

79 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. Several years

14 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Very true. And if by working at this everyday you mean you are doing a frontline job, then I want to thank you for what you're doing. Totally have any respect for anyone in the frontlines atm.

The seed places aren't essential businesses! That explains a lot. And seriously! Good thing Amazon exists and grocery stores and stuff are mostly delivering. I think we'd be way more screwed if we didn't have that type of convience at our fingertips.

2. Thanks. Frontline job and heading there in a few minutes. Another night of possibilities.

• Like Like x 2
  3. A lot of people dying are being labeled as coronavirus without confirmation. The virus is def a real thing but the numbers are a bit inflated. This is from a paramedic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. A paramedic you know and that has personally witnessed this?

There have also been a lot of undiagnosed die at home, so perhaps the numbers are even higher than reported. Who really knows at this point?

There are also a bunch of folks that comforted by conspiracy theories, it gives a reason for the chaos.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Here you go - thumbnail_Covidroller.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. There are never a spot on accurate numbers during something like this. Without knowing for sure, deaths could be labeled as pneumonia, (insert any number of respiratory issues), etc. I wouldn't sweat the 100% accuracy of the numbers as we'll never know.

7. #147 Dizzy, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    I just thought I would share some good News.I know somebody who has COVID19 an she a close Friend of My Sister an she also has Congenital central hypoventlaton syndrome (CCHS) its a rare disease but I just talked to her an she says she is feeling a lot better an didn't even need her ventilatoer today either or Yesterday... she say she "on the road to recovery"

~Toni~

• Like Like x 4
  8. Good for her! Our first Covid 19 patient moved out of the ICU a few weeks and finally got to talk to his wife and kids. Wasn't sure he was going to live at the beginning due to the severity of his condition.

• Friendly Friendly x 1

9. Thank you im very Happy to hear this as well. That's so good your Patient got moved out of ICU an got to talk to his Wife an Kids :) Great to hear. Congrats to him.

~Toni~

10. My cousin, who’s an RN, has been diagnosed. She’s at home in quarantine with her daughter. No fever but shortness of breath, light headed. They provided her with a puffer to aid her breathing, with mixed results. I asked her in a text if it was like a really bad flu and she responded yes X 10.

• Like Like x 1
  11. No new cases in my city the last 5 days, people are obeying isolation rules and we're winning. Hope y'all are staying safe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Go on the CDC.gov website and go to the recommendations relating cause of death pdf file. Read it. The cdc recommends deaths “presumed” and/or “assumed” to be this virus be labeled as the virus as the cause of death.
    “Assumed” is a word that lets hospitals make their own judgment. Are they funding hospitals based on deaths from this virus? I’m not sure how the funding works exactly, but not all doctors are created equal, meaning some doctors judgement are the opposite of other doctors.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. as mentioned elswhere I'm back from Sweden and its full on ...Normal!

[​IMG]
    Sweden's strategy to keep large parts of society open is widely backed by the public. It has been
    devised by scientists and backed by government, and yet not all the country's virologists are convinced.

There is no lockdown here. Photos have been shared around the world of bars with crammed outdoor seating and long queues for waterfront ice cream kiosks, and yet it is a myth that life here goes on "as normal".

On the face of it little has shut down. But data suggests the vast majority of the population have taken to voluntary social distancing, which is the crux of Sweden's strategy to slow the spread of the virus.

Usage of public transport has dropped significantly, large numbers are working from home, and most refrained from travelling over the Easter weekend. The government has also banned gatherings of more than 50 people and visits to elderly care homes.
    Around 9 in 10 Swedes say they keep at least a metre away from people at least
    some of the time, up from seven in 10 a month ago, according to a major survey by polling firm Novus.
    [​IMG]
    Chief state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell is broadly popular in Sweden. An experienced
    scientist with more than 30 years in medicine, he is known for his relaxed
    demeanour and preference for pullovers.

"He's a low-key person. I think people see him as a strong leader but not a very loud person, careful in what he's saying," reflects Emma Frans, a Swedish epidemiologist and science writer. "I think that's very comforting for many."

She argues that many national and international media have been "searching for conflict" within the scientific community, whereas she believes there is a consensus that Anders Tegnell's approach is "quite positive", or at least "not worse than other strategies".

Has Sweden got its coronavirus science right?

14. meanwhile in Spain:
    [​IMG]
    Authorities in a Spanish coastal resort have apologised after spraying a beach with bleach
    in an attempt to protect children from coronavirus.

Zahara de los Atunes, near Cadiz, used tractors to spray more than 2km (1.2 miles)
    of beach with a bleach solution a day before Spain allowed children out of lockdown for the first time.

Environmentalists say the move caused "brutal damage" to the local ecosystem.
    Spain has been badly affected by the coronavirus, with 23,800 deaths.
    It recently announced a four-phase plan to lift its stringent lockdown measures
    and return to a "new normality" by the end of June.

María Dolores Iglesias, who heads an environmental volunteer group in
    the Cadiz region, said she had visited the beach at Zahara de los Atunes
    and seen the damage for herself.

She said the bleach "killed everything on the ground, nothing is seen, not even insects".

The beach and its dunes are protected breeding and nesting places
    for migratory birds and Ms Iglesias said she had seen at least one nest with eggs destroyed by the tractors
    Ms Iglesias said that because of the lockdown, wildlife had been thriving on the beach.

"The beach has its own way of cleaning itself, it was not necessary," she said.

"They do not think that this is a living ecosystem, but a lot of land."
    Local official Agustín Conejo admitted it was "a wrong move".
    "I admit that it was a mistake, it was done with the best intention," he said.

Mr Conejo said they had wanted to protect children who were
    coming to see the sea after six weeks in confinement.
    The Andalusian regional government is now considering fining the local authority
    for its action, El Pais newspaper reports.
    Greenpeace in Spain drew a comparison with controversial statements
    by US President Donald Trump, who suggested that injecting patients with disinfectant
    might help treat coronavirus

Outcry as Spanish beach sprayed with bleach

15. Somehow they confused “Beach” with “Bleach”.

j

16. [​IMG]
    When Covid-19 was at its height in China, doctors in the city of Wuhan were able to use artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms to scan the lungs of thousands of patients.

The algorithm in question, developed by Axial AI, analyses CT imagery in seconds. It declares, for example, whether a patient has a high risk of viral pneumonia from coronavirus or not.
    A consortium of firms developed the AI in response to the coronavirus outbreak. They say it can show whether a patient's lungs have improved or worsened over time, when more CT scans are done for comparison.
    [​IMG]
    A hospital in Malaysia is now trialling the system and Axial AI has also offered to donate it to the NHS.
    Around the world, artificial intelligence (AI) technologies are being rapidly deployed as part of efforts to tackle the coronavirus pandemic. Some question whether these tools are reliable enough, though - after all, people's lives are at stake.
    The BBC has asked the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) to confirm whether Axial AI's system will be trialled in the UK but has so far not received a response.

A stumbling block for the tool may simply be that the NHS is not commonly using CT scanners to make images of Covid-19 patients' lungs. Chest X-rays are much more often used instead. They are less detailed than CT scans but are quicker to do and radiologists can still identify, for example, pneumonia in the images.

17. I've been home for two months now. Thank God for weed and for tv.

I'm going to venture out on Wednesday for a few days to go and see my grandchildren. I know my son's house is safe and I will go straight from my car into his house so it will be safe.

I really don't think it's going to be over with soon. Now that they are opening up more states, it's going to spread even more.

18. Hi guys. I was just over at PubMed and while looking at a study only marginally related to cannabis, (Low-Cost Active Thermography Using Cellphone Infrared Cameras: From Early Detection of Dental Caries to Quantification of THC in Oral Fluid - PubMed ), it brought up an interesting thought about your cell phones.

It seems that some cell phones have infrared cameras. Couldn't you could use the camera to look at people and screen them to do a quick, non-invasive temperature check? Of course, it wouldn't detect the asymptomatic carriers, but I know that I wouldn't want to be downwind of someone with a fever, no matter what the cause! :hide:

Granny (and back to the studies!) :coffee:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Granny, im get emails from my security camera store, they are selling sec cameras with covid busting IR software already installed. Damn.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  20. US criticised for hoarding world's supply of coronavirus drug remdesivir
    [​IMG]
    Health experts have slammed the United States for hoarding almost all of the world's supply
    of remdesivir, the only drug licensed so far to treat COVID-19, warning that type of selfish
    behaviour sets a dangerous precedent for attempts to share scarce treatments amid the pandemic.

The US Government announced on Tuesday that President Donald Trump had struck "an amazing deal"
    to buy the drug made by Gilead Sciences, for Americans.

The Department of Health and Human Services said Mr Trump had secured 500,000 treatments of
    the drug through September, representing 100 per cent of Gilead's July production capacity and
    90 per cent of its capacity in August and September.
    Thomas Senderovitz, head of the Danish Medicines Agency, told Danish broadcaster DR
    that the move could endanger Europeans and others down the road
    US buys up almost entire world supply of coronavirus drug remdesivir

• Disagree Disagree x 1