Let's make an auto, from scratch

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Nosmatt, Aug 28, 2020.

1. #1 Nosmatt, Aug 28, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    And I mean from scratch...

Picked up beans from ace seeds in Spain. The plan is to domesticate these landrace, and make an auto as close as possible to the malawi with my limited experience.
    What could go wrong?

The subjects;
    Siberean ruderalis.
    Malawi

A brief description of each:
    Siberean ruderalis
    "Giant and vigorous autoflowering strain with good trichome production. The villagers near lake Chebarkul (Russia) have been using these semi-wild plants for making some incredibly flavorful, high CBD charas"
    (1.5-3.0 meters in the wild)
    Malawi
    "After years of hard work and intense selections with sativas from all around the world, we can confirm that Malawi is the most powerful and psychedelic landrace sativa we know of."

I may end up doing a Panama red with them, but I'm not going to commit just yet.

So, the plan as it sits now.
    Start a couple Rudy's, and probably 3 Malawi.
    If I get same sex Rudy's, not the end of the world. I'll pollinate a Malawi with both males seperately, and branches will be labeled in case we get a hermie or some other trait I'd like to lose.
    If I end up with fem and male Rudy's, I'll make some more pure Rudy if the phenos end up being nice. I have a feeling they will be fine, aside from hermies of course. These plants are F3 I believe from wild to domesticate a little, and root out poor traits.

The Malawi will get pollinated by two males, or two fems will get the one male. That's just all the space I have available to me. I'll want more Malawi down the road anyway.
    A branch of the fem will get the Rudy pollen as well. I plan to maximize pheno expression as much as possible. I am not sure which parent should be the photo and which should be auto, but I'll do some self educating to find out if it matters.

The f1 will be 0%, and the f2 will be 25% auto. This is going to be the toughest part.
    I plan to start a shit load of the f2 in my small 2x8' bed. Culling as needed untill hopefully I'm left with a good breeding pair of full auto f2s
    The F3 should be 100% auto.
    At that point, I'll need to back cross to the Malawi parent to try and lock in as many desirable traits, and root out some of the ruderalis.
    This is where my knowledge drops off, and I'll need to study a bit more. Luckily I have lots of time before I am to that point
    The beans are already in hand. I don't want to link the site, but ace seeds has an amazing write up on these strains.

I'll update once something happens. Waiting on Amazon for a couple new toys to make this a tad easier on me.

• Like Like x 6
  2. sounds fun. What's you end goal for the strain?malawi characteristics in an auto form?

I've bred a S60/GDP auto using sour60 auto for the base auto genetics, and GDP photo. I've taken it to f9 now. Feel free to ask any questions if ya want. I created it to try to make a small auto for outdoors that has gdp taste, gdp density, and purple.

You mentioned space being an issue, I did most of my breeding on a small scale to save space. IMO if you have your environment dialed in, then you can just grow dwarf plants to get a good representation of the genetics. Maybe something to consider if you want to speed it up a little bit, or get a better selection.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Goal is just that, an auto Malawi that hopefully finishes a bit faster. Something outside that will still be huge, yet growable by our northern friends.

Plus I just really prefer autos, this seemed like a cool project with a true wild ruderalis. And a giant one to boot. 5-10' is pretty close to the Malawi, so I don't think I will end up with any small plants. Obviously this could pose it's own problems.

The gear I am waiting on is a tent to help out with this. I picked up a small qb, and I have a t5 fixture as well.
    My grow room is sealed/cooled/co2 fortified. I didn't have another room, or tent,and I wanted a place I can put male cuts that are near ready to spew. This tent will be just the ticket I think. It will also double for plenty of other aspects I'm sure.
    Your input and advice is welcome anytime. I'm no breeder, just a hobbyist looking to have some fun.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Good luck dude! Sounds like a cool project.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dropped 3 Panama, 2 Malawi, and 3 ruderalis seeds into rapid rooters, under a dome on 8-31.
    The ruderalis were stored in the freezer for 3 weeks.
    All seeds were scarified before dropping.
    Rapid rooters were soaked in a very mild kelp tea for 24 hours prior to drop.
    Seed starter tray Temps have been 77-80 and rh has been 68-75% continuously.
    1 Panama has just started to emerge.
    20200830_194414.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  6. I'm going to be breeding my own autos too nos! I'll be following along closely taking notes, hope it all works out buddy

• Like Like x 3
  7. That's great to hear.

As for the grow, we have all 3 Panama up, and 1 Malawi. Nothing from the ruderalis. They are notoriously hard to pop, we shall see what happenes.
    I have another Malawi soaking in case this one is a dud. I'll put it in a rapid rooter tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 20200903_195349.jpg 20200903_195353.jpg
    They are up and transplanted to a little seed starter mix in my grow bed. One ruderalis looks like it's about to emerge. I manually cracked the other two as suggested by the seed bank. Then back into their rooters they went.
    Backup Malawi is now in a rooter.

• Like Like x 3
  9. This might be the end of this project, I just don't know.

Creek fire headed my way. Packed up the essentials, and now we wait. In the meantime, I had a pair of ruderalis pop up, after I manually cracked open. I wouldn't usually tp this yet, but I'm out of time. Gave the bed a gigantic soaking, and dropped two ruderalis and a Malawi.
    Total count is 3 Panama, 2 Malawi, and two ruderalis.

Hopefully I'll have an update soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. aw fuck man, sorry to hear that. stay safe, good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Hey nos hope y’all are safe, do you think one could do a breeding project with any Mephisto plant as long as they have fresh male pollen ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. The original breeder has nothing to do with being able to do your own breeding project. As long as you have pollen and a flower to pollinate, you can breed!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Shit, stay safe!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Thanks for the comments and we'll wishes folks, they are much appreciated!

Due to the evacuation lines being redrawn, we were allowed back home.
    My plants were mostly fine, although one of the ruderalis in my grow bed vanished. But wouldn't ya know it, about 15 days after dropping, one popped up out of the rapid rooter. It's leaf area is smaller than a dime, but I went ahead and transplanted it anyway. I am amazed it didn't dry out in the starter tray.
    The Panama plants are thriving. They grew a lot. One of the Malawi as well. The single Rudy is still alive, about half dollar size now. Again I wouldn't normally transplant these so small, but I had other more pressing things to worry about. There is just more moisture in the beds if I have to leave again for several days.
    Bed took about 6 gallons of water to fully rehydrate, over the last 6 hours,but everything looks great. Also, temp and humidity were awesome while I was away. I don't think the ac has been running much, it usually pushes the rh way down.
    Here are some pics

20200910_104011.jpg 20200910_104058.jpg 20200910_104135.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. I'm glad to hear you are ok and the project is still on! :yay:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Panama plants are doing great, same with Malawi.
    A little tip burn on the first leaves, doesn't seem to be showing on fan leaves. Mix might have still been a tad hot. I think they will be fine.
    The baby Rudy's seem to be fine as well, and the place I got the seeds from warned they need poor soil with low nutrients.

20200913_081442.jpg 20200913_081427.jpg 20200913_081409.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Malawi day 15
    20200917_183137.jpg
    Panama day 15
    20200917_183156.jpg

Forgot to take a pic of the autos... They took far longer to pop. Can't tell yet if they are stunted. Really worried about that with the poor soil recommendation. I'll know by the end of the weekend I'm guessing.

• Like Like x 2
  18. You really have to bury your head in the sand and only watch Fox news to be this brainwashed

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. I'm guessing you meant to post in the political forum, but got high?
    :passing-joint:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Larger Rudy is 9 days, smaller is 7 days. Best I can tell. I was preoccupied with a fire, so my notes aren't that great, but that's what
    I'm going with.
    They both are far too small for this age. I have never grown this strain, so it could be normal, but my experience with autos says otherwise.
    20200919_082027.jpg

Also turned off the ac and turned on the co2. Temps look to have dropped enough for that.
    Lights are at 25% power, and 24" from plants.
    Light cycle is 20/4.
    This will have to be flipped in the next week to control the height, and sex the Malawi and Panama plants.
    Then I will take clones and cull a few to make room.

• Like Like x 1