Let's Build a Nutrient Temperature Controller for $35!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jakesterjammin, Oct 3, 2012.

1. So continuing on my journal to perpetual I have 3 strains that I will try to master and lock in to give maximum yeild and potency Wwo 3 , Wwo 2 and Eldorado ...my Wwo 2. flowering clones aren't growingfast enough and sorrounding foilage is dieing off and new shoots arent growing out enough but they have roots though so there is still hope !

Does any one have any ideas on how i should design my perpetual ill list my equipment ...and space.

Lighting

1, 400w switchable with hps bulb
    1,150w hps (gonna do diy switchable mod )
    4, 70w hps
    1, 2bulb 4ft t12 fluorescent
    1, 4bulb 4ft t12 fluorescent
    1, 27w 2700k cfl
    4, 23w 5000k (100equiv) cfl bulbs
    4, 13w 2700k (60equiv) cfl bulbs

Ventilation

1, 450cfm 3speed (salvaged frm Lasko blower)
    1, 125cfm 120v axel fan
    2, 1500w space heaters (1 large ,1 small)
    1, 6000btu/h window ac
    2, micro desk fans
    20ft of 4in ducting

Hydroponics Media/ Containers

1, 45 liter bag of B'cuzZ rokz
    4, 5gal buckets
    2, 10gal ruffntuff totes with (4 lids for different variations )
    2, 5gal netpot lids
    2, 6in netpots
    20, 2in netpots
    20+, foam 2in inserts

Soil Media/Containers
    1, 8quart bag of MG perlite
    1, 8 quart bage of MG sphagnum peat moss
    1, 16 quart bag of MG potting soil
    2, 14 quart bags of all purpose potting soil n.p.k .10.08.06
    1, 4lb bag of Garden Safe crawling insect killer (diatomaceous earth)
    4, 6.2l flower pots
    10+, random 2l popbottels

Nutrients

GH 3Part nutrients 1 quart bottels
    GH FloraBlend vegan plant booster 1 quart
    Sensi Bloom AnB 2 part ph perfect nutrients
    Superthrive
    home made ph up and down

Others
    5, timers ,2 digital ,3 mechanical or analog
    3, hygrometers
    1, humidity/temperature monitor
    1, ultrasonic humidifier
    2, submersible water pumps 250l and 70l or gal
    1, fishtank air pump
    1, 70l/hr airpump with 8 port manifold
    3, 4 in airstones
    1, 8in airstones
    6, micro airstones
    4, powerstrips
    1 20lb Co2 tank (half full)
    and a few other random ballest

Also running are a few homemade dwc/bubble cloner. ..

My Over All Room to work in size
    14ft l x 9ft w x 9ft h

400w in closet flower room space 2'4"l x2'11"w x 5'9" h
    with about 3ft overhead space to put ballest and electrical

I have a stealth dresser for my mothers ,but i might put the 150 hps in 1'5"l x 2'6"w x 2'h

and another cab i need to get going for wig and clones

.....If anything else comes up I'll post and much Thanks for your support and assessment GCers

2. dang sorry thought i was im my thread the whole time i was typing ...sorry agian

3. Hello jj ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  4. #164 PeterJohn48115, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Hi everyone...i am a new user here. I want to know do both the plugs have to do heating and cooling or is it possible to have both do cooling? I think it would be cool to have a single unit using two outlets, its literally half the cost of a single temp controller from cap,so i could build two and control two devices.

pcb assembly

5. You could rig it where both outlets are live for either cooling or heating. But there's only 1 probe for the temperature monitor, so you would not be able to control more than 1 environment. And both outlets combined should draw less than 10 amps total.

These controllers are very nice. I initially used one to control a beer fermentation chamber. It's now at times also in use as a clone rooting chamber. I use a big jar of water as a stabilizing factor within the chamber. And encase the probe in dense foam, with an open side that gets taped up against the jar of water. Helps to regulate readings, not turning heat or cooling on more than neccessary.

6. #166 cane10, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    So If I am reading this correctly this will watch the temperature of DWC bubble bucket and you can choose to cool or heat to desired temp if so... this is dope.....what would I plug into the outlet??? A chiller?? My pump? Plz advise

Sent from my SM-J327V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. #168 cane10, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    What does this box power?? Only thing that I see is a tube heater?? Somebody mentioned using coils in a water dispenser...that sounds pretty damn smart

Sent from my SM-J327V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. As I say, I used it to control a mini fridge beer fermentation chamber. In my above example, the plug for the mini fridge itself was plugged into the cool side of the stc output (fridge would turn on when temp got too hot). The heat side was connected to a reptile heater bulb inside the fridge, which would turn on when temps got too cold. It worked very well.
    For you, you probably would hook up a chiller to the "cool" power plug. And an aquarium water heater to the "heat" side. Assuming you'd have the room in DWC bucket, it would make for extremely well regulated temperatures within the bucket itself.
    Think of the STC as just a thermometer. With the added benefit that it will active the correct circuits to keep the temp at the set point. You certainly could buy other temp controllers that wouldn't require DIY, but they aren't nearly as affordable. And the DIY part of this is pretty easy. Best of luck, GBBW.

• Like Like x 1