Let's Build a Nutrient Temperature Controller for $35!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jakesterjammin, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Ah too bad I've already got the 6" hoods, but your above statement is more then likely my best bet since I've already got these hoods. Thanks JJ

2. Late as usual and I sure wished I had found this thread before this winter, but summer is coming soon so I am getting this project going. Thanks Jakester. This project is one of the most useful I have seen. Low cost, easy, takes care of the garden needs and helps control and save money on utility costs.

3. Maybe all the members that like it suggest this thread be a sticky :confused_2:

Because I have to totally agree, it's the most cost efficient temp controller, it's so easy to do, it's really a grade school project, and it TOTALLY is worth the effort put into making a temp controller that works great for nutrient temp control too....

IMPO, ANYONE which grows this will benefit.... ;)
    And you ONLY can get this kind of step by step with help if needed @ GrassCity!! :hello:

Cause this is the only forum I post to.... :D

:wave:

4. This thread SHOULD be a sticky.

5. EVERYONE that likes it, PM YODA and say it should be a stickier because it's useful to everyone growing.......

:wave:

6. Done. :D

:poke: :bolt:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Yeh yeh makes sense when I look at it proper lol, 8 into 6 don't fit lol,
    Lucky me I haven't brought my hoods for my 600 s yet,think I'll spend the extra for the 8".

8. Done, man. Although I didn't get quite as creative as CD....:rolleyes:

I also didn't tell him it turned into a $1000 controller after I included my medical bills. But I have parts coming for 3 more, so hopefully I will get my average cost down...

:smoking:

9. Thanks for the pms jake..:p :p
    :laughing:

10. ROFLMFAO :hello:

Thought ya may like dat :D

:bolt:

11. :poke:

Nothing like turning your groupies into stalking horses for your buddies...

:bolt:

12. So just wanted to make sure....will this 110v 10 amp unit be enough to run a portable a/c unit and a small space heater for environmental control?

13. Depend on what you mean by small...

I run a "small" heater on mine, and the cooling side just runs the fan that dumps air outside. My heater has two settings 1000 & 1500 watts. Keep in mind that to figure amps, just divide watts by the voltage, in this case 120. So my heater pulls 12.5 amps and 8.33 amps. So, I have to run mine on low.

For the a/c, you will have to check and see how many amps the unit pulls. Somewhere I saw JJ with the figures on how many watts a btu of cooling pulls, but I don't know where that was. Your unit should tell you.

Finding a 20 amp unit would be cool, but they start getting pricey enough it is easier to buy a regular controller.

14. Yeah good point with trying to find a 20 amp controller = $$$.... I was thinking of using this for heating and cooling the room temps and still think it's possible, hopefully.

What I've been doing so far is have my exhaust fan plugged into the same breaker as my lights. So once they go on so does my fan. That has worked well, keeping my temps at 26 c, worst case 28.

So a usual portable a/c is 10 amps, my heater is the same as yours pretty much. But both won't be running at the same time and the heater will more then likely be out of the picture in a few months anyways.

Now the question is will this controller turn on an a/c rated at 10amps?

15. Yes it will do it, but 9.73 amps is to much, you'll overheat the relay, and it won't last long.......
    You need at least a 15% buffer, so 8.5a max really...
    They sell 15a ones too, you just have to find them....

16. Thanks Jake, I'll have to keep an eye out then. But I could use the temp meter for the exhaust fan maybe, and find an a/c that has it's own gauge for temps? Still have to look into it I guess.

17. Blowers are 3a at the most..
    Chillers up to 3/4hp are 5a to 8a......

A 5K BTU A/C chiller conversion is about 5.5a... ;)

18. Thanks Doc for the link....for what I was thinking of using if for it would still be the same as using the 110v 10 amp. 10amp is 10amp, I'm still looking into an a/c anyways so I'll have to do more research. Cheers thou