Lets Build a Bubble Bucket *Step by Step*

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Rumpleforeskin, Oct 29, 2006.

1. thanks, you rock

2. Rump, during the past year, I have ran a single bucket recirculating DWC with no issues. In fact, a single bucket DWC will have an extremely difficult time flooding the room. You say "Everyone one I know...", so I am now suggesting to you that now you do know someone that has not flooded. There is something to be said about being able to recirculate your solution, mix up all the goodness, so particles are scattered throughout and not at the bottom - for a single bucket. Most ever respect to you, Rump, of course. Just trying to push the conversation into different areas.

3. It is hard not to love the concept of recirculating DWC. It seems to have logic on it's side. I am glad it has worked out for you.
    Them roots like to go in every space they can worm into. I have had the bottom drain plug up with roots all the way through the pipe to the other bucket. But most of the disasters I have seen come from bad engineering, bad practices, or being dumb.
    In short, RDWC is possible and a very good way to grow weed.
    I know a guy who can grow some nice plants without recirculating.. Just saying. [​IMG]

4. #5725 GrowDoe, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
    Understand, Rump, and your points are well taken. I guess the main point I am trying to make is that a SINGLE bucket RDWC system has a much lower risk of flooding. If it clogs, the water stops flowing, that's it. But what I would really like to point out the great honor it is to have the great Rumpleforeskin give me an immediate reply. Enjoy your Saturday morning, sir. :)

Edit: forgot to add my smiles

5. While I'm here today, I should add - and this is to all the readers - you will feel as if you have a Masters Degree in Hyrdro if you read EVERY post of Rumpleforeskin's guide. I read this guide and grew the most amazing plant I had ever seen. 9oz from one plant in a single bucket.

6. Very kind words.
    Thank you.

7. I am using the bubble buckets now and they work great.

8. Because of you I started a bubble bucket grow. Checkout my sig. Just a simple bubble bucket with harvest stone.

9. Hey there. in process of making one of your bubble buckets. can you tell me what the purpose of the fill and drain parts are for? I know the answer is obvious but what i am trying to ask is what procedure are you carrying out with thest holes, why are you doing it and when should you use these parts.

I think the fill is obvious but im not sure why you have the drain. I am quite new to hydro. been growing for a years and ive only just started learning the last few weeks and i am having a hard time trying to understand everything.

10. I would think the fill port would be the one you wanted to find out the reason for.

The drain port will allow you to change out the nutrients and to pull tests from. Most folks drain a few times per cycle, and everyone will drain before switching cycles. Veg and flower formulas will not be the same.
    Another use for the drain is to run in series or to ass a reservoir. Simply plugging in two buckets to each others drain port will double the systems capacity. I like to run one reservoir bucket for every two grow buckets.

If you plan on making a series/chain of buckets, you only have to make one sight gage for all of them. All will find the same level as long as the fill ports are open.

Don't make the fill port..... The new design is to make the fill port in the lid next to the basket hole off to one side. Less chance of leaks. I don't run the O-rings any more. Bulkhead fitting are so much nicer and never leak no matter how rough your are with them.

Bulkhead Fitting - T x T - .5 in.

I just use a few big air stones instead of making the PVC holders.

Hope that helps.

R.

11. So I'm building my bucket (10 of them actually)
    They'll all be placed in my apollo 60x60x80 tent.
    Now with these buckets are they built for for a main reservoir system? or is the bucket their own R system?

(sorry if this question was already asked previously by someone else, I couldn't find it)

12. It can be done both ways. I like running a reservoir, it keeps PH swings under control, and less maintenance.

13. Apologies in advance if this has been answered already. I do aim to read through the thread when I have the time.

The question is whether this system would be suitable for a 6-8 plant stealth grow. The plants would be in a 5 x 8 x 8 purpose built structure within a flat/apartment with neighbours bedrooms above and below.

The cab will be built from moisture resistant gyproc sheets on either side of a 3 x 3 timber frame, perhaps using insulation between the gyproc. I'm hoping this will eliminate the chance of neighbours hearing anything. Every precaution has been taken in regards to ventilation so that is not an issue. There will also be a small chamber between the room and inside of the cab to prevent odour leakage during maintenance.

Sorry a bit off topic there.

Will these buckets be very noisy, I would also prefer not to hear them within the house either, for when people are visiting etc. From what I've seen so far the noise comes from large bubbles surfacing in one spot. I assume most of people's examples I seen online don't have to worry about dB.

I was wondering if putting a series of nets from bottom to top to break up the bubbles would have a sufficient effect on overall noise, and perhaps greater oxigination provided as a by product. Has this been tried?

Unfortunately I already half accept they will be far too noisy but I have wanted to try bubble buckets for ages after seeing an old friends results, not in the flesh though. I'm no longer in contact so can't ask them.

:thankyou: Love the initial design btw, looking forward to reading through the thread and seeing how it develops.

14. Apologies in advance if this has been answered already. I do aim to read through the thread when I have the time.

The question is whether this system would be suitable for a 6-8 plant stealth grow. The plants would be in a 5 x 8 x 8 purpose built structure within a flat/apartment with neighbours bedrooms above and below.

The cab will be built from moisture resistant gyproc sheets on either side of a 3 x 3 timber frame, perhaps using insulation between the gyproc. I'm hoping this will eliminate the chance of neighbours hearing anything. Every precaution has been taken in regards to ventilation so that is not an issue. There will also be a small chamber between the room and inside of the cab to prevent odour leakage during maintenance.

Sorry a bit off topic there.

Will these buckets be very noisy, I would also prefer not to hear them within the house either, for when people are visiting etc. From what I've seen so far the noise comes from large bubbles surfacing in one spot. I assume most of people's examples I seen online don't have to worry about dB.

I was wondering if putting a series of nets from bottom to top to break up the bubbles would have a sufficient effect on overall noise, and perhaps greater oxigination provided as a by product. Has this been tried?

Unfortunately I already half accept they will be far too noisy but I have wanted to try bubble buckets for ages after seeing an old friends results, not in the flesh though. I'm no longer in contact so can't ask them.

:thankyou: Love the initial design btw, looking forward to reading through the thread and seeing how it develops.

15. They make as much noise as a fish tank. The bubbles don't make a sound, it is the pump. Most are just a low hum.

16. Thanks for the awesome step-by-steps.. How much have you changed it in 10 years?

"The world is in your hands,
    Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 1
  17. I use bulkhead fittings (no O-rings), I place the fill port in the lid, and I just buy a few big air stones (no PVC stone holder). When this post was made, we did not have a lot of the things we have now days, and if we did have it, the cost was high.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Could like 6 or 4 of these be run with one air pump, in series ? Or must each bucket have a pump ?

19. You could get pumps of all sizes. I like to have two outlets connected to each bucket. I have seen large pumps that feed 10 buckets.