Learning Photography

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Headhunterpipes, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Yes i would like to sell some of my lenses and get 100mm macro

2. This is the Nikon 40mm f2.8 DX Micro lens, i haven't done much with it yet.
    IMG_20210117_162307.jpg IMG_20210117_162354.jpg IMG_20210117_162249.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. [​IMG]
    Tilt shift TSE 17mm canon L

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Let's talk shooting buds. What's your setup for photographing inside, outside, manicured bud shots, whatever...

I haven't shot buds with my camera. Thinking black background, 50 mm 1.8 on a tripod?

☮️

• Like Like x 1
  6. Normally a black back drop is not the best color for product photography
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Do you have a flash for your camera ?

I have professional strobes and soft boxes ,, Alien Bee 1600 and a White lightening 1800 strobes. and a 580 speed lite

50mm lens should work well on smaller subjects ,,, like a bud .
    I would make sure your camera and strobes are not lined up so you get angle of reflection from the smooth surface of the back drop .

Me I would use one of my lower MM lens ,, I would be around a F 9 to F12 .
    Unless you wish to do the bokken effect at lower F stops .
    For photographing BUDS you could buy a small light tent ..
    Light tents have issues when photographing smooth surfaced non metallic subjects .
    [​IMG]

Inside a large 5ft x 5ft light tent/box .. there is 3600 watts of CFL on the outside of the light tent/ box .
    I prefer to use strobes over tungsten , led or CFL
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. #30 gumbygrow, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    This one I used a flashlight and adjusted my white balance color temperature in post. I used an extension tube on a crappy old 28-90mm. The depth of field gets thinner the closer you get, the more magnification used and or wider aperture used. Really close macro stuff on objects with depth really need stacked to get the whole object in focus.
    Edit: this one is not stacked if you zoom full sized you will see how narrow depth of field is. 0H5W0348.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Hi
    just thoughts .
    I don' consider myself a professional photographer , Photography is a form artistry , Everyone does it differently.

Lighting ,,, the more light control you have the simpler and better your photography will be.

Once I started using flash/strobes i have never considered using other kinds of lighting ..
    I have found flash lights work really good ,, for cheap way to do professional level product photography i think using a flash light is a great way to get great product photography photos cheaply .
    I know a custom knife maker who uses flash lights .

Product photography changes big time from smooth surfaced non metallic subject to subjects that don't have smooth surface like clothing or weed for example ..
    Clothing/ weed should be easier to photograph then like a pool cue on fine furniture , because of the reflective surface ..

Don't use CFL lighting because CFL lighting flickers and your brightness could be all over the place ..

IMO all product photography should be done in manual mode and using custom white balance .

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have used allot of mirrors in some of my commercial photography.
    You can make any colored mirror just by taping colored construction paper to the back of clear piece of glass .

• Like Like x 2
  12. I'm loving all the work, damn damn damn. I've never used manual white balance, I only shoot raw so the only time I'd use custom white balance is if I'm shooting video but I should experiment more with it for sure. I have a suggestion for shooting pool cues, when using a background with texture such as the black cloth in your last photo I'd suggest leaving more distance between the subject and the background then setting up the camera further away and zoom in. The perception will make the cues fill up the frame more and the details in the fabric will have an almost landscape larger than life feel to them if that makes sense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Me too , I only shoot in RAW too .
    I have only used a custom white balance for indoor photography .

Commercial Photography on pool cues that will be sold internationally.
    Man there is allot to getting good pool cue photos ..
    Me stumbling through photography is a very accurate description of what was doing ..

I started from zero photography knowledge .. and not that know anything now ..
    But now I have on hands experience.
    As said getting the wood figure or wood grain and the woods natural color through the glass like finish is easier said then done .

I don't own a straight 24mm or a 50 mm lens , not that i think those are the best lens to photograph a pool cue .
    I have used a canon EF-S 18-55 mm lens .
    I had to make my cue business work .. or i wouldn't eat or make mortgage payments ..

Honestly I have tried other lenses ,,, i like the TSE 17mm lens allot , more then my TSE 24mm lens or EF-S 10-22 mm lens or my 80 mm 1.8 lens .

I will do some more experimenting. but i have over 10.000 pictures of pool cues ..
    The pictures I am posting is from photo bucket ,they froze my account , darkened my photos and cropped them and then blocked me from 9000 of my photos
    Your really not seeing any of my best photos .

• Like Like x 2
  14. Went to charge the batteries for Canon 5 D MK II gripped .
    hadn't used my camera for a year ..

Both batteries wouldn't charge .
    I read reviews that the OEM Canon batteries being sold by amazon were Chinese knock off's .

I ordered in two new Canon batteries from B & H Photo out of NYC .
    They were actually cheaper from B&H photo then buying from amazon .

Charging the new batteries now .
    I look forward to taking some photos in the next few days

• Like Like x 2
  15. Yep gotta play it smart, I'd rather pay top dollar for a manufacturers cell than take a chance on generic ones. I was looking for a spare cell when i got the Nikon and came across some with outrageous mAh and doggy writing on them.

Look forward to your latest pics:)...

• Like Like x 2
  16. I Fully agree with what said
    Buying Canon OEM batteries ..........................
    Knock off OEM camera batteries
    I read the amazon customer reviews for factory Canon batteries , several customers said the Canon brand name batteries were junk .
    The customers said they didnt think were made by canon
    The batteries wouldn't charge up and wouldn't hold a charge and the Amazon seller wouldn't warranty the batteries they sell .

I really didn't know where i could get genuine Canon batteries online except from a few well known Camera stores like B&H photo .
    I figured buying B&H photo was the safest place to buy from and B&H photo was cheaper then Amazon which surprised me .
    Were I live its a 350 mile drive round trip to the closet camera store .
    Anymore people selling fake or knock off BRAND name products on line seems expectable.
    I guess I am still stuck back in the day were i expect the seller to be honest .

Anyway didn't want to deal with getting a knock off batteries .
    As you said its not worth it .

I look forward into getting back into photography .
    Bad part is just made unplanned trip through Nevada ,Utah Colorado, New Mexico ,Arizona , and didn't take one photo .
    But if i did it would of been the 6 cop cars that pulled me over in Utah and searched my car for hour looking for drugs.
    They found my weed ,, i had 5 or 6 joints a vape pen and like large one hitter glass pipe .

I didn't know medical MJ was legal in Utah now so when dealing with the cops i didn't want say anything .
    When they found my weed its then i said have medical MJ card .

I could tell the cops was disappointed, yep they going for some kind of ticket on me ..

I was pulled over because the cop said i was weaving in my lane .
    I haven't been pulled over for 18 years , and i wasn't stoned when i was driving ..

• Like Like x 1
  17. #38 gumbygrow, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Great flight shots gumby, especially the Owl he's definitely looking at ya mate:)...

• Like Like x 3
  19. Thanks man

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1