Learning Photography

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Headhunterpipes, Dec 30, 2020.

1. I really don't know what title this thread should be called .
    I would like to keep the topic on the technic you take your photos ,, your photography equipment .
    And some of the aw shits ,, that you shouldn't do.
    And your photography experience .

If everyone used the same camera and the same settings with the same light everyone's photo would look the same.
    Its some what like there is allot of different ways to grow weed ,, same goes in photography .

I got into photography because I use to sale custom made pool cues around the world ..
    Problem with photographing custom pool cues is the glass like finish and selling point is figure or the wood grain is a big part of the selling point ..
    Pool cues are highly reflective ,, depending on where your light source is and the cue and camera you always have the angle of reflection .
    In my case the Electro magnetic polarized radiation want's to white out or reflect light or parts of the cue would looked glared out.

I have experience using a light tent and a strobe photographing pool cues ,, custom pot pipes and what i call custom billiard cue tip pocket chalk holders .
    I will share some of my work and my set ups to do product/commercial photography .
    I have issues with photo bucket ,, they cropped my photos and darkened them too.
    I didn't think about that when I made this thread .
    All these photos are taken with a Canon 5DII using a TSE 17mm L lens using a Alien Bee 1500 or 1600
    Strobe

[​IMG]

You can see the line of reflection in this photo
    [​IMG]
    I use a photography technic call cross polarization
    [​IMG]

Cross polarization set up '
    [​IMG]

Inside my 5ft by 5 ft light tent
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If your into photography then hey its your thread ,,

• Like Like x 4
  2. I love taking snaps. I had a great Canon Sure Shot but it finally bit the dust from one too many drops. I now have a Canon EOS but I haven't used it in years. Just pulled it out today to charge up the batteries.

Normally I just shoot photos from my iphone. But like I said, I pulled my Canon out today because I think it's time to push my skills and learn more about photography.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Cool What lenses do you normally use ?
    I have been looking to buy a EF 100 MM canon macro lens ..
    I would like set up a MJ plant in budding and photograph the buds .
    Will be awhile because i just now starting another crop .

Some of my favorite lens are my TSE 17 mm L .
    I have a EF 85 mm 1.8
    And my EF 100 to 400 mm L

Shot with a TSE 17mm L lens
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TSE 24mm L lens
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sorry, I'm not at the stage where I am buying lenses. Just the one it came with. Maybe someone will add to this post that loves and geeks out over camera equipment. Sorry for the boring response.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Land scape photography is one of my favorite hobbies .
    I have one hard core rule ,,,,, is there must be clouds in the sky .
    Depending on how far away I am dictates what lens I use ... normally i am very fond of my TSE 17mm L lens ..
    Here is a description of the TSE 17mm L

Canon TS-E 17mm F/4L: Tilt And Shift Excellence (lumoid.com)

• Like Like x 1
  6. My daughter inherited commandeered my camera bag(s).
    When I was younger I carried a Kodak pocket instamatic 126 everywhere. I thought it was the koolest thing since sliced bread. Eventually I ended up with a 35mm. My last film camera was the Canon Rebel. I loved it. That's where I got bit by the shutter bug. I was having fun with the learning curve of the SLR. Realizing how much control I actually have "in the camera". I came from an artistic background of pencil drawing and oil painting. And tattooing when I was down. Photography was another extension of art expression. Then the move up when the digital Rebel came out had a very friendly transition. Everyone around me wanted me (for some reason) to get into video. I started my photography/video event side business with a Sony Handicam and a middle of the road Olympus digital camera. My first job (small wedding) payed for computer upgrades I'd need to make this work. Eventually I upgraded to the digital Rebel, and the Canon xl1s. Then had to accessorize with all the extra long batteries, wireless mics, lens filters, editing software, and it just never stops.
    There's nothing like getting it right in the camera, but with event photography you seldom get the opportunity to set up the lighting, etc. just perfect, so I had to learn Photoshop. It became a dear friend.
    I had a lot of fun with it, and pissed away all the profits back into the hobby. My daughter became my assistant and would use my older equipment for B camera work. Now that's all behind me and she took it and ran with it. She has since upgraded a lot of equipment. All that sorta petered out when she had to get serious about college. She wants to be an oral surgeon. I don't know why? Just like I don't know why I'm making you read all this. Happy New Year.

• Like Like x 3
  7. #7 Digger, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Hey mate i didn't forget about this thread, I'm only an enthusiast with the camera but i did take photography back at Technical School a really long time ago so the film n' negative days.

I just have an entry level D5600 with the two kit lenses 18-55mm + 70-300mm & macro lens is a DX Micro 40mm.

I did have something saved for a 200-500mm super telephoto lens but i just spent it on some new fishing gear, so that's on a back burner for now.

Camera's usually on either Apature or Shutter priority depending on what im photographing, i only use Manual for indoors stuff where the conditions dont change.

Work this out first as it is key,
    8cce030d6de679054aafccec9edadfd3.png

Wildlife, Flowers & Mushrooms for me;)...

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. I'm subbed in. Canon shooter here. 90 percent of the time I'm shooting with my 24-70 f2.8

I started posting some photos to the Photos I've Taken thread.

☮️

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. I shoot a 7d, waiting for the 1dx to come down a bit more before upgrading. I shoot 99% outdoors in natural light. I shoot all manual exposure with autofocus in ai servo. Primarily birds and wildlife. I have a Canon ef-s 17-55mm f2.8, a Canon ef-s 55-250mm STM, and a Sigma 150-600mm contemporary. I have some more examples in photos you've taken thread.
    Chipmunk with a huckleberry. View attachment 2882688

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. You forgot the Mushrooms:), great fun lying in Wombat shit. Lol...
    IMG_20210109_200234.jpg
    IMG_20210109_200439.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. How do you like the 150-600. Been looking at that lens. Nice photo.

• Like Like x 1
  12. #12 gumbygrow, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Thank you, I really like the 150-600mm.
    The OS is not the greatest at least compared to the big canon teles. IQ is excellent and bokeh is fantastic as well.
    It needs quite a bit of light on a crop body but for the price it is an excellent lens.

Edit: I believe chipmunk photo was taken with the ef-s 55-250mm STM, imo the best value for a medium telephoto for canon crop bodies out there. This was taken with 150-600mm.
    Northern Harrier
    View attachment 2882853

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Very nice:thumbsup:. What was in the background, sand or dry vegetation?

Just with the kit 70-300mm lens, even though its a nice sharp shot i got the negative space wrong, it should be in front of his/her beak.
    IMG_20210110_080741.jpg

The Swan was against the sun so exposure compensation was used to bring out the shadow.
    IMG_20210110_081010.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Thank you, it was a dry grass hillside in background.

Nice shots, the in flight could be cropped a little in post to get the framing you want.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Yep could have but only as a last resort for me if the framing is off, im not really into cropping my pictures.

But my excuse with the flying duck is, im story telling where the Duck has come from & not where it's going;). Lol...

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. There is a lot of cool stuff you can do with a macro lens. The 100mm canon is a great choice. The depth of field gets razor thin shooting very close subjects so focus stacking really helps. The pool cues you make and photograph might be a good cantidate for focus stacking as well. They look like a very tricky subject. I will be getting another dedicated macro lens soon, they are awesome for checking. trichromes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Amazing fucking work. You're all seriously skilled and I'm so happy that we have a more technical photography thread. I currently mainly shoot with my Fuji x100f and a Canon 80d for video. I also do a lot of film (Pentax k1000 and Minolta x500) but we don't have any photo labs in my country so all my films are just sitting there waiting to get developed.

For the 80d I use the kit lens 18-135, A sigma 35mm 1.4, and a canon 50mm 1.4.
    For maco photography I took the cheap way out and bought extension tubes, I honestly can't recommend them enough, they absolutely do the job and I can't think of any considerable disadvantages if you're shooting in a controlled environment on a tripod.

Other recommendations would be Aputure mc lights, Peek design straps, Manfrotto befree tripods and DJI ronin s. I know they're all very "hyped" products but they're honestly worth it and they're the cheapest of the best.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Nothing technical here just the 18-55mm kit lens, but all composed:).
    IMG_20210114_193803.jpg IMG_20210114_193847.jpg IMG_20210114_193747.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. #20 Headhunterpipes, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Photographing buildings ,,, Straight up nothing compares to a Tilt shift lens .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a TSE 24 mm L mk 1 lens i want to get rid off with a new EF-S 10 22 mm and a EF 70 to 210 mm is a Really a great lens for a under a 100.00 lens . its a older lens

• Like Like x 2