Kamel's CFL Guide

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by KamelRedLight, Nov 8, 2006.

1. I have found that the best way to use CFL bulbs is to buy a 10 inch clamp light with a ceramic socket and the parabolic reflector attached to it ( the one that has the ring at the top of it so you can hang it ) take the clamp off of it and screw an extension socket into it, then attach a Y splitter to that and another Y splitter on each side of that, so you will end up with a 4 bulb lamp. Depending on how big your bulbs are, you can end up with a 300 watt lamp hanging over your plant using this method. I use 2 of these in a 3x3 tent. I veg with eight 6500k spectrum bulbs and then switch the bulbs out with 2700k spectrum bulbs and flower with over 600 watts. I also use the leftover clamps that came with the lights to hang separate sockets from the top frame of the tent vertically down around and in between the two big lamps for side lighting. I also use Y splitters on those.This way the entire plant gets light from top to bottom. You can get around 700 watts or better this way, as long as you can control the temperature with a good exhaust fan. If you follow this method you will end with dense HPS quality flowers. approx. 3-4 ounces per plant. I have always used CFL bulbs and have tried a lot of different ways to arrange them and this is the only way that I find practical. The overlapping from the side lighting really increases the lumens. And also you can use a chain to raise or lower the big lamps. The good part about this system is that you can adjust the lighting just perfectly around the plant as it grows. I only recommend this method when growing 1 or 2 plants. If you are planning on growing more than that, you may as well buy an HPS, but still use the CFL's for side lighting. I hope this info can help someone who is struggling to find the perfect balance when using CFL bulbs. Just be careful your lights are hung securely and do not overload your electrical outlet. Good luck and happy growing.

2. nice post. i started my ladies with cfl's 6500k, then figured out the same thing with the splitters. it works great! my problem was i am now growing 22 plants.lol and they dont do it anymore. i got a 4ft t5 w/6500k for my veggers, and a 600 watt hps for flower. BUT, i am putting those cfl's to work on sides and underneath growth in flower. there is def. a difference. i think cfl's are our friends!:):)

3. I have been seriously considering getting an HPS also. The problem with the CFL's is that they are not making them anymore, all the supermarkets, Home Depots etc. are stocking the new LED screw in type bulbs. So when the CfL bulbs that I do have burn out, I won't be able to replace them. Thankfully I do have quite a few, but I will use them for side and under lighting the plants. It is about time that I invested in a good flowering light, as I just bought a nice new Can Fan, I may as well upgrade the rest of the tent. Thanks for the post, and good luck with your grow.

4. I did just order some big 65 watt ( 300 equivalent ) 6500k CFL's just to have, because they really do a nice job for vegging.

5. Awesome post Kamel!! Thanks man

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hey there!

Got a Blueberry fem, indoor CFL grow at day 58, I switched to 12/12 just over a week ago.
    Has anyone got any ideas on when this will be ready to harvest I would love to know! If you need anymore info please ask. Iv attached some pics!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. I just wanted to say thank you for providing this really helpful guide on cfls. There were many things in this guide that I wasn't sure about when I tried growing with cfls. I had tried a couple times before and had bad luck. After reading this guide I had very good luck. The distance from the cfls has always had me frustrated and when I used LSt this last time and filled the tent with cfls to cover the aura and inside the plant it really made a difference. Thanks for the guide. Rep+

8. Team CFL all day might switch to leds in the future but right now its all cfl’s

And its been working great ever since ive been able to regulate the temp/humidity in the space..

Cfl work great!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. I also veg and flower with one of the omega 200w 9u duel specspec and a lumi maxi reflector and I've had a fantastic results so far this is my fat banana by R.Q.S . In my opinion CFL are so underrated

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. 1st 3 weeks under 2 150w 7900 lumes 5000k / 4000 s would be better. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. here is my set up. I have 2 6500k daylight bulbs per plant. What do you think? Thanks for the article

Attached Files:

13. Since not every person has a major space to fill in and when space and hotness are web designs, HID's become less useful as you are confronted with either fixing a cooling framework which could include cutting openings in dividers, ducting, and more power utilization, and obviously more $$$.