Its hopeless for Virginia on decriminalization, let alone legalization.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by putinfanboy96, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Maryland hasn't made it fully legal yet. Which I find hard to believe. Virginia won't do it before Maryland. So were in for a long wait.

• Like Like x 1
  2. #22 Skyjester, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    "the Courts of Justice"

As opposed to what, the Courts of Injustice?

I think it's just Virginia's version of a state House judiciary committee. All states put proposed legislation through a judicial committee to make sure its passage won't violate or infringe on existing law.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I didnt name the committee. That's just their name. I'm with ya. Stupid name. But Its a group of 8 people who it must go to first before it goes to the House to be voted on. These 8 or 9 people are responsible for why VA hasnt gone anywhere with cannabis legislation. Our governor supports it. Our AG supports it. Close to a majority in the House do. And the population does. The courts of justice committee alone does not.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #24 Skyjester, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    From what I've read it's 15 people, currently 9 R's and 6 D's. In an ideal world judiciary committees would be politically unbiased, but none are. If they choose to do so, all they need to do is point to current federal cannabis law to nix any attempt at decriminalization and/or legalization in a state. Fortunately mine and a whole bunch of others have finally told the feds to either correct our federal law or face wholesale popular ignorance of it. Between decriminalization and legalization it's already the case in 38 states and trending toward it in the remaining 12.

Also VA has a substantial and very longstanding tobacco lobby, I'm sure state reps are heavily lobbied to repress cannabis legalization. Same problem states like AL and KY, TN etc have with our country's liquor lobby.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I agree with your sentiments, but our VA lawmakers try harder and more actively than many others as well for cannabis reform. Adam Ebbin especially has introduced decrim and legalization measures every year. Here is a table with the amount of cannabis bills introduced in the year 2018 alone.

2018 Was A Major Year For Cannabis Legislation And 2019 Is Shaping Up To Be Much Bigger

Not only does virginia make the list, but notice how most other states on the table have legalized it or are close to it. Anyways. The fact is that VA legislators have been actively fighting for it and putting bills out consistently more than, say, your states that have no hope like the Southern Bible Belt states.

Surely you cant be so pessimistic to think VA will be the last when, 1) Within our state, D.C. has legalized without store fronts 2) Our Governor supports it (while in the more opposing states, the governors do not) as well as our AG. 3) A majority in the House support it. 4) We have actively fought for this issue for years on end, whereas some states are just now starting that fight and talking about it. 5) another user mentioned we wont until Maryland does, well Maryland will have it on the ballot 2020 likely for full legalization.

VA is not as hopeless as some other states. While they will not be one of the first (kinda late to be considered one of the first now), they will, in my opinion, end up somewhere in the middle but not the tail end.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. #26 Skyjester, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Agreed on all points, and long-term I'm not pessimistic about VA, any other state or our federal law. Everyone except Jeff Sessions and a handful of others agrees it needs correction. Historically VA follows the money better than many states, and money will fix our problems with current federal cannabis law. I think cannabis will eventually replace alcohol as the preferred recreational drug in our country, and others. It's not physically addictive, hangovers aren't as big a problem, and most importantly, the upper ends of intoxication for cannabis are MUCH more manageable for law enforcement compared to alcohol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I am right there with ya. I've been thinking the same myself. Also, a big point too, you dont do regrettable things while high. In other words, nothing you wouldnt do sober would you do high. You dont wake up the next night with a tattoo you got last night from being too high. But ya do from being too drunk! No hangovers as you said, puking is far less likely, you don't do regrettable actions, even your mobility functions are more normal high, as well as the fact your vision is not really changed unlike with alcohol where it totally affects your vision. Driving high really is not that bad unless you are totally stoned out of your mind. Because you dont have the same impairments high as you do drunk.

8. From the article:

"For now, only certain products like oils, tinctures pills, lotions and creams containing CBD and THC will be available, but not any edibles or even “flower,” which is the actual green buds you get straight off the plant."

I wonder how many people in Virginia didn't know that last part. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah they’re laws been that way for a while down there, favoring thc-a and other stuff

10. Still seems a massive step in my opinion kinda tho no? Like allowing it to be public for all to see? But maybe not. maybe it would be just like a doctors office. Va . Yeah it probably be like a doctors office.

11. Well these states in the south are run by ass backwards racist wasps. The fact of the matter is that drug prohibition is unconstitutional and illegal. Alcohol prohibition was both enforced and repealed using constitutional amendments. However none were used for drug prohibition because it would be illegal and unconstitutional to do so. The main mechanism of drug prohibition the government clings to as constitutionally substantiative is the commerce clause which is ridiculous. But the real reason the war on drugs is illegal is found within the roe v wade decision.
    Roe v wade hinges upon the 9th amendment interpreted definitions of bodily autonomy and privacy. Even as a corpse one has more rights than as a living human being. If you don’t consent to donating your organs then despite the fact you could save lives by doing so which is better for the greater good your organs can not be harvested. Which is just beyond absurd.
    We continue drug prohibition because it’s good for the prison and police industries. It allows cops to perpetuate racism and discriminate illegally. Why are poor people who are overwhelmingly minorities being shot in cold blood with no repercussions faced by perpetrating officers? Because the war on drugs grants police systemic impunity to violate the rights of civilians and it incubates a culture of violent racism that has origins within the eugenics movement, the klu klux klan and nazi Germany. Which actually looked a lot like modern America is turning out at the moment. And if you look in history you’ll see some of the most prominent names in modern politics we’re tied to nazi banks and funded hitler in WWII providing arms vehicles and petroleum. Names like Rockefeller DuPont and most notably the bushes.

Ultimately the wealthy elite are commoditizing human suffering. We are all commodities to be disposed of and to profit off the abject conditions created and incubated by the levels of poverty society is allowed to exhibit when we live in a time when it would be beyond possible to make poverty a complete impossibility. But poverty and human suffering are good for business.
    Look at heroin for example. It is far less harmful or toxic than alcohol or tobacco in its pure form. But prohibition creates an untenable environment inflating the value of such a plant based medicinal commodity. A gram of heroine should cost no more than 20 -50 bucks but if you buy a gram son the black market you’ll be lucky if it contains more than 25% diacetylmorphine usually less than 10% making the heroins value over $1000 because a gram of heroin usually costs 70-150. They’ve showed that harm reduction is the only way to remediate the war on drugs harmful effects. Even the world health organization stated that drug use needs to be decriminalized to remove discriminatory attitudes from health care settings. But the rich will not let their gravy train that imposes public complacency, stupidity and docility regardless of the social realities regarding human rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Could not agree more.

13. It’s actually Ku Klux Klan
    Not that I give af about them
    I’d just hate for u to be on a rant and someone be like he don’t even know how to pronounce what he’s talking about duurr, u no how ppl are, cuz all ur points were valid af good sir lol

14. Well I know this is an old post but look how far we have come! VA is decriminalizing weed starting July 1st. Basically if you're caught with anything under an oz its just a small civil penalty. No jail time and it won't go on your criminal record. It's not legalizing it but its a HUGE step in that direction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. It's awesome to see myself looking back predicting this happening and saying how likely this was to happen, despite the naysayers! I simply felt all the puzzles were there, except this one small group of people blocking it from happening, and once they finally shifted in 2020, it finally became reality as I had hoped. Crazy it happened so soon, and truth be told I was hoping we would skip the whole Decrim step to get straight to Legalization. But at least we got somethin, and we won't be locked up for possessing anymore... that's nice. But now there's no legal outlet to obtain...so hopefully that is addressed next year in 2021!

• Like Like x 1
  16. "If you don’t consent to donating your organs then despite the fact you could save lives by doing so which is better for the greater good your organs can not be harvested. Which is just beyond absurd."

It's the law. If you wish to consent to donate your organs you can take the time to do it. But you cannot legally consent somebody to anything and make them opt out. At least from a government standpoint in this situation.

The reason is if I do not want to donate my organs, which I do not since a doctor whom abused me enough in this life has to touch me to do it, I would now have to take the time and energy to opt out of something they had no legal right to do with my body in the first place. Or in other words if you want to opt in you can and you do not waste or abuse anyone's time but your own. The other way you do, or would.

As for the rest you do not need to know all that legal stuff. Just know laws can be used for crimes thus can be legal or illegal. This is based on the reason. If it is lies, hypocrisy, no reason, etc, it is instantly crimes against humanity and where they are using an illegal arbitrary law to conspire in arbitrary human rights violations against their citizens. Just like the past.

Always ask for the reason, or see if anything is left off, not explained, etc.. because if it is then it is invalid and they go to jail because there is no way it can happen unintentionally. Thus crimes against humanity. Ask the Nazis, slave traders, etc.

And remember the lawyers will be throwing the court cases and would never accept crimes against humanity as justice if it was them... which is why none could explain what is happening as justice but instead a crime. So you will have to defend yourself, or find a lawyer that wants to admit they agreed to use an illegal justice system to pass illegal laws for illegal human rights abuses publicly and didn't say anything. And just as you will see in any systematic racism using laws until it stops.

17. hey we do have some hot ass cousins for being hillbillies, dont knock it, try it.. hehehe

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. ill try it out man.