Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Iso extraction etc

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by CheebaWeeba, Jan 22, 2021.

1. My brother attempted to make...I dunno...is it oil? with some of his collected scrap material.
    Small buds. Leaf. Tiny Stems. Grinder powder etc.

He ended up with something that looks kind of like...honey, I guess?

Though he got hardly any.
    Says he used about an ounce...though later says he didn't grind it up...

He used some isopropyl alcohol we can get here called "Diggers".
    Not sure of the percentage but the info reads like this:
    Specific Gravity: 0.78–0.79
    Flash Point 12 degrees (celcius)
    Boiling Point 82–83 degrees (celcius)
    C Evaporation Rate 1.5
    Flammability Limit (%) 2–12
    Auto Ignition Point 425 degrees (celcius)
    ...if that means anything to anyone.

Anyhows...not entirely sure of the process he used, but he ended up getting like...what looks like about a half a gram from about an ounce.
    Now, I'm pretty sure that I've read before it being commonplace to get anywhere between 4-6 per ounce?
    Could be wrong there, it was a while back that I last looked into it.
    Just yeah, what he got...looks like barely anything.

Anyhow...just after some advice to pass along.

What do you think the reason behind his minimal yield was?

What's a fairly simple was to do this process successfully? Any tips?

Thanks.

2. Pure speculation on my part, but suspect yield would be better with oz of flower vs oz of odds and ends.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The low yield is almost certainly due to poor potency herb.
    GIGO definitely applies to edibles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hm. Could be...though I think not grinding it up probably hurt him a bit too.

So what's the most idiot proof method on this anyhow? Maybe I can pass it along.

5. Not grinding probably didn't make a difference. ISO is a very good solvent, too good in many cases because it extracts desirable and undesirable things with ease.

The trick is to get it all out to be safe to use. If you don't get 100% of ISO out of the concentrate its not safe to consume. IMO that should be your concern.

• Agree Agree x 1

6. How does one know?

• Like Like x 1
  7. The best way to know is testing.

Most people probably don't test though. If you taste a tiny amount and it burns in your mouth it probably isn't good.

Being careful to make sure all the bubbling stops when cooking it down is a good sign, but winterizing with ethanol is probably the best for homemade iso oils.

After you have your oil made, winterizing is to dilute that oil in ethanol. Mix it well under a gentle heat then freeze for at least two days, then cold filter with an unbleached coffee filter and render that down again.

Winterizing removes plants waxes and any moisture. Iso can hide in plant wax so when you remove the wax, your probably safe or at least safer.