ISO-3 The Quartermaster -- Alchemy Class

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by PsychedelicSam, Apr 6, 2017.

1. No problem
    Would not want my perfect score to get spoiled LOL
    I thought the pic might have been a bad idea after posting trying to add a little humor in the Lab.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I don't use any of the other buttons and refuse to give any negative input so if you see that from me again just let me know. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. I'm glad I don't see em. I see I was given a negative. Whatever. Just like I said it does nothing but feed negativity.

sent via my pet rock

• Like Like x 2
  4. I was hoping to be walking better and get the sugar trim started to make the Oil
    What setting should I use when I do start it
    Leave light where it is for now as well as the o-ring in collection canister?

• Like Like x 1
  5. The same thing has happened to me, too, on a post that had nothing to "dislike" and I'm sure it was accidental and happened right after the change. I don't know the person well enough to mention it so I'll just keep it. I'm sure they have some new ratings around somewhere that it will impact but I don't care. I think my posts can stand on their on feet without needing props. :ey:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. The factory setting should work well for you but if you've already moved the bulb then you'll have to approximate it. About a half inch below the o-ring is where mine was set. When you check it the first time use your IR to check the temperature of the alcohol. Mine was running about 140°F.

Do you understand about letting the alcohol absorb into your material and the amount of alcohol in the bottom of your processing vessel? :huh:

• Like Like x 1
  7. I believe so
    Just not sure on how much to add to soak the herb
    The amount in vessel is easy
    Is there a formula to know just how much to soak the material with
    Say 2 oz worth of trim no buds?

• Like Like x 2
  8. I watched your video
    But was not sure how you came up with ml needed to pre soak (wet) herb once in filter

• Like Like x 1
  9. It's on page 11 of the manual. For the first time they suggest initially starting with 0.5ml per gram of material. If you have 60 grams then that would be 30ml of alcohol. I don't know why they do this since 30ml isn't going to come close to wetting more than a small amount. It could be to get a light absorption before adding the bulk of the alcohol so that none runs straight through. This is done before the center piece of filter is added on top of the material.

After you've used that initial amount of alcohol you will then slowly add more alcohol over the material in 100ml increments. Set your extraction basket loaded with your material in the stainless steel evaporation bowl before you start adding the alcohol. After the initial soaking you'll add 100ml at a time over the top of the material until you see liquid coming out of the bottom of the basket, not a lot but just as it starts dripping. My ounce took just over 200ml before starting to drip through.

Stop pouring the alcohol over the material at that point. Now you add enough alcohol to the bottom of the processing vessel to a depth of 0.5 - 1 inch. No more because it will be too close to the basket for optimal soxhlet activity. Then you're ready to extract.

There's pages for a log in the back of the manual so I suggest that you keep track of what you're doing for future reference, like taking notes but better. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Great I have been book marking the advise you give too

• Like Like x 1
  11. That's good but use the log to keep track of your actual results by just filling in the blanks.

You may want to use the wash out bottle to moisten your material. It will just use a small stream that you can spread easily instead of trying to pour it steadily out of the bottle. And get in the habit of adding the alcohol to the vessel before placing it on the base. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Just spit balling, but what about using one of the non-perforated containers to saturate prior to transferring to the extraction basket. Then add additional alcohol until you reach the 1/2" - 1" below. Absorption amount should vary based on the material density. Especially if using whole bud.

• Like Like x 2
  13. That's always an option but you could possibly lose some of your alcohol with the double handling. It would ensure that you got full absorption but you'd still have to do the same process of having the alcohol drip through the holes. At that point if you had excess it could go in the vessel as part of the additional 1/2-1 inch in the bottom. As you say, the absorption will depend on the material which is why 100ml increments is used. The volume of extraction, though, will only be that of the original volume in the bottom of the vessel and not what's was used for absorption.

In my first extraction I used close to 250ml in the material and a half inch in the bottom which was 115ml and that's the amount of extraction that I got. The most liquid that you'll get back per batch is limited to that 0.5-1 inch that you started with except that it will be chock full of cannabis compounds. :mellow:

• Like Like x 4
  14. 24\7 constantly but they get worse n way worse if I push it. But yeah no nerve blocks, meds and overdoing it it gets bad quick. Hoping sumtin sells didn't know id have a copay and have to do MRIs for new ins which all equals hundreds I didn't plan on. Which has seemed to happen Everytime I turn around for the last six - eight months making my tired self very tired !!

• Like Like x 4
  15. So, I've finished the modification on the machine screws in the base used to clip the springs and it works pretty well. An extra half inch screw would have been a little better but the 6/32 x 2" is good enough for now.

base screws1.jpg
    There wasn't much to it. I removed the inside nut and washers first then the locked nut/washer combination on the outside configuration and transferred them to the new screw at the same spot as the original, leaving enough room for the springs. Then I placed it through the hole and tightened everything up, along with attaching the ground wire to one of them.

base screws2.jpg
    This is the placement of the o-ring with the stabilizing screws in place. It's very close to the factory setting as I recall it now but that got moved around in later phases. There was no line or marking showing the proper depth so my recollection of the ring height got lost in the shuffle. These extended screws will keep that consistent now.

base screws3.jpg
    And there it is. No different than before except for better stabilization and temperature consistency. Always level it and use the o-ring for adjustment. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. I just started the reclaim process with my first batch. I didn't think to check the temp of the tincture when I opened it and I wish I had as that would be good info. I measured out the tincture to be 220ml
    I must say I have never seen a tincture so green - I mean it's like fluorescent green!

• Like Like x 4
  17. Was that trim, the 2 year old stuff? Did you decide to decarb or no? This is part of the process where you would adjust your heat if trying to preserve terpenes in an inactive extract. It's a slow process. When you reclaim the alcohol from the material you'll need to place the bulb closer to increase the heat but there won't be anything temperature sensitive left. It also takes the extra heat to drive the alcohol from the depleted material.

I think it would be a good idea to sample the tincture coming right out of the extraction for research purposes. :ey:

• Like Like x 3

18. Research and testing go hand in hand

• Like Like x 5
  19. this was from last season... strawberry ice I did decarb the recommended time
    I didn't move the bulb yet - thought I might let it run overnight just to see what is recovered

and you are right about sampling it (for research purposes only)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Well, then, don't push it. I wish you the best working through all that. I can definitely relate. :(

• Like Like x 4