Is everclear safe for winterizing without a vacuum purge?

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Bobbybouche, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Hey guys I know this has been talked about some but after browsing old Posts I couldn't find a definitive answer.

I want to winterize a small batch of rosin but I don't have a vacuum chamber. I've been told that it's fine to just do a heat purge with ethanol but I've also heard concerns about possible pesticides from the corn being concentrated in the alcohol.
    I feel this could be the sort of thing that isn't all that bad when just drinking everclear, however I'm concerned about concentrating that everclear into an oil that I plan on vaporizing.

What are your thoughts on this? Is everclear okay to inhale in small amounts and if not is the 200 proof lab stuff really any different?

Thanks for your time Guys I appreciate any feedback!

2. Your seeing ghosts and goblins where there are none.
    2 things in Everclear. Alcohol and water.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Inhaling vaporized alcohol will only get you very drunk very fast. No real harmful effects.
    We dripped 190 proof hash tincture in open coil RDA vape devices at 40 watts. :) no harm no foul.
    You talking fully reduced RSO and the possible remaining alcohol is nothing. It'll just be water if anything is left.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for the response brass, I wasn't expecting any responses from any members I recognize but I respect and value your opinion considering how much work you have done with everclear...so that makes me feel better.

I just have to ask though, what do you think happens to the pesticides in corn when everclear is made?

Thanks again for your time!

5. Left behind in the mash as Alcohol is the first thing out of the mash when distilling would be my first guess. Booze in general has to meet fairly high standards of purity and I wouldn't be concerned about it. I make RSO 3 or 4 times a year with about 2 gallons of 190 proof that I reclaim over and over with a pot still.

You likely get a higher pesticide exposure eating cornflakes for breakfast.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  6. I see what you're saying and your probably right but I do want to point out how much worse things can be in your lungs than on your digestive tract. I'm only thinking about this because it's for an extract I intend to vape, I wouldn't think twice about consuming a bunch of RSO that was made with EC.

7. No, Bobby, the alcohol is distilled. Any pesticides would have to be added to the alcohol after the fact and they definitely don't do that. During distillation any impurities would be left behind in the waste. Water and methanol would be the only thing to be concerned with if it's DIY but Everclear won't have anything for you to worry about.

Go ahead and enjoy your rosin. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks Sam! That definitely makes sense. How have you been? Working on any new projects lol?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hanging in there. Got a couple things in the fire. :)