Indoor & Outdoor Personal Grow in Seattle

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by baconman1945, May 23, 2017.

1. Getting the first rain in 56 days tonight and tomorrow...gotta be a record for Seattle. I was a little concerned about bud rot on the Auto White Widow so I put together some temporary cover.
    IMG_2565.JPG
    I assembled the frame of a 4'x4' tent that I'm not using with only one level of the side pieces, and I threw a 9'x12' drop cloth over it. I tucked the dropcloth in, leaving two sides partially untucked to allow wind to move through it, and I left one of the top corners un-done so water has a low point to run off. It's supposed to stop by Monday morning so this is just temporary.

The plant looks good, but she's still got some time left. Day 82 today. The picture is from yesterday.
    IMG_2558.JPG

The indoor girls look good. Day 16 of flower today. I trimmed pretty heavily underneath on day 13, and I trimmed up a little more this morning. Not sure if most people in Organics trim as much as I do so if someone has an argument not to, I'd be curious to hear it. The pictures are from day 13.
    IMG_2556.JPG IMG_2557.JPG
    Things are going well so I'm just trying to LITFA.

2. The Y Griega CBDs are looking pretty rough, and I'm pretty frustrated by it. It's been difficult for me to get in the tent for the last few days because my away-from-home schedule has changed for the last two weeks so the most recent pictures I have are from Monday, but here they are:
    IMG_2581.JPG
    New growth:
    IMG_2582.JPG IMG_2583.JPG IMG_2584.JPG
    Lower growth:
    IMG_2585.JPG

The discoloration is MUCH more apparent under red lighting. It started sometime last week, and I've tried to diagnose it without success. I feel like it's probably because of the top dressing that I gave (excess of something is locking out something else), but I'm not sure.

Any help is appreciated.

In other news, the auto white widow made it through the rain without getting wet. We're back to dry weather for the foreseeable future. She looks like she's got at least another week left, if not more.

This is my fourth auto that I've grown, and all of them have been Dutch Passion genetics. I just saw a nanner on the main cola so that makes 4 for 4 that have popped nanners. I've read that early flower nanners mean that the plant was stressed, and that late flower nanners are likely caused by genetics so I definitely feel like I wasted dollars.

3. It's not supposed to be purple tips right? That is a phosphorus toxicity (I think) or a lockout of a sort.. your I'm flowering so they need more PK so maybe it's something along those lines of something you used... I'd do a real nice flush since the discoloration is thick and strong and then redress but cautiously.. what do I know tho

4. Hey AZ, no, the tips should still be that lush green that we all strive for.

I agree that it's a nutrient toxicity causing a deficiency, and I think that the plant is pulling from the lower, older growth to get what it needs at the tops.

I appreciate the suggestion, but flushing works in grows where bottled nutrients are used because those nutrients contain a lot of salt. Flushing pushes that crap out so you can essentially start from scratch. In a grow like mine, all of my nutrients come from organic matter that I've added to the soil, sprinkled on top of the soil, or drenched the soil in, in the case of teas. Flushing won't push any of that out.

Truthfully, I'm not sure what I can do so I did some searching around the Organics forum for suggestions, and after not finding much (or at least the right threads), I made a separate post. A few people have dropped by to ask questions, but I may just have to wait it out...more waiting.

5. Damn that sounds stressful

6. AZ, growing organic like this really isn't supposed to be and isn't actually stressful for most people. I guess I just couldn't stop messing with the plants so I caused the problems. LITFA seems like the best way to grow organic lol.

7. Journal update!

Day 23 Flower - Y Griega CBD
    The girls are still obviously experiencing some nutrient issues, but I think that the rate at which the issues are developing is decreasing or has stopped. I wasn't able to poke my head in on them because of the light schedule for a few days, but it doesn't look like it's advanced much further since the beginning of the week. Some of the new sugar leaves show slight signs of issues, but not most.
    IMG_2607.JPG IMG_2600.JPG
    #1 (experiencing the nutrient issues more than #2):
    IMG_2602.JPG IMG_2603.JPG IMG_2604.JPG IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2596.JPG
    #2:
    IMG_2605.JPG IMG_2606.JPG

I watered with aloe today. I'll probably just keep letting them do their thing and hope to not see signs of the issues getting worse.

Day 89 - AutoWhite Widow
    She's getting heavy into the fade! The colas never bulked up like I would've hoped, but judging by the pistils, she's getting near the end. I'll check trichomes a little later or tomorrow.
    IMG_2608.JPG IMG_2613.JPG IMG_2612.JPG IMG_2611.JPG IMG_2609.JPG

I've pulled the one nanner off of the main top. I haven't scoured the plant for more, but I happened to notice another one when taking these photos. Has anyone grown an auto that has not popped a nanner? Like I said in my last update, I've only grown Dutch Passion autos so maybe it's just their genetics.

In any case, this will be a neat plant to trim up and take photos of with only the buds on the branches. I like the way it grew.

8. Seems like thatsbthe best way pwriod.. add what you have to when you have to and leave it be

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Can My body tell me if this looks normal?older leaves kinda dying but the new growth is green green.. I'm in flowering

Attached Files:

10. Hey, All,

I feel bad for leaving this unfinished so here's how things ended up:
    I harvested the Y Griega CBDs on Sep 26th, Day 61, about a week earlier than I was expecting. After six days hanging in a tent and three weeks in a humidipak-controlled container, the total weight came to 4.39 ounces of good quality flower.

About four weeks before harvest:
    IMG_2688.JPG IMG_2693.JPG IMG_2691.JPG
    The day before harvest:
    IMG_2779.JPG IMG_2784.JPG
    Harvest:
    IMG_2806.JPG
    Post-trim: (weird, white tips)
    IMG_2841.JPG IMG_2839.JPG IMG_2835.JPG IMG_2830.JPG IMG_2828.JPG

Both plants struggled from my heavy-handed nature with amendments and teas and from an issue that I discovered with my watering system -a "brass" washer rusted in the bucket, contaminating the water, and some pink material developed/grew in an upper bucket that I didn't often look at. Once I discovered the issues, I immediately went back to hand-watering.

I harvested the Auto White Widow on Sep 2nd, Day 103 since coming out of the ground, over three weeks later than I expected to. I would've let her go another week or more, if we had had the weather for it. After seven days hanging in a tent and two weeks in a humidipak-controlled container, the total weight came to 2.19 ounces.

Partial trim before drying:
    IMG_2705.JPG
    Harvest:
    IMG_2713.JPG
    Post-trim:
    IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2776.JPG IMG_2767.JPG

Some of the issues that I experienced were: -The trichomes seemed to really struggle to mature. On Day 80, all trichomes were clear, and this strain is marketed as 75 days to harvest. I harvested at Day 103, with almost half clear trichomes. I know another grower in a similar climate who grew this strain from this breeder, and they experienced something similar -harvested prematurely at Day 84 for fear of bud rot.
    -By the time I chopped her down, she had already shown three nanners.
    -During trimming, I found two large flowers that suffered from bud rot.

The smoke/vape is good, and I'm happy to have gained the experience that I did from this cycle. Moving forward, I'm going to focus on one plant in a 25 gallon pot in my own soil mix. Looking forward to learning more as I go!

• Like Like x 2
  11. I dropped off a sample of the YG CBD to get tested at Analytical 360 here in Seattle to test for cannabinoid content, terpene content, and microbial content. I wanted to confirm the CBD level and get an idea of what the terpenes were like (my nose and palette are not good enough to tell too much of a difference between most flower, regardless if I smell, smoke, or vape it). I tested for microbial content just for kicks -didn't expect anything, but thought I might as well, while I'm testing the other stuff.

Results:
    Total THC: 21.14%
    Total CBD: <0.01%
    Terpene results haven't come back yet.
    Microbial test gave me an unexciting 'PASS'.

I knew that it was possible that the plants that I grew were not high CBD phenotypes, but it's still a bummer. Next time!

• Like Like x 1
  12. @baconman1945 thats excellent. Good work and way to go on quantifying your results. Botrytis sucks ass.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Thanks!! I totally agree. It was pretty disappointing, but I had a hunch that that might happen when I let the AWW go for as long as I did.

In case anyone is curious to see the certificate of analysis, here are some screenshots of the terpene profile, cannaninoid profile, and microbial analysis. IMG_3668.PNG IMG_3667.PNG IMG_3669.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  14. Congrats Bacon! That's a nice come back after being hit with the mold.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks, 3Deez!

16. I am experiencing the auto white widow extension myself Don’t know where you got your but I’m at day 95 started a flush today but unsure if to do a partial harvest. I’m in a RDWC. One plant now.. and amber tricomes only recently though and still seeing clear. But the tops are ready to come down. So I thinking I’m gonna have to partial harvest. Hope I can on an auto

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. Hey, Budminer, it's been a bit since I've thought about this grow! In the comment of mine that you quoted, I said, "I harvested the Auto White Widow on Sep 2nd, Day 103 since coming out of the ground, over three weeks later than I expected to. I would've let her go another week or more, if we had had the weather for it."

I definitely remember regretting the slow flower development and how immature most of the flowers were, and she also had spots of PM on some lower growth as well as botrytis in a small portion of the flowers. At almost 48 degrees North, I'm probably too far north to flower this strain outside, unless in a greenhouse.

Partly because of this grow and partly because of one other autoflower plant that I grew in late 2018, I don't grow autos anymore. I prefer the control that photoperiod plants provide the grower, in terms of flowering timeline and cloning.

I'd imagine that a staggered harvest would effect an auto similarly to a photoperiod plant, but I'm not speaking from experience. I generally harvest the whole plant, other than sample flowers, because I like how it slows the drying period in my environment.

Best of luck, and congrats on your upcoming harvest!