Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Increases in tolerance: Edibles vs Smoking

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by pezlet, Jun 14, 2012.

1. I've read some posts recently about edibles not actually increasing tolerance the way that they've been rumored to.
    The posts claimed using edibles 5-7 days of the week and not noticing an increase in tolerance.
    I feel like if you SMOKED that often your tolerance would go up.
    Can anyone provide real testimonies for or against the edible tolerance debate or even some more well documented testimonies for tolerance in smoking?
    Testimonies should include potency of edibles as well as how often they were consumed. Same goes for smoking.

2. Bump :( I'm impatient haha

3. I smoke about a gram of dank a day for about 5 years and my tolerance is pretty high and the only time I noticed an obvious increase in my tolerance was the days after 4/20 because I smoked a half ounce on one day and for the next week I continued smoking a G a day and just was not getting high so I went on a week T break as for edibles I have had REALLY fucking strong edibles 2 or 3 days in a row and my tolerance went up but nothing too drastic.

4. My tolerance went up significantly when I switched from smoking to vaping. It's proven that you get more thc when you vape, so technically, even though I used less bud I received more thc. Therefore, increase in tolerance.

You get about %100 of the thc with edibles, if made properly. So there is no reason why your tolerance wouldn't go up.

5. Neither of these really say anything, no offense man. If you get more thc from the herb when you vape it, but you vape the right amount less, you wouldn't be ingesting any more thc than smoking normally. I can understand that people would use more anyway, but that seems like their own fault.
    Same argument with edibles. If you get 100% of the thc with edibles, then just use .2 grams instead of a full gram and you should get just as high as you normally would, and not experience any tolerance increases.

That's the point of the thread, I feel like it has nothing to do with whether you eat it, smoke it, or vape it. Just has to do with people for GOD KNOWS WHY using a full gram of dank in their edibles.

6. My bad, I accidentally left out that when I was smoking, I only smoked once a day. When I started vaping, on average I would vape 3 times a day.

7. Yeah, I used to only eat edibles (no smoking) for about 2 months and my tolerance didn't go up that high.

8. Once a week, every day, twice a day, twice a week..? How often? That's helpful though. What'd you make, and how much did you have per dose?

9. Probably about 4 or 5 times a week. I have no idea how much was in them but I got like 6-7" loaves of bread about 3" deep. I only ate half because a whole one would get me violently high. They were the most potent edibles I'd ever had.

10. It’s a pretty old thread, I know, but I wanted to make some things clear.
    I used to smoke daily for long time. I ended up with a huge tolerance. For example - back then I could eat huge edible without feeling any effects, but after 5 weeks of t-break, 1/5th of the same edible knocked me off for hours.

I completely stopped smoking and yet I use only edibles for yet 2 years. Yet, 2 years later, I didn’t builded up any tolerance, although I am daily on edibles.

So what’s the trick?

I don’t have any scientific proof, but if I try to think logically, I came to next conclusion: just don’t abuse it!
    You can keep your tolerance low even if you smoke, but if you start to smoke much more than you actually need, your tolerance will start to build up. Just think about when you got stoned just from couple of puffs and how you builded up your way to dabbing and smoking whole joints - hanging out with friends and smoking joint after joint :p or just smoking another one while you are already wasted... non-sense. That’s how you build up your tolerance.

Back to edibles: consuming edibles is very different ritual and experience. I use capsules so the dose I am taking is the same every time - capsules are perfect for consistent dose. Because edibles take longer to hit you, once you find your dose, you know that you already had enough and even if it doesn’t start to work yet, you know it will, so you won’t consume another one. So couple of factors with edibles will make building tolerance very difficult: It takes a while until it hits you and the effects are longer and more intense. This makes the time you are medicated longer... so you won’t need another dose the next couple of hours - something you can’t say when you are out with friends and you smoke joint together. That makes it easier to take rest after the effects are done - give your time to get sober... being stoned 24/7 is not a good idea if you really want to feel the effects. Not getting sober won’t let you feel the full effects.

Short answer: if you know your dose and you don’t overdose on edibles, you won’t build up any tolerance.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I agree, except that anyone can build a tolerance while just eating edibles. I know thats not exactly what you said, so ill explain.

Ive gradually switched from vaping to edibles over a year or more. For the longest time I just used 75mg of edibles for the day and a rare puff off a concentrate vape.

Now I just eat my meds and frequently go through 150+ mg per 24 hours. A lot of it is experimenting with new types of edibles. Ive made medicated maple syrup, honey, mct oil, chocolates, butter, coconut oil, tapioca maltodextrin, brownies, cookies, tinctures, chocolate covered nuts, gummies, capsules, and probably more that I forgot.

The delayed onset can be overcome. If I am in a hurry, it's infused mct oil under the tongue or a tsp of tapioca maltodextrin loaded with feco and mct oil. Both hit me in 15-20 minutes and build over an hour or so, and last 4-6 hours depending on the dose.

So I say ingesting ever increasing amounts build your tolerance no matter how you ingest. But medibles can be easier to keep track of, they last a lot longer, and there is no ritual of passing a joint/pipe/vape or sharing dabs.
    So it's more of a solitary deal, but with covid thats already the case for a lot of us.

• Like Like x 1