Importance of Shared Belief?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by handaman, Mar 13, 2021.

1. How important is it to you that others share your religious beliefs? Would you continue to practice your religion if you were isolated from others who share your beliefs?

I left the Christian church several years ago and sometimes miss having a religion. I’ve dabbled in various systems since, but nothing ever really sticks. Lately I’ve been debating whether it’s lack of community or something more that keeps me from settling. What are your thoughts on the importance of community to religion?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I dont do organized religion....so take this for what its worth....but I dont think community is important in religion....I think your practices and study of said religion is what's most important.....WITH THAT SAID.....community IS important for human beings.....and no matter where one gets it, it is essential to some degree.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I guess that depends why you believe what you believe.

I seek truth, so i would rather be alone with the truth than in company with a falsehood (that isn't to say my belief IS true).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. i made the rounds in the 70's and early 80's from Christianity to several flavors of Eastern philosophies... What i realized was when in a ashram chanting with a large room full of people, mostly my age and younger with a few oldies in the mix, or sitting in quiet meditation with same, or singing Christian songs in churches was... The actual "experience" was what mattered yet it didn't matter which "belief" but the "tribal" unity... Being in a large group with everyone on best behavior setting egos aside and focused on "unity" be it "God", guru, Christ or the "technique" or practice... The hot babes helped as well for the "test" and keeping focused... lol

You won't find it "out there" or from "anyone" as everything we need to know is inside, just a matter of taking time to go within and contact Infinity then Realize that is Our True Nature... We are One with all that is... The whole problem with humanity is the illusion of "separation" and that one is better or truer than the other... Being in group is just a pacifier for what one feels lacking in say being home alone living like a recluse...

Plenty of groups on Youtube as well to check out and follow those where you feel most comfortable... after all the past year even churches (those smart, not Covidiots) use televised services, Zoom, etc. Every dark cloud has a silver lining and forced introspection or meditation is that silver lining imo. But i'm old and don't really have any desires that need fulfilled after a full life. Things now just get in the way and weigh "me" down...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks for the responses guys, it helped. I think for me it’s impossible to ignore the power of community, and I definitely miss it sometimes, but more than anything, I’ve been missing the feeling of certainty I had as a child in the Christian church. I don’t think I will ever find that again, and I think that’s actually a good thing. Recognizing that is helping me move forward.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Yeah community can be very important, especially for the more social among us.

Admitting we are finite (in this form at least) we cannot hope to be certain of much, since that implies we possess such vast knowledge about whatever it is we think we are certain.

For me, I am more confident in my most fundamental beliefs and the further downstream of those, the less confident I am.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yes and the only thing we know for sure (per nonduality theory) is that "we are" or the sense of "I am"... Yet that is colored and clouded by misperceptions much of which are conceptual and manufactured by societies... Even if we could just BE in the "sense of" the first realization that "we are" which some say can come in the womb or at "birth", others say it's around age 2... However if we could find that pure unadulterated "sense of Being" without the collection of baggage and stay put there or keep returning to it. Eventually we would see it as temporary, transient illusion.

Then at some point the SELF snatches us up from the dream, or we relax, let go and fall into the abyss... Doesn't sound at all appealing to the make believe sense of self aka "ego" and why few make the shift. At best most of us only develop a "witness" sense of "being" which sees through the whimsical ordinary sense of self so easily swayed by desires, fears and the whole spectrum of emotions. They remain but a growing awareness that "this is not who I am" (the assumed egoic identification). It's enough to make most develop an interest in wiling away hours in front of the tube watching football, eating pizza, burgers and sloshing it down with beer... Feels so good to be grounded in "reality" again.. For awhile at least.

8. Shared belief is only as important as your desire to belong in a said community ,while taking into account the prerequisite to establish a form of common ground. We all want some sense of belonging and it can, but does not necessarily have to come from religion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tbh, I respect that we have our own religious beliefs and doing so, I expect others to respect also the faith or religion that I have. However, its ironic that we are only praising ONE ALMIGHTY yet we are divided by religions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Its n
    Its not important to me that others share my belief because its borderline blasphemy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Personal religious beliefs aren't a consensus. Follow your own path regardless of it's popularity. I'm glad you're questioning things because the answers you come up with will strengthen what you know to be true.

12. It can seem important to wear the right hat, sit in the right place, have the right facial hair, to fit in. To be accepted as a member of the club. And there is certainly a feeling of security and comfort that comes from that, and many people want it, especially when times are difficult. Many people are brought up with this idea, and then choose to leave it, because they feel claustrophobic, imposed upon, expected.

Religion is a kind of stepping stone as far as I'm concerned. Philosophies, ideologies, dogma, are meant to point the way to something that ends up very personal. Between you and the universe. And because there are others doing the same who find similar answers, at least for a while, these people may become your community. We tend to attract towards us those who are like us, but as we are always a work in progress, they may not stay, just as you won't.

But it is nice to feel validated. To feel like you're on the right path. And finding people who share your belief definitely helps, until you feel fine about being okay as the unique individual that you are.

13. It doesn't matter. We all have our own beliefs and I'll not let anyone interfere on what I believe. Respect is what needed for all of us to survive.

14. Only one person can walk the road beneath your feet.

it is you..

It is obviously more fun in life..if you are with people who share the same interests with you.