I took an Electric Nissan for a test drive

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Vee, May 21, 2019.

1. #1 Vee, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    [​IMG]
    Yeah I took a Leaf for a quick spin, as everyone else says is creepy quiet

I normally drive SUV's(rovers) so sitting in the tiny bucket freaked me out

great visablity front but poor the rest

It took me a few moments to adjust my thinking

as the pedals and stuff was so close

but the cost and the RUNNING costs blew me away

80Kw with a max of 90Kw front wheel drive, with a top speed of 150kph /95mph?

a small solar panel on the back that charges the small 12dc pc computer

with the big drive train battery in the floor pan

the EPA says the range is 112km 73 miles with nissan claiming 160Km /100miles

it does have annoying headlight lens that sticks out,

I should say catches my eye on the side and is very distracting

for city / town driving this would be a breeze but as ...

the battery replacement and service ...

Nissan has far to go

cheer/s

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I have been looking at these, so it is nice to read a review of one. The newer leafs supposedly have much better batteries, and battery management than the first gens, so battery problems aren’t as much of an issue. The cost of battery replacement does need to come down drastically though because 5k is a little high for something that is essentially a long term maintenance part. I think that is part of the reason they depreciate so fast. If the new leaf plus follows the same pattern I may pick one of those up in a year or so while it still has plenty of battery warranty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sounds okay but maybe only for living in the city and short commutes. Not sure I trust Nissan since Fiat took over and have not heard the best things from mechanics

I like the idea of an electric motorcycle, but it's range is only around 100 kilometres, plus it's 20 grand...could buy 4 nice bikes for that much!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. We were given one as a courtesy car while our x trail was in the shop on a recall for something I can’t remember what. We let the sales guy know we had a big chore day and he said it would be fine. It wasn’t and we had it exchanged after the first destination. The entire time the battery gauge was dropping like a stone and when called the shop they recommended we drive slower. We hobbled in the dealership just in time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. [​IMG]
    New electric vehicles will have to feature a noise-emitting device, under a new EU rule July 1

It follows concerns that low-emission cars and vans are too quiet, putting pedestrians at risk because they cannot be heard as they approach.
    All new types of four-wheel electric vehicle must be fitted with the device, which sounds like a traditional engine.
    A car's acoustic vehicle alert system (Avas) must sound when reversing or travelling below 12mph (19km/h).

New rule means electric cars must make noise

6. Why would any of you buy a Japanese car. Do you know what those people did to POWs....

• Funny Funny x 3

7. Its official people are too stupid to look before they walk out into live traffic... to bad though that darwinism isn't happening anymore, leading to the collapse of civilization.

As for the electric cars they are surprisingly 20 years behind radio controlled toys. It was in the early 2000's lithium batteries and brushless motors came to the scene and were dominating against their nitro motor counter parts....some twenty years later and we are just now seeing that technology hitting the consumer markets like brushless motor drills.

Makes me wonder where their heads are at.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. But I do have to ask @vostok hows the acceleration and power feel?

More of a safty guy as in hesitation is unacceptable.

Like these cars that stop the engine when stopped. They gotta start up. Boom rear ended by the time you get power

• Like Like x 1
  9. Not at all Power is Instant like Faaaaa-rK fast..

a neighbor now owns one
    our village 'test dummy' he tied a little chain to the rear to drag on the road to 'make some noise'
    as the silence.. freaks his livestock ....lol
    also the Eu has ordered E-cars must make more noise ....lololol
    (dumber) as I like silent cars ...lol

• Like Like x 2
  10. American is the POS on the block
    no different from Germany or China or Britain .
    We screwed Japan when we dropped the second bomb because they already surrendered days before.
    The US knew that Japan was going to attack Pearl Harbor .
    Every dam war America has entered has been a lie ...
    From the very beginning our government has lied …. starting with the Spanish American war

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

11. (10mins)Just watching the FrankFert Motor Show 2019
    thats all electric powered cars this year
    see the Germans are catching up at last
    besides VW got badly burnt in the last 'odemoter reading rage' months back
    lesson learnt ..lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. Get a minute take one for a test drive

and post back

cheers/

13. solved it for them!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. I was driving 140 ton electric mining haul trucks in 1979.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Get a minute take one (electric nissan) for a test drive

and post back

• Like Like x 1
  16. You know I have never drove a electric car ..the Haul trucks ,, well some were simple , some were scary .
    The older dresser/Wabco haul trucks had electrical system where the truck needed about 500 HP above parasitic load .
    What this means from a dead stop you are pushing down on the propel pedal to make the truck go forward .
    The engine rpms hit about 1000 rpm's and the contacts close putting 500 HP the wheel motors .
    This is all good if you are not driving the truck into a shop bay .
    But if your driving the truck into shop bay you have a 190 ton truck trying to do a leap frog .
    The truck will dam near do a wheelie or jump 20 feet as soon as the contacts close .
    PS the electric haul trucks are diesel/electric .

I am buying a dodge 2500 with a Cummins diesel and a overhead camper first part of April.
    Been working on this deal for a month or so .
    That's enough debt for me for awhile ..
    I plan on traveling as much as I can of this coming year .
    I have a 19 foot boat and me and my doggies is going on fishing trip ..
    I got a 5 gallon bucket of weed , and I am feeling good.
    For me a car will have to go 200 plus miles on one charge ?
    and get charged quickly ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. #17 killset, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    200 miles? Why so short. Electric vehicles are already killing that. Tesla roadster for example at 600 miles on a 6 hour charge with their level 2 charger. Going further then 600 miles get a quick charge at 1 of many charge stations popping up everywhere. Must combustion vehicles cant hit 600 miles without a fuel stop.

Im a true blood gear head. Gas, diesel and oil flow through my veins but i have to say these electric rides coming out are killing it. More tourque, more horsepower, and its instant, not like a combustion motor that needs to build up. Someday i might just have to throw away my wrenches.....ok well thats a stretch but just saying, electric is the way of the future and its going to be exiting for those who like speed and power. Even for us old school gear heads if we can get over the whole "electric" thing. I used to read everything i could find about combustuon engines but to be honest lately ive been gravitating to info on electrics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. I agree … VW electric car holds the pikes peek worlds record .
    Electric cars are in our future .
    It would be nice to have a new electric car ,, but I want a dodge diesel worse .

I been a mechanic all my life except I worked on heavy equipment or mining equipment .
    Been retired for ten years , as technology goes I am out dated ..

• Like Like x 2
  19. I like old rides. My buddy just got a really nice 02 dodge with 122,000 show room clean. The new dodges just dont do it for me. Im a gm guy, love my dirtymaxes but an 02 dodge might just have to be my next purchase. I currently have an 06 (late half of 06 so its an lbz engine 8th digit in the vin is "D") and a 15 duramax. 15 is my work truck, the 06 is my baby. The 15 is nice and about to be traded off but these new trucks with all their emesions bullshit is just problems waiting to happen. If you're going new or newer get a full delete asap or as soon as the warranty runs out. Anything from 08 on for chevy/gmc, I believe dodge is the same.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I love the acceleration part of it, but to me, the batteries still have a ways to go. Not to mention charging stations. I don't think I have seen a charging station in real life yet...

• Like Like x 2