I ran out of ph-up can i use baking soda?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Bigbudz3000, Sep 11, 2020.

1. I use the blue liquid ph-up but i ran out of it, can i use baking soda to even up the ph on my water for some weeks? I use a hydro ebb and flow system.

2. No. The salts will wreak havoc. You could get some potassium bicarbonate from a brew shop. I've used it in beer making.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. No even tho you asked in the Advanced Growing Techniques the answer is still no

you may get a better answer if you post First Time Marijuana Growers

good luck

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. You can use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate NaHCO3), but it will add sodium and give off CO2 gas.
    The sodium could get elements out of balance, and the CO2 will lower pH.
    Be careful, and don't overdo it, and it might provide a temporary fix.

• Like Like x 1
  5. last spring I was out of pH up and all the grow-shops were closed due to COVID, so I used baking soda to raise the pH for the entire grow and never had any issues....in fact it was my very best indoor sunshine grow.

I was using GH Maxigrow (plus Cal-Mag) in 100% perlite hempy 2L pop bottles

IMG_1232.JPG

6. Sent from my moto e6 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Do you have a regular garden center, nursery, or home improvement center around? You can get some garden lime or dolomite and mix it in with the water to bring the pH up.

Honestly if you're going in soil, the pH of the water going in isn't that big of a deal as the soil will buffer the pH.
    Oop I read it again and no you're not in soil so yeah.

Sent from my phbgf uijj tplkjn

8. In a pinch yes. As a standard practice... jury is out on that, but leaning strongly towards not so much.