I need a new keyboard

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Markc05, May 27, 2015.

1. Hey all, 
    My trusty, old Logitech gave up the ghost. So I am in the market for a new one. Budget- under 150$, light to med gaming, light coding, and other general use. I don`t care what the keyboard sounds like, I care only about bang for buck performance. Any recommendations appreciated. 
    Thanks

2. Look into cherry keys. There are red, black, brown, blue, cherries etc... Its the type keys. You can probably find a good brand on newegg for cheap. I bought my cousin a black widow 10 keyless with blue cherry's and that keyboard is clicky as fuck. Very fun to play on. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201042
    This is a brown cherry keyboard. Best bang for the buck imo. The keys are nice and have a tactile feel. I use it everyday for the past years now. The quality of these types of keyboards are top notch. Don't buy those logitech piece of crap membrane style keys.  

3. What about das or razer? They are mech keys. Fit the price range. There's ducky? Too. Apparently good. Any thoughts on those?

4. Ducky is a lot better then razor. I have tried all the main cherry keys and I like green the best. Remember, Razor is not using cherry mx switch but they use a cheaper switch from a Chinese company called kailh. They might be just as good but if I were you I would go for the cherry mx switches if you can.

5. Ducky seems very appealing, but so does das. Kind of a tossup for me at this point. Comparable price. A local store has their das inventory on sale right now, which is way cheaper than USD conversion right now. I found limited ducky locally.

Yeah then I would go for a Das keyboard as long as it's mechanical. I'm not too familiar with Das but they look pretty nice. Have you owned a mechanical keyboard before? Also, do you know what kind of switch you like? Do you want a heavy switch? light switch? Clicky? non clicky? I personally love a really heavy clicky switch so I tend to go for the greens but if I can't get the greens ill go for blues. If you are primarily gaming the red switch is good but I can't stand reds for typing. 

7. I use IBM mech boards at work. Other than that, I play guitar, so I have a lot of dexterity, so key weight doesn't bother me

8. I got the ducky zero. They had one on display, I played a quick demo, don't know the name was a fps. I really liked the keyboard.

What switches? Also, if you like it that's all that matters. 

10. Cherry MX red I think. Its pretty sweet with backlighting, and it feels solid built

Nice, enjoy!

12. You do know the link @LiudwigXIX posted is a spam/bs link so they get hits on a website right???

13. Fuckers are Ancient, these rule the waves thats when China decides to ship west?
    Tap: for the Mods, Members, You even Me

14. I got the razer elite black widow, had it for about a year. Its badass super fun to play games and clicky as hell, but it can be loud af especially when typing like a madman. If I were to buy again id buy the same keyboard but with orange switches for the quietness.

15. Stay away from the Razor Cynosa lite. The back lights are way too dull.

16. #16 mariopepper, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    I had 2 keyboards - both Logitech. Check their user manuals to know about hidden features and disadvantages first. For example Logitech K350 manuals are here. These keyboards seem to be nice options within 150$ budget imao.

17. i just bought a Razer Blackwidow Lite - it doesn’t have the multi color lights if you’re into that but mines white with white light, looks very clean. it was $89 bucks and so far i really like it but i’ve always been non too picky with my keyboards. usually rock the $20 logitech’s. definitely a step up! even typing with this thing i feel i can type faster. it came with some plastic o-rings that i guess are for sound and keystroke distance. haven’t messed with those tho.

18. The old apple keyboard I've had for years finally bit the dust, so my brother offered to buy me a new keyboard.

He got me a Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Low Profile, with Cherry MX speed switches. The only downside is the software, which uses 40% of my CPU when it's running. Other than that the keyboard is super smooth, much nicer than I am used to.

19. Guys this post is five years old. lol