Hydro-to-NoTill: Perpetually Dirty

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by astrohammer, Feb 10, 2021.

1. I'm not a 100% but I believe C:N is related to vermicompost but like I said I'm not for sure on that. Good thinking on larger lava rocks. Have a raised bed indoors and my dumb forgot it's a fresh virgin soil that has not been rooted. Roots help insanely with the drainage of soil so things got a little water clogged. Luckily I planted cover crops so everything is bouncing back now and can tell soil is drying quicker. Just make sure soil is super damp but not dry.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Also might be changing my idea on 2x 20gallons per tent.

Thinking 1x 40gallon per tent.

3. I love my raised fabric bed but takes a lot of soil.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Its amazing how much a good soil mix holds water. Ill give it a good spray, mix it up well, and look around....proceed to grab pumpsprayer again.
    Every time I tell myself dont add too much and in the end I never feel like I add enough. That water just gets gobbled.

Could you simplify or summarize cover crops to me? I lost myself in so much text and studies with cover crops that i kinda gave up on the idea and went with just mulch xP

5. How much that bed cost ya, how big?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cover crops literally put nitrogen and phosphorus back into the soil and their roots help with water penetration and they turn into mulch eventually.

7. Thats the one thing that erks me, the roots. Shouldn't I save every spec of space for the roots of the plant Im focusing on?

I can totally get behind growing covercrops in a seperate container and using it fresh as mulch for the cannabis pots. Get the nutrients, but not the taken up root space.

Fully aware I could be overestimating the spatial impact of a cover crops roots

8. Well I use a bed so I have a lot of root space. Believe the need equals to 164 gallons 4'x4'. Actually after this grow I plan on mixing the same batch of soil but fill up the bed more. Was tight on funds at the time but can just get that shit for free now. Pretty cool getting to meet the local farmers. Apparently they tip in weed a lot haha.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Woowee thats a nice bed.
    Well shit id be curious if they werent in humboldt ;)

10. Planted some old bag seeds I had just to test out the soil.
    About to send my soil sample as well.

And the coolest news...
    HLG 600R Spec ordered :).

Cant wait to be doing side by side tents with 2x sp250s and the Rspec.

We'll see how the seedlings continue to do, they look a bit lime.

Shit is going 20210315_232255.jpg 20210315_232616.jpg 20210315_232844.jpg Screenshot_20210315-233724_Shop.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. my wife would cut my nuts off if I spent 700 on a light. Hope it works out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lol, cool thing is I didnt spend a dime.

13. 100% germination out of 12 seeds. Would say the soil is good.

Also put another cuft of pumice in the soil. I feel like I could even put another. 20210318_215300.jpg

14. Made the homes, applied atleast 50 worms(nightcrawlers+wrigglers) each pot, top dressed MPB, Kelp, and Alfalfa Hay. Sprayed in with Recharge.

Everything ready and set up by next weekend: goal. 20210319_184244.jpg

15. Left some space on top just incase need more mulch space in the future. I only did about 1inch layer if that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Therell be a nice chunky update on Friday
    Soil test results will be in on Friday too :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Setup the second tent. Two exhaust fans, gonna try and go passive intake using the 3 vents at the bottom on each tent. They seem pretty sandwiched together but theres like 2-3 inches of space in between and on the sides. If the passive intake isnt grabbing enough cold air from the floor then gonna just have to get some intake fans.
    Thought of connecting the tents ventilation but didn't like the idea of warmer air being sent into the second tent. Would rather both get the same fresh air going in.

Setup the 600rspec, its beautiful.

Planted some bruce banner in three cups, gonna see which one is strongest before transplant.

And bam, soil test results.
    Im not a professional but phosphorus and potassium seem pretty dam high. CN ratio pretty low, but im not getting a funky smell on the soil.
    Nitrogen ppm at 8000 seems too hardcore. Definitely shoulda paid for a consult/suggestions.
    PH 6.2, a lot lower than I thought it was gonna be but should be okay. Definitely wanna send another soil test of the same soil after a few grows.

Still gotta setup double clip-on fans blowing on the lights towards the exhaust ducts and tower fans in the corners blowing wind in a circular pattern against the tent (i really like the cyclone method as apposes to blowing air directly on the plants). Big oscillation fan outside the tents to help mix the cold air from the ac and warm air from the tent. Anything to help reduce warm pockets in the room.

Gotta work out cabling and tidy up, make it look slick. Put a workbench of some kind in there maybe. Just waiting on the seedlings. These seeds are pretty old about now, so hoping theyre okay.

Screenshot_20210325-004107_Imgur.jpg Screenshot_20210325-004120_Imgur.jpg Screenshot_20210325-004130_Imgur.jpg Screenshot_20210325-004140_Imgur.jpg Screenshot_20210326-181300_Drive.jpg

18. There might be somethin screwy with having that much organic matter + phosphorus, so i am a little worried.

Its odd, i followed the recipe pretty exact. I actually didnt end up putting double kelp. Put less compost than the original recipe, but i did mix a bit of alfalfa hay a while ago.

My anions and cations are high as shit compared to other soil tests I see. Atleast my Ca:Mg ratio look good lol.

Would love anyones input

19. Wondering why no sodium came up