How to ties down the branch but which is the mainline branch I should ties down?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Guides' started by Celizean, Sep 1, 2018.

• Like Like x 1
  1. Dude I’m not sure what you are asking, but if you are talking about training your plants (LST), you needed to start doing that weeks ago. Your plant already has its basic shape : straight up. Training and tying down limbs and branches from the beginning allows you to shape the plant the way you want it to grow so you can squeeze the biggest yield you can get from the plant. You can’t really train it after it has taken on its own shape. When the plant gets older, the branches are often less pliable and become woody and are more likely to snap if you start bending and tying things down. I would recommend leaning how to supercrop. Search “how to supercrop cannabis” on YouTube and watch a few videos.

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Yep. Basically you start in week 2ish. The knowledged folk say the 5th node. Aka 5th pair of shoots coming out the center stalk.

What you *can* do now, go down. 3 or 4 sets of shoots from the top of your center stalk, and cut it just above a set of branches shooting out.
    What this late stage topping will do for you is *hopefully* stunt your growth and force the plant to bush out a bit more, but more importantly trying to cut down on your vertical growth through the end to harvest.
    Your secondary branches below where you make this paincut cut, will find themselves becoming the thickest buds you'll grow.

The last thing you *can* do is research LST.
    If you make yourself a simple square frame about the size of your growing space, and you can set the new frame with a net, or butchers twine which is easier to harvest later on over netting , but you can weave some on your longer growth the the outter edges of your last frame while leaving some room for the center of the plant to be woven a bit for the next few weeks. It should also help give you an even canopy when your buds are growing, AND give you a solid structure to support the weight of the growth, it's ALOT better than hanging string all over and having uneven distances between your buds and light source.

So what I'd suggest,
    1. Top the plant, force the sides to bush out and stunt your growth.
    2. Create an lst frame out of PVC and butchers twine. set it 2-3 inches below your current plant top line and weave as much of it as you can towards the outter edges of the frame.
    3. Give your plant a week or two of veg growth after these two stress events, it'll take a week before you start seeing new growth, but it'll be vigorous after that.
    4. Be prepared to prune the undergrowth as you enter flowering at this stage of the game.

Easiest way to figure is anything 6 inches below your canopy won't be getting sufficient light to grow buds, so these would be small popcorn buds, large fan leaves etc should be trimmed and discarded. The more you get rid of now, will make your plant focus all it's energy to where you want it to be for flowering.

Hope this all helps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. I forgot to add.
    Zip ties are your friends.
    I would normally put a zip tie on branches as I train them and fold them down. You can use twine to pull the zip ties down for a few days as your plants limbs get used to growing the way you tell it to.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. #5 OC Joe, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    You are starting very late but it may still be affective. If the stems break (rather than bend) the plant is probably DIGRM1.jpg too old. I use plain 16 gauge wire and straighten out about 7 inches. Bend a hook in one end then stick the non-hook end in the "ground" and secure the hook over a stem. When I use a trellis (SOG) I hook both ends, one hook holds the stem and hook the other end over one of the cords/strings to hold the stem down.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Wayyyy to late, just lillipop and put a net on her if you can. Or bend her over maybe ish.

6. Necro thread af.

7. Help what’s wrong with this guy? Boron deficiency or nutrient burn or what?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Are your pots always this dry? If the edges are crispy they underwatered... but it looks to be nute burns.. soil alittle hot?

9. That plant has a distinct look of Miracle Grow burn