How to hang the grow light in the room without a tent?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Drillytheflip, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Hey guys, after my first unsuccesful attempt of growing hulkberry auto I found out that I need way more powerful light as I had so I've ordered Mars Hydro TS600. I wanna grow just one plant and I have the whole room for it so no tent neccessary, but here comes also the issue - how to hang the growing lights in the plain room? Ideally I would like to avoid drilling holes in the ceiling as I am living in the rent and this May not be good for me when I will be leaving this place.

Bonus question:..is the electricity cost of this lamp unnoticable? Again asking for the reasons with the rent..

Thanks guys for all the help!

2. It's noticeable if you do a comparative bill check...everything powered costs something.

What's your situation in this room though?
    Is it legal to grow where you are?
    Do you have the room properly light sealed? (they are meant to get some actual dark too)
    Are you sure, even if legal, you want to broadcast what you're doing? Like it'll be pretty bright...if you don't have good sunblocking type shades/blinds up, and don't seal 'em somehow...you're going to be emitting a very bright and obvious light...wrong person sees that and you'll wish you'd thought about a tent.

How to hang a light without a tent...engineer something else I suppose.
    Maybe one of those "portarobe" type things with extendable poles...two or three of those knocked into one big frame might do it...but you're also gonna want to be sure of your work...if that collapses, your light is going down with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. It's only 100 watts so it won't make too big a hit to the wallet.

It's a pretty simple calculation based on kilowatts per hour. Your light being on for 1 hour would be 0.1 kw.

0.1 x (number of hours the light is on per day) x (the price of your electricity) x 30 days per month = monthly cost.

So lets assume you're paying $0.20 a kilowatt and your lights are on for 18 hours a day. It'll be 0.1 x 18 x 0.20 x 30 = $10.80 per month.
    Assuming the same price but 12 hours for flowering it'll be 0.1 x 12 x 0.20 x 30 = $7.20 per month.

4. You could drill a hole in the cieling and then plaster it up when you leave. Alternatively you could drill into the walls and maybe hand a wire between two wall. If you dont want to drill you have to build some kind of structure to hold the lamp.

If your walls are close you might be able to use telescopic shower curtain rods. If you do this I would use at least three or four rods for redundancy.

5. Buy a plastic storage shelf. Only install the top and bottom shelf (make sure you buy one with that capability or cut the middle shelves , middle out). Instant grow area

• Like Like x 1
  6. I had to do this for my buddy who lives in a building of people & had metal ceilings. I built simple A-Frames out of 2x4's with a ridge beam to hang the lights.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1