How to cure a crop of Marijuana + more.

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by jcj77d, Jul 6, 2007.

1. I have recently been drying on an open screen with a fan blowing indirectly for a few days, then into mason jars to slow it down and "burp"

I've been told to use a bottle sprayer to mist the bud a couple times, as you let it dry ( 2 weeks) to further develop the quality.

Any thoughts from the pros?

2. Please don't do that.
    That's why you cure it, to further develop the quality, taste and smell.
    Just stick to burping it inside mason jars.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thanks all

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. #144 Captain Greenbeard, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
    Ok, I have no idea whether the whole flavoring thing is possible or not but I'm pretty sure I like cannabis the way it tastes naturally and I don't need to make it into some kind of candy in order to enjoy it. All the buds need is a really good cure and as far as I see it - you haven't really mentioned anything about curing jcj77d, what you describe seem to be drying. Curing needs to take place in an air tight container after the drying process has reached a point where the stems snap but don't break off completely. This means there's still some moisture left in the stems and buds which is crucial for the curing process to be possible. You then place the buds carefully in masonry jars or similar. The curing is actually done with the help of anaerobic bacteria that feeds of the chlorophyll, sugars and starch. Anaerobic comes from the greek word "αναερόβιος" meaning = living without air, so it's absolutely essential that the buds are kept away from any ventilation at this point and burping the jars should be kept at an absolute minimum. Monitor the moisture content in the jars using a small hygrometer that you've placed inside the jars together with your buds so you'll know when the moisture levels reach too high and only burp at these moments until it stabilizes and you see no rise of humidity in the jars. The RH (Relative Humidity) should be at 62% and when you have reached this level and it stays there you can stop burping all together. The best way is to actually use Boveda 62% humidifier/dehumidifier packs that are placed inside the jars together with hygrometers. The Boveda packs will ensure that the moisture level is kept at 62% and the hygrometer lets you verify that this is the case. This way there's really no need for burping the jars at all and you thus make sure the curing process proceeds as fast as possible. Because everytime you burp the jars you let air inside which halts the anaerobic bacteria's consumption of chlorophyll, sugers and starch and the only reason you ever open the jars is to let excess moisture out, which in normal cases shouldn't be necessary when using Boveda packs IF the proper drying have been achieved before curing starts.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sounds more like drying than curing to me. Am I wrong?

Not to mention, the whole flavoring thing. Idk. Could someone possibly explain how this is a sticky period?

I'm being sincere.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dude he's not a corporation and doesn't have to credit anyone. This is for our benefit not to pick apart. So he copied and pasted! Big deal. This isn't for a grade. That made it easier for us. Go smoke something and chill

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. @Gonjahgod85 I couldn't agree more. Dude likes to type I will give him that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. 2 weekFlush, 2week trim/dry,then cure 2-4 weeks mason jars opening jars every day or so. Done puff (~);-}

9. Everyone has their own method of drying and curing buds. Any method is a good place to start until you figure out what works best for you and your drying /curing environment, and to your preference for cured bud. Let's all be respectful and show some appreciation for the information that everyone has kindly shared here.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Haha I've always thought the same thing about this thread.. Why would so much bad information be a sticky? I understand the dude has passed away, but that doesn't excuse all the wrong information posted in this thread. Copy and pasted too... Haha what a crock.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hey guys, so if I wanted to store 1lb or so in giant mason jars for a year plus how often would I need to come into the room and burp the jars per year? These buds are already dried and have a nice cure but I'd be putting them away in a back room for a while.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Once product is dried to 62-65 % I place a 60 gram size.. 62% Boveda humidity pack and seal the jar for good.. No need to open..
    [​IMG]
    You can see the packs in the half gallon mason jars..
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  13. What's the opinion of Cannavaults around here? I went with those instead of mason jars because I was under the impression the light exposure is not good for the dried buds. I've been putting my harvest in the Cannavaults after 1-2 weeks in the dryer bin. I have boveda packs but haven't been using them, seemed like they were keeping the buds more moist than the vaults I didn't put them in. RH in my house is < 40%.

14. To pricy for my taste.. !/2 gallon mason jars are 2 bucks each and a 60 gram Boveda pack is just right for that in my book.. I store the jars in the cases in a dark cupboard in the garage low on the cement floor for as cool as I can get..
    The 62 % Boveda packs while perfect humidity for curing are just a shade to wet for instant smoking when removed from the jar.. I just set out what's needed a day or 2 early and it not an issue..
    Drying is so subject to local conditions it's impossible to advise anybody on how to get it done outside of a general idea.. The whole snapping branches would have it turn to dust when touched here.. Way to low humidity for that shit..
    Slow dry taking about a week to get to 65% humidity.. Below 55% no cure is possible so you really need to get it right the first time.. No do overs.. To dry is like an overdone steak.. No fix.. That's what brings out the mowed lawn clipping stink..
    My 2 cents
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  15. Hey I'm nearing
    I'm just wondering how this turned out for you if you can even remember it was a while back.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Why not harvest just after a good water to insure a lengthy drying process?

Seems to go against common practice.

17. I have harvested the Hydrophonics grow,chemdawg, Blue Dream, Chocolope, Train Wreck. I have 2 grow rooms 10x5. I let the grow hang 14 days in 50% Humidity and 65 degrees, fan on and dark. Slow process. I have put in mason jars 2 months ago. Pull one out when needed. Why is the smell " hay".
    1st grow

18. So I replaced my LED's with a normal light bulb and left my circulating fan and extraction fan on. I have a similar box that cures meat strips about a half inch thick (+- 1.5 wide) in 3 days. I suspect my 'dehydration' box will cure my harvest quicker than the standard 2 or so weeks? How can I test?

19. Because there still too wet and you didn't open your containers daily. I usually let my shit just lay out every couple days on a table or in a wide tub not too high you want even shit...then jar up for a day or two burp them the days there in the containers...do that a couple times you'll know when it's nice and almost dry and good enough to store bro...

MPM

• Like Like x 2
  20. You generally are.! Especially considering trichs store the good stuff and pistils being a different part of the plant only serve to collect pollen only lol... Bit of a sweeping statement IMO the experienced grower will harvest depending on thc/cbd blend desired and adjust for the strain... Not necessarily as late as suggested at 85% amber....